STUBBS-L Archives

Archiver > STUBBS > 2005-06 > 1119996753

Subject: Re: William E. Stubbs
Date: 28 Jun 2005 16:12:33 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/pJQBAEB/524.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

Message Board Post:

It is possible that the John Stubbs b.c. 1732 was the son of Thomas and Mary Everett Stubbs but I don't have them connected yet...here is what I have on this line (3 Generations)..there are probably mistakes.

Descendants of Thomas Stubbs

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS4 STUBBS (RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1695 in Gloucester County, VA, and died May 23, 1739 in Bath County, NC. He married MARY EVERETT, daughter of NATHANIEL EVERETT and MARY. She was born Abt. 1701 in MD, and died 1738 in Bath County, NC.

Notes for THOMAS STUBBS:
Abstract of Wills 1690-1760

Stubbs, ThomasBeaufort County, NC.

January 17, 1738. August 7, 1737. (Letters issued May 23, 1739.)
Sons: William ("my maner plantation lying near Moratock Bridge"), Thomas (plantation on Flat Swamp "on Pantico Road"), Everet ("land on Pantico Road"), John (land on Coneke Creek called Briles Neck), Richard (land called Saverges). Daughters: Hanah and Mary. Wife and Executrix: Mary. Witnesses: James Dwight, Nathaniel Everet. Clerk of Court: Anderson Sagg.

More About THOMAS STUBBS:
Property: April 16, 1722, Nath'l Everett to Thomas Stubbs 100 acres near Morattuck Bridge Chowan County, NC, Test, Wm. Rodes, Cornelius Callihan
Will: January 17, 1737/38, Beaufort County, NC

Children of THOMAS STUBBS and MARY EVERETT are:
2.i.WILLIAM5 STUBBS, b. Abt. 1724, Bath County, NC.
3.ii.THOMAS STUBBS, b. Abt. 1728, Bath County, NC.
4.iii.EVERETT STUBBS, b. Abt. 1730, Bath County, NC; d. 1793, Tyrrell County, NC.
5.iv.JOHN STUBBS, b. Abt. 1732, Bath County, NC.
v.RICHARD STUBBS, b. Abt. 1734, Bath County, NC; d. 1754, Tyrrell County, NC.

Notes for RICHARD STUBBS:
STUBBS, RICHARD
Secretary of State
Colony of North Carolina
County of Tyrrell
Dated 25 February 1754
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

In ye name of God Amen the 25th Day of February 1754 I Richard Stubbs of the County of Teril and province of North Carolina being very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and mememory thanks be given unto God therfore calling unto mind the mortallity of my body and knowing it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testement that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of God that give it and my body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in a Christain like manner at ye discretion of my executors nothing douting but att ye Genrell Resurecton I shall receive ye same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldy Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me with in this life I give and disspose of ye same in ye following manner and form.

Imprimis - I give and bequeath unto my loving brother Everitt my manner plantation and land belonging to me which I now dwell on to him and his heirs forever and one barrill of corn

Item - I give and bequeath unto my loving brother William three barrils of corn

Item - I give and bequeath unto my loving brother Thomas my hors brdle and saddle

Item - I give and bequeath unto my loving brother John ninteen head of hoggs

Item - I give and bequeath unto Ann Jones Three Cows and one pound six shillings and eight pence proclamation money

Item - I give and bequeath unto my loving sister Mary one cow and yearling one three year old stear and two three year old heffers and ye remander of my estate I desire my be equally devided between my three sisters.

I likewise constitute make and ordain my brothers Thos. Stubbs and Everit Stubbs my hole and sole Executors of this my Last Will and Testement and all singular my lands by them their heirs and assigns forever. I do hereby disalow revoke and disanull all and every other form Testement by them their airs Executors by me in any way before named Willing that this is to be my last will and testement. In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand the day and year above written.
(two lines interlined before a signed)

Richard Stubbs

Signed Seald and declared in the presence of us

David Airs
Esther (her -x- mark) Walker
Mary (her -M- mark) Stubbs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Tyrrel County
March Court 1754

Then was the within will proved in open court by the oaths of David Airs & Esther Walker two of the evidences thereto and at the same time Thos. Stubs and Everit Stubs was duly qualified as Executors therto ordered that the Honorable Jas. Murray Esqr. Secr. have notice that Letters Testamentory issue accordingly.

Test Evan Jones Clerk Court

More About RICHARD STUBBS:
Will: February 25, 1754, Tyrrell County, NC

vi.HANNAH STUBBS, b. Abt. 1736, Bath County, NC.
vii.MARY STUBBS, b. Abt. 1738, Bath County, NC.
viii.SARAH STUBBS, b. Abt. 1739, Bath County, NC.

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM5 STUBBS (THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1724 in Bath County, NC. He married JANE CULLEN.

More About WILLIAM STUBBS:
Will: December 08, 1756, Bath County, NC

Children of WILLIAM STUBBS and JANE CULLEN are:
i.WILLIAM6 STUBBS.
ii.MARGARET STUBBS.

3. THOMAS5 STUBBS (THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1728 in Bath County, NC.

Children of THOMAS STUBBS are:
i.THOMAS6 STUBBS, JR, b. Abt. 1753; m. HANNAH SWINSON, December 08, 1774, Tyrrell County, NC.
6.ii.LEVI STUBBS, b. Abt. 1756, Tyrrell County, NC.
iii.MICAJAH STUBBS, m. MARY RHOADS, March 07, 1799, Tyrrell County, NC.

4. EVERETT5 STUBBS (THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1730 in Bath County, NC, and died 1793 in Tyrrell County, NC. He married ELIZABETH EVANS, daughter of THOMAS EVANS and MARY. She was born Abt. 1734.

Children of EVERETT STUBBS and ELIZABETH EVANS are:
7.i.JESSE6 STUBBS, b. 1758, Beaufort County, NC; d. 1824, Roane County, TN.
ii.MARY STUBBS, b. Abt. 1760, Tyrrell County, NC.
iii.SARAH STUBBS, b. Abt. 1762, Tyrrell County, NC.
8.iv.AARON STUBBS, b. Abt. 1764, Tyrrell County, NC.
v.ZELPHIA STUBBS, b. Abt. 1766, Tyrrell County, NC.
vi.ELIZABETH STUBBS, b. Abt. 1768, Tyrrell County, NC.
vii.LOUISE STUBBS, b. Abt. 1770, Tyrrell County, NC.
9.viii.ABNER STUBBS, b. Abt. 1779, Tyrrell County, NC; d. Aft. 1850, Tattnall County, GA.

5. JOHN5 STUBBS (THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1732 in Bath County, NC.

Child of JOHN STUBBS is:
i.RICHARD6 STUBBS, m. SARAH "SALLY" JORDAN, April 02, 1783, Tyrrell County, NC.

Generation No. 3

6. LEVI6 STUBBS (THOMAS5, THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1756 in Tyrrell County, NC. He married MARY HARDISON 1781 in Tyrrell County, NC, daughter of WILLIAM HARDISON and MARY MIZELL. She was born Abt. 1761 in Tyrrell County, NC.

Child of LEVI STUBBS and MARY HARDISON is:
i.NANCY7 STUBBS, b. Abt. 1790, Tyrrell County, NC; m. ISAAC JACKSON; b. August 19, 1779, NC.

7. JESSE6 STUBBS (EVERETT5, THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born 1758 in Beaufort County, NC, and died 1824 in Roane County, TN. He married MARY JONES December 21, 1784 in Tyrrell County, NC, daughter of FRYLEY JONES and MARGARET CURRELL. She was born Abt. 1764 in Tyrrell County, NC.

Children of JESSE STUBBS and MARY JONES are:
i.GEORGE S7 STUBBS, b. 1785, Tyrrell County, NC; d. Abt. 1849, Roane County, TN; m. FRANCES "FANNIE" MATLOCK, November 26, 1805, Roane County, TN; b. Abt. 1788, Roane County, TN; d. Abt. 1844, Roane County, TN.
ii.ELIZABETH STUBBS, b. October 11, 1787, Tyrrell County, NC; m. HENRY ADDINGTON; b. Abt. 1783.
iii.JENNET STUBBS, b. Abt. 1788, Tyrrell County, NC.
iv.ASIA STUBBS, b. Abt. 1790, Tyrrell County, NC; m. ROBERT RICE, February 04, 1822, Roane County, TN.
v.LOIS STUBBS, b. September 02, 1792, Tyrrell County, NC; d. November 15, 1842, Marshall County, MS; m. JOHN EDWARD GIVINS, January 24, 1811, TN; b. September 03, 1779, Mecklenberg County, NC; d. June 17, 1843, Marshall County, MS.

8. AARON6 STUBBS (EVERETT5, THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1764 in Tyrrell County, NC. He married UNKNOWN.

