STALNAKER-L Archives

Archiver > STALNAKER > 2009-02 > 1234059436

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [STALNAKER] Mary Bell Stalnaker born 1823 in Lewis Co. W.Va.
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 02:17:16 -0000

Author: starwanderer
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.stalnaker/242.3/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I have both Stalnakers and Snyders (aka Sniders) in my family, with my Snyders being from Lewis County.

Out of curiosity I searched for Mary Bell on www.wvculture.org. There is a death record for her there and it indicates that her father was John Stalnaker and mother was Lydia Bell. I could not read the cause of death. Immediately below her name is an unnamed Walker child who died the day before. I am thinking that her death may be related to childbirth.

If you decide to check this site out, do not stop with the typed page where someone transcribed the death record. They show Mary Bell's father as Hatmaker, or something similar, but when I looked at the record it clearly read "Stalnaker".

I also found a Harriet Walker married to a William Snider on October 1, 1858 in Harrison County. This would probably make her too old to be the daughter of Mary Bell and William. Perhaps this particular Harriet is a sister of William Walker or perhaps if Mary Bell was his second wife, a daughter from a previous marriage. The 1880 census gives her an estimated birth year of 1836.

Information regarding this Harriet's family can be found on www.familysearch.org under 1880 census where it lists the following as her family:

Wm. SNIDER Self M Male W 52 WV Miller
Hariet SNIDER Wife M Female W 44
Oliver SNIDER Son S Male W 20
Mellville A. SNIDER Son S Male W 17
Mary SNIDER Dau S Female W 14
Alvernon SNIDER Dau S Female W 10
Wm. SNIDER Son S Male W 8 WV
Minnie L. SNIDER Dau S Female W 5

Good luck and hope that something in this is helpful!

Important Note: