STARNES-L Archives

Archiver > STARNES > 2001-11 > 1006308897

From: "Trish Carden" <>
Subject: Re: [STARNES] Wm-Fannin Co, TX
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:14:57 -0600

Janie,

I can't prove for certain that my Thomas J. Starnes is yours but I have a
Thomas J. Starnes born about 1855. The time fits. He would have been 38
when Estes Doan Starnes was born in 1893.

He is the son of CHARLES STARNES and NANCY RAFFERTY.

I'll check my notes to see if I have anything more on him.

He might not be the right one but it is a place to start.

Let me know what you think. Here is what I have on the Descendants of
Andrew Starnes. Thomas J. Starnes is near the bottom.

Generation No. 1

1. ANDREW1 STARNES was born Abt. 1770 in Starnberg ?, Germany, and died
Abt. 1842 in Cany Fork River, Smith Co. now DeKalb Co. Tennessee. He
married CATHERINE SHERRILL in Mecklenburg or Cabarais Co?, NC, daughter of
JOHN SHERRILL and SARAH UNKNOWN. She was born 1772 in Pennsylvania (or
Maryland), and died 1852 in Caney Fork River, Smith Co. now DeKalb Co.
Tennessee.

Notes for ANDREW STARNES:
Moved to Smith county (now Dekalb County around 1800

Andrew and Catherine are buried in Starnes Cemetery (now Lotnoil, Mt. Holly
Cem.)
They are buried in Lot 1, Graves #21 (Jerry/Jeremiah), 22 (Mary Ann STOKES),
75 (Andrew), 76 (Catherine
SHERRILL), 111 (Chas./Charles) & 112 (Nancy RAFFERTY) in the Mt Holy
Reinterment Cemetery near Smithville (Dekalb) Tennessee. The information
came from the Nashville District of the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Starnes, H. Gerald and Starnes, Herman, Of Them That Left a Name Behind,
Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD: 1983, p. 694, and found the following
summary of the
1850 census of Smith County, TN:
Charles Starnes, 36, Nancy, 35 (both born in TN.), William, 14, Jeramiah,10,
Burket, 5, Manda, 4.
Frederick Starnes, 38, Mary, 39 (both born in TN.), Martha, 14, John, 11,
William, 8, Jacob, 7, Joseph, 6.
Henry Starnes, 40, Delila, 38 (both born in TN.), Sarah, 19, Charles, 15,
John, 8; Ladina, 4, Catherine, 78 [this appears to me to have been Andrew
STARNES' widow, Catherine (SHERRILL) STARNES].
John Starnes, 24, Leatha, 28 (born in Tenn. & N.C.), Elizabeth, 6, Meter, 5,
David, 2.

1820 Smith County Tennessee Census
88 1850 Starnes Andrew 3 males under 10
1 male over 45
1 female under 10
2 females 10-16
1 female over 45
1 of the above in agriculture
Source: Jim Lewis
Supposedly, Andrew owned all of the flat land from the bluffs up to Cove
Hollow and about a mile up Long Branch and had 6 separate orchards on this
land, which was left to the 6 children. Coincidently, Giles Williams owned
much of this same land. The original home burned down on a Sunday morning in
about 1917.

Notes for CATHERINE SHERRILL:
WILSON COUNTY, TN - CENSUS - 1804 Tax List (don't know if there is a
connection)
Sherrill, W. Samuel
Sherrill, Able
Sherrill, Neet
Sherrill, Reubin
Sherrill, Ephraim
Sherrill, Ambros
Sherrill, Jacob

Children of ANDREW STARNES and CATHERINE SHERRILL are:
2. i. DELILAH SUSANNA2 STARNES, b. Abt. 1795, TN; d. Aft. 1869, Izard Co.,
Arkansas.
3. ii. ELIZABETH STARNES, b. June 25, 1807, TN; d. October 07, 1884.
4. iii. JANE STARNES, b. Abt. 1808, TN; d. Aft. 1860.
5. iv. HENRY STARNES, b. Abt. 1810, TN; d. Abt. 1892, possibly Illinois,
Missouri, Kentucky.
6. v. FREDERICK STARNES, b. Abt. 1812, TN; d. Abt. 1893.
7. vi. CHARLES STARNES, b. April 06, 1814, Smith, now DeKalb Co., TN; d.
February 18, 1893, Dekalb Co, TN.
8. vii. JOHN STARNES, b. 1826, Tennessee.

