STEELE-L Archives

Archiver > STEELE > 2000-08 > 0967089013

From: "J. Christian" <>
Subject: Re: [STEELE-L] Elizabeth Steele of Salisbury, NC
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:50:13 -0400

JARFL

I received this off-list reply:
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -
Your info to rootsweb on 8/22 gives me food for thought. My grandfather,
Alonzo Steele, talked of a female ancestor who ran a tavern and gave/loaned
money to keep Washington's army in the field. As familiy lore has it my
branch of Steele's came from VA, and as there is a crossroads in VA called
Steele's Tavern I assumed that was the location. The story you related
bears enough similarity to our family lore to cause me not to discount NC
for family information. First I have to find my ggrandfather Thomas William
Steele's parents, he (Thomas) was born around 1840 possibly in Irongate, VA.

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe the interesting story of Elizabeth.

Larry Roush
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -

A google.com search for 'Elizabeth Steele Salisbury Greene' returned -
among others - these sites:

- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -
http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/h/Henderson,John_S.html
Manuscripts Department
Library of the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill
SOUTHERN HISTORICAL COLLECTION
JOHN STEELE HENDERSON PAPERS
Inventory
[ELIZABETH STEELE NOT MENTIONED IN THIS INVENTORY WHICH IS IN BRIEF. . .
. . ]
Abstract: John Steele Henderson, member of the N.C. General
Assembly, U.S. congressman, lawyer, and a founder of rural free delivery of
the mail, was born 6 January 1846 in Salisbury, N.C., the son of Archibald
II and Mary Ferrand Henderson, a descendant of General John Steele,
comptroller of the U.S. Treasury. In October 1874, Henderson married
Elizabeth Brownrigg Cain (1850-1929). They were the parents of Elizabeth
Brownrigg Henderson, who married U.S. Navy Captain Lyman A. Cotten;
Archibald Henderson, professor of mathematics at the University of North
Carolina, who married Barbara Curtis Bynum; John Steele Henderson, Jr.,
electrical engineer for Westinghouse, who married Ruth King; and Mary
Ferrand Henderson, who was active in the Democratic Party and in the
Episcopal Church in North Carolina.
Earliest items are deeds, indentures, wills, and other
legal documents. These papers deal with ancestors of John Steele Henderson,
including his father, Archibald. Especially notable documents from the
eighteenth century include a typescript of Colonel Richard Henderson's 1775
journal relating to the Transylvania Colony in Kentucky (the original
apparently in private hands) and a contemporary copy of General Nathanael
Greene's 1781 address to the citizens of Salisbury, N.C., about the
importance of their support for the Continental Army. Another notable early
letter, dated 8 December 1813, recounts a campaign against the Creeks in
Alabama during the War of 1812.

[I assume he is related to Elizabeth.]
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -

http://www.hpo.dcr.state.nc.us/nrlist.htm

NORTH CAROLINA LISTINGS IN THE
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
BY COUNTY AS OF JANUARY 1, 2000
[List includes:]
John Steele House (Salisbury) 09/12/94

Just a listing without historical context.
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -

http://www.parsonstech.com/genealogy/trees/mwilson/d13.htm
Descendants and Allied Families of Hans Christian Garver/Gerber

General Nathanael Greene
In the winter of 1781, General Greene rode into Salisbury and stopped at a
tavern owned by Elizabeth Maxwell Steele. On hearing of the sorry condition
of his troops and the lack of funds to supply them, Mrs. Steele gave him two
bags of money. Accepting the gift, General Greene noticed the pictures of
King George and Queen Charlotte on the tavern wall. Turning the picture of
the king to the wall, he wrote on the back with a piece of chalk, "O,
George! Hide thy face and mourne." Today, those very pictures hang at
Thyatira Church where, in the cemetery, a monument marks the grave of
Elizabeth Maxwell Steele.

[AH-HA! Elizabeth Maxwell m. William Steele Abt. 1763, Rowan, South
Carolina - as per LDS]
WorldConnect yields only one match:
IN Houck's of Ashe Co.NC and related famlies
Name: Elizabeth MAXWELL
Sex: F
Birth: 1733
Death: 1790
Marriage 1 Robert GILLESPIE b: ABT. 1724
Children
Margaret Elizabeth GILLESPIE b: 1756 in Rowan Co.NC
Robert GILLESPIE
Marriage 2 William STEELE >>NFI
Children
John STEELE b: 1765

[I ASSUME THIS IS THE ABOVE MENTIONED
JOHN OF THE JOHN STEELE HOUSE[
______
Name: John STEELE
Sex: M
Birth: 1765
Reference Number: 16997
Father: William STEELE
Mother: Elizabeth MAXWELL b: 1733
Marriage 1 Mary NESFIELD >>I HAVE SEEN AS NESSFIELD.
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -
http://moon.ouhsc.edu/rbonner/johnson/jhn0896.htm
ROWAN COUNTY HERITAGE Art L 82. THYATIRA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH probably
founded 1747, ten miles west of Salisbury (getting very close to Iredell and
the Harrisons, Stewarts and Stevensons). In their cemetery are many early
settlers of prominence such as the Polks and Knoxes. THOMAS AND NAOMI
GILLESPIE who were also ancestors of President James Knox Polk were also
buried here. In 1958 a legacy left in the will of Mr. E.H. Harrison of
$10,000 established the Thyatira Memorial Association. Other large gifts
have been addled to this and a museum has been created named the Thyatira
Heritage Museum in a separate building. One of the more interesting displays
are pictures of King George and Queen Charlotte that were hanging in Mrs.
Elizabeth Maxwell Steele's tavern in Salisbury before the Revolution. During
the War, General Greene came through Salisbury and stopped at her tavern.
She gave him all the money she had. He took King George's picture and wrote
on the back, "O George hide thy face and mourn". men he hung it back, face
to the wall. (I understand that these pictures were long hanging in the
Salisbury Post Office, faces to the wall.)
- - - - - - - - - - -(SNIP)- - - - - - - - -

http://www.justcallbob.com/images/rockbridge.html

A long text which includes:
Col. George Moffett, of Augusta, with Capt. Thomas Tate's company, Capt. Gwi
n's men, and those of Capt. Thomas Smith, took charge of his regiment at
Steele's Tavern late in February. The Rev. James Waddell, pastor of the
Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church, of which many of the men were members,
gave them a sermon and a prayer. Meanwhile, in the frontier community of
Lexington, the Rockbridge men were assembling. Col. Samuel McDowell
commanded the two or more companies. Major Alexander Stuart was the second
in command. The captain of one company was Alexander Tedford, whose only
daughter mar-
ried Elisha Barclay and became the mother of Alexander T. and Hugh Barclay.
Captain Tedford fell in the severe fighting in the underbrush at Guilford
Courthouse. Mrs. Tedford went in search of her husband's body to bring it
back to Rockbridge for burial. The hardships she had to undergo was too much
for her frail body and
she became demented; she died shortly afterward.
[I do not know if this mentioned Steele's Tavern is the same - the text goes
on to include information on a Joseph and a David Steele and their
descendants.

Life goes on -
Jim Christian
Chattanooga, TN

"The worst misfortune that can happen to an ordinary man is to have an
extraordinary father." -O'Malley Austin