STOVEL-L Archives

Archiver > STOVEL > 2002-09 > 1033407905

From: Richard Stovel <>
Subject: [STOVEL] Nancy McKee's obituary
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:45:05 -0700

I was very saddened to hear (via Stuart Stovel) of the passing of
our list member,
Nancy McKee, evidently due to cancer. Below is a transcription of
the obituary that
appeared in the Toronto Globe and Mail. Of particular interest to us
is the following
sentence:

"In the last few years, [Nancy] outpaced everyone in computer
literacy and focussed her
characteristic meticulous and tireless enthusiasm on extensive
genealogic research as a
very active member of the Ontario Genealogical Society."

My acquaintance with Nancy was limited to a few short weeks and a
small number of
emails, but she was a major reason that I decided to start a Stovel
list. Her last email
to me, shortly before she went into the hospital was full of
enthusiasm and eagerness
to participate in our list. With her experience in the Ontario
Genealogical Society
and her knowledge of the Stovel origins, she would certainly have been a key
contributor. Her death is a big loss to us.

With sorrow,

Dick

Globe and Mail
(Toronto, date uncertain, probably Sept. 16 or 17)

McKee, Nancy Jane Dolphin - With great sorrow, our family announces
the passing of Nancy Jane Dolphin McKee. Nancy passed away at home
in Mississauga, surrounded by family, on Sunday, September 15, 2002.
Beloved wife for 41 years of Dr. David McKee, M.D. Loving mother of
Dr. Michael, M.D., and his wife Debra; Kevin, B.Sc. and his wife Kathryn;
Kimberley, BFA, M.Arch. and her husband Thomas Ratz; Steven, BFA
and his wife Susan; and Dr. Melissa, DVM and her partner Dr. Michael
Pownall, DVM. Nancy is survived by 12 grandchildren, Sach, Tyler,
Robbin and Everett; Cameron, Graydon and Kayla; Brammall and Willa;
Keira, Hayley and Finley. She will also be mourned by her brother
Robert Dolphin and wife Ruth, sister Shirley Brangers and husband
Ernie, sister-in-law Arlene McKee Jackson and husband Jim, and 10
nieces and nephews. Nancy was predeceased by her father, Toronto
architect Charles Brammall Dolphin, mother Doris Alexandrine LeGendre
Stovel, infant brother William, and brother Flight Lieutenant Douglas
Dolphin, RCAF, in Europe, 1944. Born August 18, 1937, Nancy grew up
on Blythwood Avenue, Toronto and attended St. Clements School and
the University of Toronto where she graduated as the gold medallist in
Physical and Occupational Therapy in 1960. She interrupted her career
to devote herself to her family, garden and many varied artistic and
creative pursuits. She had many happy memories of childhood
summers, both her own, her children's and her grandchildren's, spent in
Bala, Muskoka. In the last few years, mom outpaced everyone in
computer literacy and focussed her characteristic meticulous and
tireless enthusiasm on extensive genealogic research as a very active
member of the Ontario Genealogical Society. Our soulmate, mummy,
and nana will be greatly missed. The family would like to thank Dr. Tony
Baker and Dr. Nazim Damji for their humane and professional care, the
nurses of 4C Oncology at the Mississauga Hospital Trillium Health
Centre, the Community Care Access Centre of Peel, and the St.
Elizabeth Health Care Nurses. Special thanks to Jean Harcus for her
care and compassion and to Lonya for her thoughtfulness. Friends and
family will be received at W.J. Cavill Funeral Home, 215-1 Bay St.
Gravenhurst, on Wednesday September 18, 2002, from 2-4 and 7-9
p.m. A Funeral Service will be held at 11 a.m. at Trinity-St. Albans
Anglican Church in Bala, September 19, 2002, followed by interment in
the family plot. Reception at Bala Manor at 1 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a
donation to the Canadian Cancer Society, or charity of your choice
would be much appreciated.

--
Richard-6 Stovel (Russell-5, Russell-4, Samuel-3, Henry-2, William-1)
STOVEL list administrator

This thread: