STRONG-L Archives

Archiver > STRONG > 2001-11 > 1004806853

From: "Paul Snook" <>
Subject: Sir T. Vezey Strong - Lord Mayor 1911
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:00:53 -0000

Hi List

I am doing this research on behalf of an aged aunt in South Africa, and am therefore not related to any STRONG's, but she is. I have this info and would appreciate any comments or links that the list might have.

Her grandfather went out to SA on some form of colonial service. His birth certificate gave this info:

Born 20 April 1850 at 21 Great New Street, St. Brides / Name - Benjamin Arther / Boy / Father - John Strong / Mother - Keturah Sophia Strong, formerly Tricket / Profession - Sterotype Founder / Signed by John Strong, Father, 21 Great New Street, London on the 11 September 1850. as well as the Registrat Wm. Chambers, Deputy Superintendent Registrar.

Her grandfather had been married PRIOR to coming to SA, so there would be a branch in the UK of his. My aunt knows no other detail of his first family.

Her grandfathers BROTHER (i.e her great uncle) was Sir THOMAS VEZEY STRONG, Lord Mayor of London in 1911/12. They have an invitation to an official invitation to the Coronation Celebration ROYAL LUNCHEON AT GUILDHALL on Thursday 20th June 1911 to their Majesties KING GEORGE V and QUEEN MARY by the then Lord Mayor of London The Right Honorable Sir T. (for Thomas) Vezey Strong. I have been unable to find out any additional info on this branch.

The 1881 census locates them as follows:

Dwelling: 17 Red Lion Square

Census Place: St George Martyr, London, Middlesex, England

Source: FHL Film 1341074 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0338 Folio 48 Page 17

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Keturah S. STRONG W 62 F Bradford, Wiltshire, England

Rel: Head

John Edwd. STRONG M 26 M London City Of St Brides, London, Middlesex, England

Rel: Son Occ: Stationer Salesman

Thomas Vezey STRONG U 23 M London City Of St Andrews, London, Middlesex, England

Rel: Son Occ: Paper Makers Traveller

ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.

Regards
Deirdre Snook