STAMPER-Family-Project-L Archives

Archiver > STAMPER-Family-Project > 2010-08 > 1282602938

From: "Pam S. Fitch" <>
Subject: Re: [STAMPER-FAMILY-PROJECT] Sigel Stamper
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:34:19 -0500

Hi Jill,
Sigel Stamper is my great grandfather. You are right there is a story
behind it. I will paste some info. below. If you would like further
back let me know. (I try to cut some of the info. out, I know it is
quite long)

Pam
Pamela Stamper-Fitch
Dau. of William & Martha 'Bellamy' Stamper
Son of Robert & Louisa 'Eliza' 'Stamper' Stamper
Dau of Sigel & America 'Arrowood' Stamper
Son of Margaret P. Stamper & William 'Big Berry' Turner

Descendants of Margaret P. Stamper

Generation No. 1

1. MARGARET P.8 STAMPER (JOEL7, RICHARD6, JOEL5, JONATHAN BROOKS4,
POWELL3, JOHN2, PHILLIPE "PHILIP"1)1 was born Apr 1849 in Breathitt Co.,
KY., and died Aft. 1930 in Breathitt Co., KY?. She met (1) WILLIAM
HENRY 'BERRY' TURNER 1877, son of HENRY TURNER and ELIZABETH MAY. He
was born 12 Feb 1853 in Breathitt Co., Kentucky, and died 07 Aug 1940 in
Crockettsville, KY.. She met (2) DANIEL GRIFFITH. She married (3)
WILLIAM 'GRASEY' 'BILL' TURNER 20 Dec 1881 in Breathitt Co, KY2, son of
JAMES TURNER and MARY CAUDILL. He was born 1839 in Canoe, Breathitt
Co., KY., and died Bef. 1900 in Breathitt Co, KY?

Notes for MARGARET P. STAMPER:
1870 Elliott Co, Ky census. Margaret is listed as "dom. servant KY."
At the age of 21 Margaret is living with her sister Nancy and
brother-in-law Pleasant Wilson

1880 June 24th, Crocketsville M.D. #4, Breathitt co., KY. Census page
no. 56.
#474/498 (living in HH of brother Joel Jr. & Matilda Stamper with their
children & father Joel Sr.)
Stamper Margret 33 Sister single Housekeeping KY NC KY., Sigel 2 Nephew
KY KY KY., Mary 6/12 Nov. Niece KY KY KY.

1900 Crockettsville, BCKY census house #19.
Although Margaret md William Turner, she is listed as a Widow in 1900
Breathitt Co, Ky census, called Margaret Stamper, with children showing
last name of "STAMPER", shows she is mother of 6 children 5 living, 3
living at home: Katey 17, Malinda 12 and William 10. (Where and who is
the child that is missing?).

In 1920 Crockettville, Breathitt Co., KY census:
#25 Stamper, Sigel head age 42
Turner, Margat Mother age 71
Hall, Ella niece age 17.

(Ella is not Sigel's niece. Ella was the daughter of James & Addie
'Noble' Hall.)

1930 Margaret was living with her son William Turner and his family at
the age of 82.

Sigel's father was William 'Big Berry' Turner, info. given to me by Pam
Turner Baker, great-granddaughter of Sigel & America's, granddaughter of
Charlie & Elizabeth, Information was past down from Charlie himself.

Notes for WILLIAM HENRY 'BERRY' TURNER:
1880 B June Crockettville, Breathitt Co., KY census #482/506
1900 June 23, Crockettsville, Breathitt Co., KY census #285/293
1920 Jan 13th, Crockettsville, Breathitt Co., KY. Census #78/78
1930 April 11th, Crockettsville, Breathitt Co., KY. #170/173

Was told that a Berry Turner was the father of my great-grandfathr Sigel
Stamper. Sigel age 2, Mary age 6 mos. and his mother Margaret P.
Stamper was living with her brother Joel Stamper Jr. (and his family)
with father Joel Stamper, Sr. at #474/498 Crocketville.

Berry Turner's sister Emaline was also married to William G. Stamper -
brother to Margret P. Stamper.

Berry Turner's son by 2nd wife Barry Turner Jr. told me that William
Henry Turner went by the name of Berry or Big Berry Turner from 1860 on.
Barry also told me that Berry Sr. spend most of his adult life on Long's
Creek at Crockettsville, Berry Turner Sr. is buried at Crockettsville
cemetery (surrounded by Hearld's old homestead) is on a hill at the
mouth of the Joe Branch where it flows into the Middle Fork River, Barry
said there where about a 100 relatives buried there.

On Charles Hays website it states: "There is a record of Big Berry
Turner that breaks all records in Breathitt Co.,; he is the father of
twenty-two children, the grandfather of one hundred and eight
grandchildren, the great grandfather of one hundred and twelve children,
and the great-great grandfather of four children. He was born on Feb.
12, 1853. He married when he was nineteen.

On grave stone is reads: BERRY TURNER B. FEB. 12. 1854 D. AUG. 7.
1940 (picture of grave stone given to me by William 'Bill' Herald)

More About WILLIAM HENRY 'BERRY' TURNER:
Burial: Aug 1940, Crockettsville Cemetery, Crockettsville, KY.

Notes for DANIEL GRIFFITH:
Believe Daniel is David Daniel Griffith b. March 1830 Clay Co., KY.
Married 1st: Isabelle Turner 2nd: Nancy Turner.

Notes for WILLIAM 'GRASEY' 'BILL' TURNER:
Breathitt Co., KY. census #132/132.

Child of MARGARET STAMPER and WILLIAM TURNER is:
i.SIGEL9 STAMPER, b. 08 Oct 1877, Breathitt Co., KY.; d.
12 Dec 1935, Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY.; m. (1) AMERICA ARROWOOD, 22
Jan 1896, Breathitt Co, KY2; b. 04 Feb 1877, Canoe, Breathitt Co ., KY.;
d. 10 Aug 1945, Lennox? Middletown, OH.; m. (2) ELLA 'ELLEN' HALL, 09
Feb 1922, Breathitt Co, KY.; b. 1904, Kentucky.

Notes for SIGEL STAMPER:
On his death certificate it list his name as Sirgel Herald Stamper.
(Info was given by the Sheriff, I don't believe this is correct). Also
list his father as a Ros? Hogg born in Breathitt Co., KY. and mother as
Margatt Turner of Breathitt Co., KY. (Father was Berry Turner and
mother was Margaret P. Stamper.)

(This info. was given to me by Pam Turner Baker on Aug. 14, 2002,
granddaughter of Charlie Stamper and great granddaughter of Sigel
Stamper, Sigel was killed at a place called "The Bloody Bucket" on old
Ky 15 in Jackson):
Sigel was in jail for killing Curt Smith. He had been playing cards
with Curt and some of his friends. He had won their money and they had
gone outside on the porch and made it up to get their money back.
Someone told Grandpa Charlie years later that they had been on the porch
and had over heard them planning but was afraid and had run off and was
afraid to tell what he had heard afraid the men that were with Curt
would kill him. The man said that he could have clear Sigel and that
Sigel had to kill him but he was afraid to talk. Mom said Grandpa
always told her that Sigel was a mean person and everyone was afraid of
him. Grandpa told her the night Sigel was killed he had been playing
the banjo (grandpa said he was really good) and drinking. Two of his
daughters by his second wife went to get him said they were on either
side of him helping him out the door when he was shot in the back.
Grandpa always told us he was shot with a shotgun. The man that killed
him was believed to be a Combs. He never spent a day in jail over it.

(This info. was also given to me by Pam Turner Baker):
Grandpa used to tell us about Sigel being shot through both lungs when
they lived at the coal camp houses at Copeland. Said he walked about a
mile home after being shot. The camp doctor told them he was a strong
man and if he could vomit up the blood out of his lungs he would
probably get all right. Grandpa said he started to vomit a few hours
later. And it took him about a year to recover but he got better.
Grandpa always said that would have killed a lesser man and I would have
to agree.

Children names from Sigel 2nd marriage given to me by Pam Turner Baker &
Betty Lois Stamper Turner.

Obtain some additional information on children of Sigel and 2nd wife
Ella given to me by there great granddaughter- Erin Humphrey at

Also from Erin: James Hall and Sigel were best friends until Sigel ran
away with Ella..

1900 Breathitt Co., KY census Crockettville #20/20.
Stamper, Sigel head M W Oct 1877
America wife F W Feb 1877
Louisa dau. W F Oct 1896
George W. son M W April 1898
Mary A. dau. W F Feb. 1900

1910 Franklin Co., KY. Penitentiary
#28 Stamper, Sigel Prisoner M (male) W (white) 32 (age) M(married)
(very hard to read some ot it.

1920 Breathitt Co., KY census Crockettville #23/25.
Stamper, Sigel head M W 42
Turner, Marget mother F W 71
Hall, Ella niece F W 17

1930 Breathitt Co Jackson (I believe Sigel was in prison again during
this time.)
71/73
Ellen Stamper 26
Mae 9
Myrtle 7
Pearlie 4
Sigel 1 and 8 months

about Sigel Stamper Name: Sigel Stamper City: Not Stated
County: Owsley State: Kentucky Birth Date: 8 Oct 1878
Race: White Roll: 1653778 DraftBoard: 0
(listed as tall, stout, black eyes and gray hair.age 40)

More About SIGEL STAMPER: Death Cert #.28884 Reg. #53.
Burial: 14 Dec 1935, Canoe Road, Breathitt Co, Kentucky
Cause of Death: Homicide - one (1) 38 ball in back and out in right
chest.
Medical Information: Informant: Sheriff B. A. Collurs of Jackson, KY.

Notes for AMERICA ARROWOOD:
The name of America's 2nd husband George Yarber given to me by Mary E.
'Roberts' Bush (on Oct. 23, 1999).

America is buried in the Woodside Cemetery 1401 S. Woodside Blvd.
Middletown, OH. 45044 website www.woodside cemetery.org
Age 68, she was interred 8-13-1945 in Section 6, Lot 2-B, Grave #5,
Birthplace: Kentucky (Joseph R. Baker F.H., Inc.) (I have pic. Of
headstone from Tom Stamper)

Death Cert. # 15837, Reg # 275, Reg. Dist. No. 131, Primary reg. Dist

More About AMERICA ARROWOOD:
Burial: 13 Aug 1945, Woodside Cemetery, Middletown, OH.
Cause of Death: Cerebral Hemorrhage, ?, (1 wk) due to Cerebral Urterio
Sclerosis (2 yrs)
Medical Information: D. F. Gerhr M.D. of Middletown, OH. signed Aug 13,
1945. Informant: Geo W. Yarber of 3217 Navaho St.
Occupation: Aug 1945, Housewife
Residence: Aug 1945, 3217 Navaho St, Oneida, Middletown, Butler Co., OH.

More About ELLA 'ELLEN' HALL:
Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Southgate, KY.

Child of MARGARET STAMPER and DANIEL GRIFFITH is:
ii.MARY9 STAMPER, b. 09 Jan 1879, Canoe, Breathitt Co.,
KY.; d. 29 Jun 1917, Lily, Langlade, Wisc.; m. DANIEL BOONE GIBBS, 25
May 1897, Breathitt Co., KY2; b. 26 Feb 1880, Breathitt Co., KY..

Notes for MARY STAMPER:
On Mary's death cert. is listed full name: Mary Griffith Gibbs, born
January 9, 1881. Father- Daniel Griffith born Kentucky. Mother-
Margaret Stamper born Kentucky. (death cert. given to me by Jeane
Hanson.)

A lot of the info. on Mary & family given to me by Jeane Hanson e-mail
adr: . Mary told me that on some documents say
last name of Stamper and on other it list her last name of Griffith.
Birthdates are also show different.

I obtain the date of birth from a census as 1879, Also found in the 1900
Breathitt Co., census her date of birth of Jan. 1880. Boone Gibbs date
of Feb 1879 and John Gibbs May 1898.

On Mary's & Boone's marriage it listed Mary as Mary G. Stamper.

More About MARY STAMPER:
Burial: 02 Jul 1917, Lily, Wisc.
Cause of Death: Myo Carditis also contributory- gastro Enteritis her
age 36 yrs t mos 20 days.
Medical Information: Informant: John Gibbs of Lily Wis. Undertaker:
McCandless & Zobel of Antig. Wis.
Occupation: Housewife

Notes for DANIEL BOONE GIBBS:
Jeane Hanson told me that about a year after her Great Grandmother Mary
died her Great grandfather up and left their 5 children and no one ever
heard from him again. Another family mystery. (He dissapear around 1918
from Wisc. area.)

1900 Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY. Census
Gibbs, Boone 21 Feb 1879 Md 3 yrs KY., Mary 20 Jan 1879 KY., John 2 May
1898 KY.

1910 May Langdale, lWisc. Census
Gibbs, Boone D. Head 32 M1 12 yrs KY KY KY Occ- Loading logs-Logging co.
Mary wife 28 M1 12 yrs born 4 children 4 living, KY KY KY., John 11 KY.,
Woodsie 8 KY., Rosie M 6 Wisc., Boone D. 3 Wisc.

(I think the census below for 1920 is good possibility that this is
Boone)
1920 Jan. Santa Precinct, Benewah Co., Idaho
#18/29/24 Gibbs, Bud Boarder M W 40 S, KY KY KY Occ- Laborer - woods.
living in H H of Ripley, George W. with lots of other boarders.

about Daniel Boone Gibbs Name: Daniel Boone Gibbs
City: Not Stated County: Langlade State: Wisconsin
Birth Date: 26 Feb 1880 Race: White Roll: 1674748
DraftBoard: 0

Marriage Notes for MARY STAMPER and DANIEL GIBBS:
Married at Siggel Stamper in the presence of Siggel Stamper and William
J. Arrowood, and signed by Nathan Arrowood.

Children of MARGARET STAMPER and WILLIAM TURNER are:
iii.KATHERINE "KATEY"9 TURNER, b. Dec 1882, Breathitt Co.,
KY.; d. Kentucky; m. (1) JULY FINN, Abt. 1900; b. Abt. 1880, Kentucky;
d. Abt. 1917; m. (2) JAMES 'JIM' MILLER, 1918, Kentucky; b. Abt. 1896,
Kentucky; d. 08 May 1976, Breathitt Co., KY..

Notes for KATHERINE "KATEY" TURNER:
Obtain info. on Katey husbands from Ruth (granddaughter of Lydia,
Katey's half -sister) her e-mail addr is:

1920 Jan 16 Precinct , Breathitt Co., KY #67/67
1930 April Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY. #79/81

On website Find A Grave. found a Catherine Miller born 1880 died 1964
believe this is Katherine, Katherine's sister Lydia Turner Finley also
buried in this cemetery.

More About KATHERINE "KATEY" TURNER:
Burial: 1964, Snowden Cemetery (AKA Finley Cem), Jackson, KY. (Believe
she is the one buried there)
Residence: Bridge Hollow, Jackson (Breathitt Co.,) KY.

iv.MALINDA 'LINDA' TURNER, b. Jul 1889, Breathitt Co., KY..
v.WILLIAM 'WILLIE' TURNER, b. 10 Mar 1890, Canoe,
Breathitt Co., KY.; d. 01 Jun 1959, Breathitt Co., KY.; m. LIZZIE
'COLEY' COLE, 1912, Kentucky; b. 1879, Kentucky; d. 1947, Breathitt
Co., KY..

Notes for WILLIAM 'WILLIE' TURNER:
about Willie Turner Name: Willie Turner
County: Breathitt State: Kentucky
Birthplace: Kentucky;United States of America
Birth Date: 10 Mar 1890 Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1644032 DraftBoard: 0

1920 Jan. 29th Prcnt #1, Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY. Census #264/271
1930 April 18, North Fork Rd of the KY. River ? Dist. Rd. Breathitt,
Jackson , KY census. by A.B Eversole
141/148 North Fork of the KY. River, ? Dist. Road.
William Turner head 41 farmer all marked KY KY KY Veteran in
WW.
Lizzie 50 wife laundress
James L. 17
Frank 12
Ruth 9
Ross 5
Margaret Turner mother 82 wd

Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
about Willie Turner Name: Willie Turner
Death Date: 1 Jun 1959 Death Place: Brtht
Age: 069 Residence: Breathitt Volume: 23
Certificate: 11373

More About WILLIAM 'WILLIE' TURNER:
Burial: Jun 1959, Jackson Cemetery, Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY.
Military service: Ky Pvt COM 17 Inf 11 Div WWI
Occupation: 1930, Farmer

More About LIZZIE 'COLEY' COLE:
Burial: 1947, Jackson Cemetery, Jackson, Breathitt Co., KY.
Occupation: 1930, Laundress