Generation No. 2

2. DELILAH SUSANNA2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1795 in TN, and died
Aft. 1869 in Izard Co., Arkansas. She married JOHN MCGINNIS Abt. 1827, son
of WILLIAM MCGINNIS and TRIFENA TAYLOR. He was born Abt. 1804, and died
February 1849 in Dekalb Co., TN.

Notes for DELILAH SUSANNA STARNES:
Susannah Starnes, dau of Andrew Starnes, married John McGinnis son of
William
McGinnis. William was son of Alexander McGinnis Sr. John had one known
brother, William McGinnis Jr, married Gillacy Prior. William Jr moved ot
Izard Co., Arkansas as did the widow Susannah Starnes McGinnis. In 1850
DeKalb Co., TN Census Susannah had children: Andrew b 1828, William 1830,
Catherine 1832, John 1835, Eliza 1839, Henry 1845, and Frances 1847. In
1860
Susannah and all her sons were in Izard Co., Arkansas.
source: <>

Children of DELILAH STARNES and JOHN MCGINNIS are:
i. ANDREW3 MCGINNIS, b. 1828.
ii. WILLIAM MCGINNIS, b. 1830.
iii. CATHERINE MCGINNIS, b. 1832.
iv. JOHN MCGINNIS, b. 1835.
v. ELIZA MCGINNIS, b. 1839.
vi. HENRY MCGINNIS, b. 1845.
vii. FRANCES MCGINNIS, b. 1847.

3. ELIZABETH2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born June 25, 1807 in TN, and died
October 07, 1884. She married BENNETT BRASWELL Abt. 1830. He was born
1798, and died 1869.

Notes for BENNETT BRASWELL:
Bennett Braswell received Andrew Starnes' Family Bible at the time that
Andrew's processions were divided

Child of ELIZABETH STARNES and BENNETT BRASWELL is:
9. i. WILLIAM ANDREW3 BRASWELL, b. November 17, 1830; d. August 27, 1885.

4. JANE2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1808 in TN, and died Aft. 1860.
She married JOHN W. WILLIAMS 1824, son of WILLIAM WILLAMS. He died 1859.

Notes for JANE STARNES:
1850 Smith County Tennessee Census
1 651 651 Williams John 55 M Laborer 250
Tennessee X X
2 651 651 Williams Jane 42 F
Tennessee
3 651 651 Williams Catherine 19 F
Tennessee
4 651 651 Williams Andy 17 M Laborer
Tennessee
5 651 651 Williams John 15 M Laborer
Tennessee
6 651 651 Williams Federick 13 M
Tennessee
7 651 651 Williams Margriet 13 F
Tennessee
8 651 651 Williams Whitfield 11 M
Tennessee
9 651 651 Williams Henry 3 M
Tennessee
REMARKS: Handwritten Page # 705;Lists 1 Married, 5 Att School

Children of JANE STARNES and JOHN WILLIAMS are:
i. JAMES MONROE3 WILLIAMS, b. 1825; m. UNKNOWN, 1849.
ii. WILLIAM WILLIAMS, b. 1827; m. UNKNOWN, 1852.
iii. CATHERINE WILLIAMS, b. 1831.
iv. ANDY WILLIAMS, b. 1833.
v. JOHN WILLIAMS, b. 1835.
vi. FEDERICK WILLIAMS, b. 1837.
vii. MARGRIET WILLIAMS, b. 1837.
viii. WHITFIELD WILLIAMS, b. 1839.
ix. HENRY WILLIAMS, b. 1847.

5. HENRY2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1810 in TN, and died Abt. 1892 in
possibly Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky. He married DELILA UNKNOWN Abt. 1830.
She was born 1812 in TN, and died Aft. 1860.

Notes for HENRY STARNES:
1850 census of Smith County, TN:
20 647 647 Starnes Henry 40 M Laborer
500 Tennessee X X X
21 647 647 Starnes Delila 38 F
Tennessee
22 647 647 Starnes Sarah 19 F
Tennessee
23 647 647 Starnes Charles 15 M Laborer
Tennessee
24 647 647 Starnes John 8 M
Tennessee
25 647 647 Starnes Ladina 4 F
Tennessee
26 647 647 Starnes Catherine 78 F
PA [this appears to have been Andrew STARNES' widow, Catherine (SHERRILL)
STARNES].

Souce: Jim Lewis
In 1850 Henry was living on Long Branch with his mother, Katherine b1774,
Penn. In 1860 he was in Bedford County, Tennessee. His grandaughter, Fannie
Lewis, reported that Henry died when she was
about 6 or 7 years old, which would have been in the early 1890s. Nobody
knows anything about Lila.

Children of HENRY STARNES and DELILA UNKNOWN are:
i. SARAH3 STARNES, b. 1831.
ii. CHARLES STARNES, b. 1835.
iii. JOHN STARNES, b. 1842.
iv. LADINA STARNES, b. 1846.
v. ANNA ELIZABETH STARNES, b. January 13, 1848; m. MONROE LEWIS.

Notes for ANNA ELIZABETH STARNES:
Anna and Monroe were both born on Long Branch, but left separately and were
married and settled in western Kentucky.

6. FREDERICK2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1812 in TN, and died Abt.
1893. He married (1) MARY POP EXUM Abt. 1835, daughter of WILLIAM EXUM.
She was born 1811 in TN, and died 1878. He married (2) ELMIRA GARNER May
18, 1879. He married (3) SUSAN UNKNOWN January 14, 1888.

Notes for FREDERICK STARNES:
1840 census of Smith County, TN:
Starn Frederick 1 male under 5
1 male 20-30
1 female under 5
2 female 20-30
5 Total
1 in agriculture

1850 census of Smith County, TN:
42 643 643 Starnes Federick 38 M Laborer 600
Tennessee X
1 643 643 Starnes Mary 39 F
Tennessee
2 643 643 Starnes Martha 14 F
Tennessee
3 643 643 Starnes John 11 M
Tennessee
4 643 643 Starnes William 8 M
Tennessee
5 643 643 Starnes Jacob 7 M
Tennessee
6 643 643 Starnes Joseph 6 M
Tennessee
7 643 643 Starnes William 2 M
Tennessee
REMARKS: Lists 4 Att School

Children of FREDERICK STARNES and MARY EXUM are:
i. MARTHA3 STARNES, b. 1836.
ii. JOHN K. STARNES, b. 1839.
iii. PETER JACOB STARNES, b. 1842, Dekalb, Tennessee; m. MAHALA ROBERTS,
June 25, 1859, Dekalb Co, TN.

Notes for PETER JACOB STARNES:
There wasPrivate Peter Starnes that served with GEN. W. B. STOKES FIFTH
TENNESSEE REGIMENT, FEDERAL CAVALRY in the DeKalb County Company A.

iv. WILLIAM STARNES, b. 1842.
v. JACOB STARNES, b. 1843.
vi. JOSEPH A. STARNES, b. 1844; m. MOURNING A. MAXWELL, November 29, 1864,
Smithville, Dekalb County, TN; b. 1850, Smithville, Dekalb Co., TN.
vii. L. B. STARNES, b. 1869.
viii. N. C. STARNES, b. 1872.

7. CHARLES2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born April 06, 1814 in Smith, now DeKalb
Co., TN, and died February 18, 1893 in Dekalb Co, TN. He married NANCY
RAFFERTY Abt. 1835, daughter of WILLIAM RAFFERTY and PEGGY STEARMAN. She
was born January 04, 1815 in TN, and died December 28, 1904 in Delakb
County, TN.

Notes for CHARLES STARNES:
Buried in Mount Holly Cemetery outside of Smithville, Dekalb County TN
Coming from Smithville pull into the first dirve of the Cemetery, park in
the curve, exit to the right and walk toward the fench row, turn right and
walk back toward the main highway, you will see Starnes tombstones, go past
Nepthali Brock's stone. The first stone you will see is Jeramiah Moreland
Starnes and his wife Mary Ann STOKES (they are on the same stone one on each
side), next will be Charles and Nancy Rafferty (they are also on the same
stone one on each side) Next will be Catherine Sherrill Starnes and Andrew.
Catherine's has a small stone that is level with the ground with no metal
plate anymore, Charles stone is gone.

1840 census of Smith County, TN:
227 23 Starn Chs 1 male under 5
1 male 20-30
1 female 15-20
1 female 20-30
4 total
1 in agriculture

1850 census of Smith County, TN:
37 650 650 Starnes Charles 36 M Laborer
500 Tennessee X X
38 650 650 Starnes Nancy 35 F
Tennessee
39 650 650 Starnes William 14 M
Tennessee
40 650 650 Starnes Jeramiah 10 M
Tennessee
41 650 650 Starnes Burket 5 M
Tennessee
42 650 650 Starnes Manda 4 F
Tennessee
REMARKS: Lists 2 Att School, 1 Read/Write

1860 DeKalb Co. TN Dist. 16 (Wolf Creek)
1610 1598 Charles Starnes 43 M Farmer 1500 1500 TN
Nancy 44 F TN
Jeremiah M. 16 M TN
Burket F. 13 M TN
Amanda H. 11 F TN
Miler J. 8 M TN
Thomas J. 5 M TN
Rachel Braswell 40 F Old Maid TN

Children of CHARLES STARNES and NANCY RAFFERTY are:
i. FERRELL3 STARNES.
ii. WILLIAM H. STARNES, b. 1836, lived inSmith & Dekalb Co. TN.

