STROUP-L Archives

Archiver > STROUP > 2004-09 > 1096064105

Subject: Re: Philip STROUP, Juniata and Snyder Co.s Pennsylvania
Date: 24 Sep 2004 16:15:05 -0600

Surnames: Straub, Stroub, Stroup, Rouch, Roush
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/0IQBAEB/373.1

Message Board Post:

I don't have anything on Philip -- in fact, I didn't know Philip existed, but I wonder if you meant that Philip STROUP was born in 1852 and died in 1853, not 1953? I have Israel & Eve STROUP in the 1860 census of Susquehanna Twp., Juniata Co., PA (p. 796):

Israel STROUP 26 M Farmer 700 460 Pa
Eve STROUP 21 F Pa
Mary L STROUP 1 F Pa
Jacob COPE 12 M Pa

They show no son, Philip, and Eve is very young to have birthed a son in 1852. I wonder if Israel may have had an earlier wife, though even he is a bit young to have had a son in 1852. May I ask what is your source connecting Philip to Israel & Eve? Or that Eve's maiden name is ROUCH? Could she have been a ROUSH?

In the 1860 census, Israel & Eve are listed just two households from Israel's parents, Michael & Eve (__?__) STRAUB/STROUB/STROUP. In the 1850 census, Israel STROUP was living with his parents in Greenwood [now Susquehanna] Twp., Juniata Co., PA (p. 312). In the 1870 census, Israel is back living with his parents again (in Susquehanna Twp., Juniata Co., PA, p. 465B), which I have taken to mean his wife died and that, possibly, a "Kate" STROUP (age 28) in the household may be his new wife, but this 1870 record is difficult to interpret on several counts.

Anything you can add would be helpful.

Diana

This thread: