STAFFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > STAFFORDSHIRE > 2006-04 > 1145866050

From: "Charles" <>
Subject: Re: [STS] Gallipoli
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:07:30 +0900

Hi Ros,
I don't think there isn't a family in the UK didn't lose someone.

We were lucky. Out of two families - EVANS and GUNTHER - only two were
killed. Archie GUNTHER at Gallipoli and Robert Henry GUNTHER in North Sea in
the last year of the war (ship was torpedoed).

I'm planning to write a small book on the men from my town during the
Gallipoli campaign and my target is 2015 - the 100th anniversary - that is,
of course, if I'm still around and capable.

I guess we will never forget the loses but I always think of how
governments seemed to have learned nothing from the deaths of so many.

Best wishes,
Charles