Notes for WILLIAM H. STARNES:
Pvt. C Co 23rd Inf. CSA ?
Capt. Robert Cantrell's company (C) recruited around Smithville, became a
part of the Twenty-Third Regiment of Tennessee Confederate Infantry. Its
commander was later elected lieutenant colonel. G. W. Hicks was elected
colonel and later Erastus D. Foster. Other promotions were of Lieuts. W. D.
Rhinehardt, Lawson W. Lee, and A. P. Cantrell. The company saw service in
Virginia and at Shiloh. After fighting at Perryville, Murfreesboro,
Chickamauga, and Missionary Ridge, and going through the Georgia campaign,
it was at Franklin and Nashville and surrendered in North Carolina. Capt.
John C. New, of Cannon County, writes: "After the Twenty-Third had served
about twelve months, it was reorganized. At this time Captain Cantrell was
elected lieutenant colonel, but soon resigned. Ras Foster was elected
captain of the company, and after serving some time he left and carried many
of his men with him. The company was consolidated with mine. Zeb Lee was a
member of the company and lost a leg at Chickamauga. His brother, Lieut.
Lawson Lee, was killed." Colonel Cantrell was for several years a
distinguished circuit judge of Tennessee, residing at Lebanon. He was born
November 9, 1823, and died February 9, 1903.

There was also a J. S. Starnes that severed as a private in this same
company. Also Bradford Sherrell.

iii. JEREMIAH MORELAND STARNES, b. June 12, 1844, Of, De Kalb & Smith',
'Tennessee , Tennessee; m. MARY ANN STOKES, January 25, 1866, De Kalb,
Tennessee.

Notes for JEREMIAH MORELAND STARNES:
Graves #21 (Jerry/Jeremiah), 22 (Mary Ann STOKES), 75 (Andrew), 76
(Catherine SHERRILL), 111 (Chas./Charles) & 112 (Nancy RAFFERTY) in the Mt
Holy Reinterment Cemetery near Smithville (Dekalb) Tennessee. The
information came from the Nashville District of the US Army Corps of
Engineers.

Co. C, 23rd Infantry was the unit the Jeremiah Moreland STARNES was in as a
Private when he was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee. Those
wounds resulted in a very short time in the Rebel Army. I have documents
that show his time in the CSA Army as well as his wounds. Source page 381,
Section 1 - Confederate Rosters. "Tennesseans in the Civil War, Part 2, A
Military History of Confederate and Union Units with available Rosters of
Persons in Two Parts." It was published by the Civil War Commission
Centennial Commission, Nashville, Tennessee, 1965.

iv. BURKET FERREL STARNES, b. January 21, 1847, Smith, Tennessee; m. MARINA
H. COGGINS, September 26, 1869, De Kalb Co., Tn; b. September 15, 1844, De
Kalb Co., Tn (Nc)>; d. December 28, 1892.
10. v. AMANDA HELEN STARNES, b. January 29, 1849, Dekalb Co., TN; d. August
30, 1913, Putnam Co. TN.
11. vi. MILAS J. STARNES, b. May 11, 1853, DeKalb Co., Tn; d. April 03,
1920, Grayson Co., Tx.
vii. THOMAS J. STARNES, b. Abt. 1855.

8. JOHN2 STARNES (ANDREW1) was born 1826 in Tennessee. He married LEATHA
UNKNOWN. She was born 1824 in NC.

Notes for JOHN STARNES:
1850 Smith Co Census
642 Starnes John 24 M Laborer 200 Tennessee X
X Lists 1 AttSchool2Read/Write
642 Starnes Leatha 28 F . . . N
Carolina . . . . .
642 Starnes Elizabeth 6 F . . .
Tennessee . . . . .
642 Starnes Neter 4 F . . .
Tennessee . . . . .
642 Starnes David 2 M . . .
Tennessee . . . . .

Children of JOHN STARNES and LEATHA UNKNOWN are:
i. ELIZABETH3 STARNES, b. 1844.
ii. NETER STARNES, b. 1846.
iii. DAVID STARNES, b. 1848.

Notes for DAVID STARNES:
There is an A.D. Starnes that married Linda J. Petty Aug 8, 1868 in Dekalb
County, TN. Don't know if this is the same or not.

Thanks,

Trisha Swallows Carden
Nashville, Tennessee

http://www.tcarden.com/tree/ensor/