STEAD-L Archives

Archiver > STEAD > 2003-04 > 1051679280

From: Shelagh Mason <>
Subject: Latest news
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:08:00 +0100

Hello,

Just to touch base with members and let you know what has been happening
lately.

I am delighted to report we now have member No. 200 - a milestone I was not
expecting to reach so quickly.

Mum and I visited Maidstone Archives (Centre for Kentish Studies) twice in
the Easter vacation and got cracking on the 17th Century Stede Hill
Indentures as promised. I borrowed a works laptop which saved me so much
time and trouble and we now have 5 Indentures transcribed and available as
word documents/printouts. As members are aware, this is but a drop in the
ocean compared to the total number we have to transcribe, but we are
already having problems reading them where they have been creased for
centuries and have had to give our "best educated guess" on occasions.

The June Newsletters are already printed and will be going out to our bulk
overseas distributors Alan Farmer and Jean Keen shortly. Might I remind
members that if you haven't renewed your subs. as yet to do so, or please
would you let us know if you do not intend to renew so we can get our
records straight.

Jean Keen is stepping down from her role in Australia after the June
Newsletter. May I take this opportunity of thanking Jean for her support
which has helped our both our Australian members and myself greatly - I am
indebted to her. Garth Elvery, another long-serving member, has stepped
into the breach and will take over the Australian admin. directly after the
June Newsletter is despatched.

Regards,

Shelagh

All E-mail checked and protected by Norton AntiVirus Professional 2003

Mrs. Shelagh Mason
Stead/Steed One-Name Study (Worldwide)
46 Field Avenue
CANTERBURY, Kent, ENGLAND. CT1 1TR