STRICKLAND-L Archives

Archiver > STRICKLAND > 2000-05 > 0958981909

From: "John F. Wise" <>
Subject: Re: [STRICKLAND] Isle of Wight Deed/1723/ Thomas & Elizabeth Boone
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 02:51:49 -0500

Jenny,

Good find. Will insert in my database records. Thanks.

Reference your request for info. on JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND. Below is
what I've accumulated/compiled in my database. Hope it helps.

I'm sending this directly to you, since the newly established, impractical,
purist, academic, kindergarten, and condescending rules of the Strickland
Mailing List do not allow anyone to keep a received Email text and its
response text in the same message (I do this routinely for Email/Response
filing efficiency).

Regards to you and yours,

JOHN F. WISE
Montgomery, AL
NOTES ON JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND

Born c1771-1776, probably in New Hanover Co., English Province of NC, or
Darlington or Barnwell District, English Province of SC. Unproven yet
circumstantial evidence indicates this person is a son of JOHN STRICKLAND
Jr. RS-NC (c1749-1838) and his wife APPA ??? of old/original New Hanover,
Bladen, New Hanover Co. areas of NC; and the Cheraws District, Darlington,
Orangeburgh, and Barnwell Districts of SC; and Burke, Screven, and Tattnall
Cos., GA.

Married (1st) c1794-95, to HARRIET WILSON (c1782-c1824), in NC. Parents of
wife are unknown.

Married (2nd) 11 Dec 1828, to CLARA (CLOEY) FAIN (1795-1872), in Tattnall
Co. GA. Wife was the daughter of Judge THOMAS FAIN RS-NC (1760-1832) and
his wife ??? (name unknown), of Orange Co., NC, and of Burke, Screven,
Tattnall, Telfair, and Decatur Cos., GA.

Died 9 May 1859, in Bainbridge, Decatur Co., GA. Burial place unknown.

Known to family and friends by his middle name "REUBEN."

This compiler [JOHN F. WISE] cautions all readers/researchers that there are
STRICKLAND family members and other researchers who erroneously mixed
up (and continue to do so) information on this JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND
(c1771-1859) with another person named REUBEN STRICKLAND (c1794-1877) of NC,
and who married NANCY CHAMBLEE, of Raleigh, Wake Co., NC; and Stanhope, Nash
Co., NC. - - AND WHO NEVER LEFT THE STATE OF NC. Recent findings also
indicate that others are now switching his first and middle name.

This [JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND] lived in Orangeburgh and Barnwell
Districts, SC; and in Tattnall, Bulloch, Liberty, and Decatur Cos., GA.

This [Jefferson] "Reuben Strickland" was among the earliest members of his
family to enter Georgia, and was recorded surveying land (1802-1803) in the
Indian Lands of what is now Laurens Co., GA,., and Watermelon, Mushmelon,
and Beard's Creek areas of Tattnall Co., GA. Was living on Mushmelon Creek
in Tattnall Co., GA. 1812-1815.

Served in the Tattnall Co. Militia during the War of 1812. Commanding
Officer and unit unknown at this time.

After 1st wife HARRIETT WILSON died circa 1825-1826 in Tattnall Co., GA.,
this "REUBEN" and his oldest son JOHN went to Southern Georgia Indian Lands
to obtain acreage and home sites in the newly opened lands that straddled
the Georgia and Florida State line. They first obtained land in the then
newly established Lowndes Co., GA., at a location just west of what is now
Quitman in present day Brooks Co., GA.

In 1828, REUBEN returned to Tattnall County to marry his 2nd wife, and soon
after moved with his new wife to his new lower Lowndes Co., GA. homesite.
Afterward his older sons joined them in lower Lowndes Co., GA. Soon after
"REUBEN" obtained more acreage in southwestern Georgia, plus a large
homesite, with his father-in-law Judge THOMAS FAIN (1760-1832). [i.e., on
the Flint River, near Bainbridge in Decatur Co., GA.] REUBEN is listed as
head-of-household in the U.S. Census of 1830 of
Decatur Co., GA.

One FAIN descendant said that at one time old Judge Fain lived at the
[JEFFERSON] REUBEN STRICKLAND homesite . . . but this has not been proven
or confirmed by any other family member or by U.S. Census records. It is
also said that old Judge Fain and Reuben jointly owned a number of home
sites, large tracts of cotton acreage, and water landings along the Flint
River, where they were able to easily marshal and ship cotton to market in
Pensacola, Florida.

There exists definite STRICKLAND-MARTIN-FAIN family connections as follows:
CLOEY FAIN (1795-1872), wife of this JEFFERSON RUEBEN STRICKLAND, is a
sister of MARY FAIN who married JOHN MARTIN of Bryan Co., GA. JOHN MARTIN
(son of JAMES MARTIN, of Bulloch Co., GA.) is a brother of TREACY MARTIN
(1789-1856) - - and TREACY married DAVID JONATHAN STRICKLAND (1780-1873), in
Barnwell District, SC. This means there is at least an "in-law" connection
(through their wives) between the DAVID JONATHAN STRICKLAND and JEFFERSON
REUBEN STRICKLAND families.

In the 1941 Texas Court Cases # 18,253-A and # 10562, the Court found and
ruled that his son NOAH WILSON STRICKLAND (b.1795, in NC or SC):

(1) DID EXIST. . BUT

(2) WAS NOT THE WILSON STRICKLAND THAT CAME FROM GEORGIA TO
TEXAS IN 1829.

(3) DID NOT RECEIVE TEXAS LAND PATENT #463. [i.e., the Conroe Texas
land], AND

(4) NEVER LEFT THE STATE OF GEORGIA

ALSO note that [JEFFERSON] REUBEN's son THOMAS JEFFERSON STRICKLAND
(b.1835) WENT TO TEXAS TO CLAIM WILSON STRICKLAND's LAND IN CONROE, TEXAS .
. . FAILED TO DO SO, AND THEN WENT ON TO MANGUM, GREER
CO., OKLAHOMA . . . WHERE THOMAS JEFFERSON STRICKLAND SETTLED, RAISED HIS
FAMILY, AND DIED.

SPECIAL NOTE: Jefferson Reuben Strickland's son NOAH WILSON STRICKLAND
was married, had children, and the 1941 Texas Court case plaintiffs never
proved that NOAH ever left the State of Georgia. However, with all the
family ties the STRICKLANDs have in NC, SC, and GA, WILSON STRICKLAND
(b.1795), son of this [JEFFERSON] REUBEN STRICKLAND is most likely the 1st
cousin of the Bulloch and Bryan Co., GA. WILSON STRICKLAND (b.1810), son of
DAVID JONATHAN STRICKLAND (1780-1856) and his wife TREACY MARTIN 1789-1856).
SPECIAL NOTE: There is supposed to be a book recently published on the FAIN
Family, but this compiler has been unable to locate and/or obtain a copy.
Recent indications are that this book also contains erroneous information,
i.e., that mixes this JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND up with the other NC
REUBEN STRICKLAND.

REFERENCE: Decatur Co., GA., Marriage Book AA, pp.6 and 33, i.e., as
recorded by Mrs. MARGARET I. LEMMONS, 4790 Callahan, Beaumont, TEXAS.

REFERENCE: Decatur Co., GA. Will Book A, page 172, LWT of JEFFERSON REUBEN
STRICKLAND, signed 17 Feb 1859, Probated 1 Aug 1859. See Strickland Scene,
Vol 1, No. 4, Fall 1980, page 74 for a summary of this Will.

REFERENCE: Bible Records possessed by Mr. WILLIAM COLLINS, of Batavia, IL.

REFERENCE: War of 1812 Military Pension Index.

REFERENCE: U.S. Census of 1850, Decatur Co., GA.

REFERENCE: LDS Family Group Record, LDS Sealing Date 8 Feb 66-LG, on
[JEFFERSON] REUBEN STRICKLAND (c1771-1859) and (1st wife) HARRIET WILSON
(b.c1782) family, submitted in 1965 by Mrs. LOVELL K. LOVETT, 3819 Cambridge
Ave., El Paso, TEXAS. This LDS record was submitted for family member CARL
ATHEL LOVETT, who is identified as a GG-stepgrandson of this [JEFFERSON]
REUBEN STRICKLAND. A copy of this record was also furnished to the author
by Mrs. NANETTE M. LONG, 807 State St., Yorkville, IL 60580. It should be
noted THAT THERE IS NO MENTION OF A WILSON STRICKLAND (b.1795, in Wake Co.,
NC) in this Family Group Record.

REFERENCE: LDS Family Group Record, LDS Sealing Date 14 Oct 1954-AZ, on the
REUBEN STRICKLAND (c1771-1859) and (2nd wife) CLARA (CLOEY) FAIN (1795-1872)
family .. as submitted in 1936 by CARL A. LOVETT, 705 No. Estrelle, El Paso,
TEXAS. This LDS record was submitted for heir JOSHUA PERRY LOVETT, who is
identified as a grandson descendent of this family. A copy of this record
was furnished to the author by Mrs. NANETTE M. LONG, 807 State St.,
Yorkville, IL. 60580.

