STAFFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > STAFFORDSHIRE > 2003-08 > 1059824757

From: "Keith" <>
Subject: Re: [STS] British Vital Records Index
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:45:57 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 11:24 PM

> The British Vital Records index is the IGI but on cd's. It includes names
> not on the IGI. It can be bought from the LDS or if you need lookups
email me
> as I have it

The BVRI contains records extracted from parish registers by the LDS
extraction program, but ones which have not been subject to ordinance rites,
hence they do not generally appear on the IGI. Duplication on both BVRI and
IGI is usually due to the record having been submitted to the latter by a
patron.

A valuable tool to have at a very nodest cost.

Keith Wellington, NZ

> Could someone please advise me what the British Vital Records Index is,
and
> whether it is available in any of the local record offices, libraries and
so
> on?
>
> Is it useful?
>
> Thanks