STEPHENS-L Archives

Archiver > STEPHENS > 2008-04 > 1207536665

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [STEPHENS] migrations from NC to IN
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 02:51:05 GMT

My only other hope for you would be to contact ; ;
or .

-- Charlie Cox <> wrote:
That is interesting because one of the children, Flora Stephens, lived
in Knox County in 1880, but married in Wayne county(the county north of
Fayette county) in 1887 and I am not sure how she got there or why she
went there as she was only 20 when she was married. Her uncle/aunt whom
they were living with both died by then, and her real father was in
Cincinnati as were her grandmother and her father's siblings. Best I can
tell her brother Lawrence went to Terra Haute and never married.

I have see the Stephens of Fayette and Union counties, and I know that
many of them moved to NC in the late 1700's and several of them then
came back to Indiana in the early 1800's - the other Stephens families
of Owen and Greene counties are part of this as I recall. Others came
back to Fayette and Union counties. So with our Flora showing up near
them, I wandered if there was another branch of the family around there.

I made a mistake - the two children, Lawrence and Flora, went to Knox
county with Martin and his wife, but both Martin and his wife died
before 1880 and they were living with Martin's brother-in-law, George
Schooley. George and family remained in Knox county, but Flora and
Lawrence went their separate ways. I don't think there are any other
Shooley relatives in eastern Indiana at that time, So I am still not
sure why Flora came so far east without going to her immediate family.

Charlie