REFERENCE: [JEFFERSON] REUBEN STRICKLAND FAMILY BIBLE EXTRACTS furnished by
Mrs. Long with the above mentioned Family Group Records. First bible
contains c1812 entries (i.e., from 2 pages) that list REUBEN STRICKLAND's
children:

a. NEILL, FLORAH, SUSANNA, SAVAGE, DAVID, LEUCREASY, and MARY. Also
in this c1828 bible was a loose page that records the birth of a BULINDA
STRICKLAND (b. Nov 18, 1820) [parents not identified], the birth of a
grandson JOHN CONNER (b. April 7, 1828), son of WILLIS CONNER and his
DAUGHTER SUSANNA; and a second SUSANNA STRICKLAND (b. July 2, 1822)[parents
not identified]. There is no NOAH WILSON or WILSON STRICKLAND entered in
this first family bible.

b. Next to the last page of this first family bible were hard to
decipher names that were determined to be slaves, i.e., SALOMONY, DAVID, and
HOWARD. Another item found in about the middle of the bible was an old
envelope addressed to MR. J. B. STRICKLAND, RT.#1, BOX 142, QUINCY, FLA. The
return address on the envelope was: 167 Adams, N.Y., Postmarked Adams, N.Y.,
August 24,1912, and received in Quincy, Fla., August 27, 1912.

c. Entries from a second family Bible [i.e., son JOHN's (b.c1790)
bible and newer, i.e., later date, than the first bible] lists the JOHN
STRICKLAND (b.c1790) and ELIZABETH JETER (b.c1790) family [married 1 Jan
1814, in Tattnall Co., GA], and the birth of two other children (could be
their niece and nephew), i.e., a JANE WORSHAM (b. Dec 1841) and a JOSIAH
HOUCK (b.18 Oct 1843).

(1) Pages 3 and 4 of the second family bible are almost identical
to the first two pages of the first bible outlined above, i.e., lists
JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND's descendants: NEILL, FLORIA, SUSANNAH, SAVAGE,
DAVID, LUCSERY, MARY, REUBIN, LUCRETIA, MATTHEW, THOMAS J., and GREENBERRY
(grandson). NOTE: There is NO NOAH WILSON or WILSON STRICKLAND entered in
this second family bible either.

(2) Also listed on page 4 of the second bible is a MARY A.
STRICKLAND (born 24 Sep 1866), daughter of grandson GREENBERRY (b.1837) and
EMILY J. (WORSHAM), and an AMANDA J. STRICKLAND (b.15 Oct 1862) [i.e.,
probably another daughter of GREENBERRY and EMILY].

d. Mrs. LONG obtained copies of these bible extracts from Genealogist
Mrs. GLORIA ROYLANCE ZERR, of Salt Lake City, Utah.

REFERENCE: LDS Family Group Record, LDS Sealing Date of 5 Jan 1962-AZ, on
the THOMAS JEFFERSON STRICKLAND (b.1835) and AMERICA GANDY family ... as
submitted by Great-grand Nephew MR. CARL ATHEL LOVETT, 3819 Cambridge, El
Paso, Texas. A copy of this family group record was furnished to the author
by Mrs. NANETTE M. LONG, 807 State St., Yorkville, IL., 60580.

REFERENCE: Family info. and connections published in "Pioneers of Wiregrass
GA.," by Judge Folks Huxford and the Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc., of
Homerville, Clinch Co., GA: [Judge Huxford's info is considered incomplete
by this compiler]

Vol 1, pp. 100-101, 178, 265-266, 308;
Vol 2, pp. 20-21, 81, 305, 322;
Vol 3, pp. 115-116, 160-161, 180-181, 369, 385, 391, 421;
Vol 4, pp. 284, 287, 341, 354, 383-384;
Vol 5, pp. 132, 423-424, 426, 530, 541, 560, 562, 564-565, 581;
Vol 6, pp. 78, 85, 297, 312, 328-329, 345;
Vol 7, pp. 484, 548;
Vol 8, pp.189-190, 279-280, 331-332, 383; and
Vol 9, pp. 5, 536-537.

The information on the "FAIN" family was provided to Judge Folks Huxford by
Mrs. AURORA C. SHAW, a descendent and Genealogist from Jacksonville, FL.

ALSO NOTE THAT REUBEN's GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER STELLA STRICKLAND EDWARDS (of
Decatur, Macon Co., Illinois) DOCUMENTED THE [JEFFERSON] REUBEN STRICKLAND
FAMILY AND DESCENDENTS IN JANUARY, 1939, AND DISTRIBUTED COPIES OF THIS
DOCUMENT TO THE LDS IN SALT LAKE CITY, AND TO MANY GENEALOGICAL LIBRARIES
AND STATE ARCHIVES THROUGHOUT THE U.S. NOT ALL FAMILY MEMBERS ARE LISTED,
BUT THE THOMAS JEFFERSON STRICKLAND AND THOMAS BERRYHILL STRICKLAND CHILDREN
BORN IN CONROE, MONTGOMERY CO., TEXAS AND MANGUM, GREER CO.,OKLAHOMA
FAMILIES ARE SHOWN. [Compiler found this document 27 Dec 1991, in the
Alabama State Archives "STRICKLAND" microfiche file.]
REFERENCE: Internet Email from W. Harrison <>, Sunday,
5 Sep 1999, Subject: [STRICKLAND] Reuben Strickland's Will:

"Will of Reuben Strickland, Recorded Aug 1, 1859 in Decatur Co., GA. Will
Book "A," page 172. [This will book has since disappeared from Decatur
County, GA., but copies are on file in the GA. State Archives]:
WILL STATE OF GEORGIA
COUNTY OF DECATUR

In the name of God, Amen. I, REUBEN STRICKLAND, of the said State and
County, being of advanced age and knowing that I must shortly depart from
this
world, deem it right and proper, both as respects myself and family, that
I shall make disposition of the property which a kind providence has
blessed me. I, therefore, make this my LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, hereby
revoking and annulling all others heretofore
made by me.

Item, First, I desire and will that my body be buried in a decent and
Christianlike
manner, suitable to my circumstances and condition. My soul, I trust
shall return to rest with God who gave it as I hope for eternal salvation
through the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Item, Second, I desire and direct that all my just debts be paid without
delay by my
executors hereinafter named.

Item, Third, I give and devise to my beloved wife, Clara Strickland, all
the effects of my
Estate, both real and personal, during her widowhood, or natural life,
and at the
termination of her widowhood, or natural life, the property, whatever it
may be, both real and personal, I desire and bequeath that it may be
equally divided between my four children, viz: Matthew M. Strickland,
Thomas J. Strickland, Greenberry Strickland and Lucretia Strickland (Mrs.
Josiah Lewis Perritt).

Item, Fourth, I constitute my two sons, viz: Thomas J. Strickland and
Greenberry
Strickland my executors to this, my LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT this February
17,
1859.

His
Reuben (X) Strickland (Signed)
Mark
Signed, sealed and published by Reuben Strickland as his Last Will and
Testament in
the presence of us the subscribers who subscribed our names hereto in the
presence of said Testator and of each other, February 17, 1859.

John E. Luten (Signed)
H. K. Barineau (Signed)
Thos. P. Fain (Signed)

AFFADAVIT
STATE OF GEORGIA
COUNTY OF DECATUR

Before me, Joseph Law, Ordinary of said County, came in person, Thomas J.
Strickland, one of the Executors of the Last Will and Testament of REUBEN
STRICKLAND, late of said County, deceased, and brings with him John E.
Luten and Thomas P. Fain, two of the witnesses to said Will, being duly
sworn,
deposes and says that they saw said Reuben Strickland sign, seal, and
publish and declare the said instrument upon this sheet written as his Last
Will and Testament
voluntarily and freely without compulsion and that they signed said Will as
witnesses in the presence of said Reuben Strickland and each other and in
the presence of H. K. Barineau, the other witness to said Will who did the
same.

Sworn to and subscribed before me in open court this August 4, 1859.
Thomas P. Fain (Signed)
John E. Luten (Signed)
REFERENCE: I*nternet Email 11 Jun 1996, from Mrs. CAROLYN JARRARD (nee:
BARBER), of Bloomingdale, Chatham Co., GA.

RELATIONSHIP: If this person is a son of JOHN STRICKLAND Jr. RS-NC
(1749-1838), then JEFFERSON REUBEN STRICKLAND (c1771-1859) is a
GGGG-granduncle of the compiler JOHN FRANCIS WISE (b.1936-NY). Bloodline
would be through his brother DAVID JONATHAN STRICKLAND (1780-1873). Common
ancestors would be his parents.