Notes for AARON STUBBS:
Hi Eilene,
I am related to the Stubbs through the Jesse that had George, Jennet,etc.... Nancy Stubbs Nail, Everett (that died in War of 1812), John (married Mary Ann Nail), Jesse Thomas, Rachel R. Stubbs Boles, Robert R. Stubbs, Penelope Stubbs White, and Alfred Stubbs were all the children of Aaron Stubbs.
Aaron and my Jesse left North Carolina and went to Roane Tennesse after their father, Everett, died in 1793.
You said you found two of Andrew & Nancy Nail's daughters. Would you please share the info with me? I have down that their children are possibly Elizabeth, Margaret, female, and John, but that is all I have on that family. Also, do you know anything about John Stubbs and Mary Ann Nail's family?
Please let me know your connection to this family - which child you descend from, etc.
Thanks,
Moiya Stubbs 11/26/2001

Hi Beth,
I just wanted to correct a couple of things you said. Penelope Stubbs White is not the daughter of George & Frances Matlock Stubbs. George is my 3rd great-grandfather and the son of Jesse Stubbs. Jesse had a brother named Aaron. Jesse and Aaron left NC and moved to Roane Co TN after their father, Everett Stubbs died in the late 1790s. My Jesse's line stayed in TN until George's children were all grown, then some stayed in TN, some moved to IL, and my line moved to IA.
Your Penelope is the daughter of Aaron Stubbs, whose children (most of them, anyway) moved to Missouri.
Did Penelope Stubbs White marry a man named Daniel Pittman after Bloomer died?
Your cousin,
Moiya Stubbs 11/26/2001

Re: STUBBS from Mo. to Tx.
Posted by: Beth Morrison Eha Date: November 27, 2001 at 08:07:18

Hi Moiya,
Thanks for the correction re: Penelope Stubbs lineage. I will e-mail you with further information. Yes, she did marry Bloomer's cousin Daniel Pittman after the death of Bloomer. They then moved from Cass CO. MO to Galena, KS. where she eventually died in 1899....Beth

More About AARON STUBBS:
Census: 1790, Tyrrell County, NC, pg. 34

Children of AARON STUBBS and UNKNOWN are:
i.EVERETT7 STUBBS, b. Abt. 1792; d. April 27, 1814, War of 1812; m. SARAH "SALLY" FORD, September 29, 1812, Roane County, TN.
ii.NANCY STUBBS, b. Abt. 1799; m. ANDREW NAIL, January 20, 1820, Roane County, TN; b. Abt. 1797, TN.
iii.JOHN STUBBS, b. Abt. 1801; m. (1) MARY ANN NAIL, November 20, 1826, Roane County, TN; b. 1806, TN; m. (2) ELIZA, Abt. 1844; b. 1810, NC.

Notes for JOHN STUBBS:
1860 Texas County Missouri Census, Clinton Township, pg. 1001

John Stubbs59FarmerTN
Eliza50NC

iv.JESSE THOMAS STUBBS, b. Abt. 1806, TN; m. LUCINDA; b. Abt. 1816, TN.

Notes for JESSE THOMAS STUBBS:
1860 Texas County Missouri Census, Clinton Township, pg. 1001

Jesse Stubbs55FarmerTN
Lucinda45TN
Thomas20FarmerMO
Van ?18 "MO
James P17 "MO
Benjamin F15 "MO
John R14MO
Newland D12MO
Robert H 9MO
Jasper N 4MO
Martha A 1MO

v.RACHEL R STUBBS, b. Abt. 1810.
vi.ROBERT R STUBBS, b. 1812, Roane County, TN; d. April 1865, Christian County, MO; m. ARMINTA FRIEND, February 13, 1840, Greene County, MO; b. Abt. 1824, MO.

Notes for ROBERT R STUBBS:
1860 Christian County Missouri Census, Linden Township, pg. 521

Robert Stubbs47FarmerTN
Arminta36MO
William19MO
Mary A15MO
Juliy M13MO
Sarah J11MO
Nancy 9MO
Stephen 7MO
Lucinda 5MO
Manda 3MO
Andrew 1MO

vii.PENELOPE MAHALA STUBBS, b. April 11, 1816, Roane County, TN; d. January 17, 1899, KS; m. (1) BLOOMER WHITE, April 08, 1832, Roane County, TN; b. Abt. 1815, TN; d. 1856; m. (2) DANIEL PITTMAN, Aft. 1856; b. 1813, TN.

Notes for PENELOPE MAHALA STUBBS:
[...]

Beth Morrison Eha

Notes for BLOOMER WHITE:
1850 Cass County Missouri Census, 16 District, pg. 125b

Bloomer White31FarmerTN
Penelope30TN
Rachel L14TN
George M12TN
Richard H D 9TN
Robert H 6TN
James M 4TN
Mahala E 2MO

Notes for DANIEL PITTMAN:
Household Record 1880 United States Census
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Daniel PITTMAN Self M Male W 67 TN Farmer TN TN
Penelopy PITTMAN Wife M Female W 65 TN Kps Hse TN TN
James WHITE SSon Male W 28 IN --- ---
Source Information:
Census Place Dolan, Cass, Missouri
Family History Library Film 1254679
NA Film Number T9-0679
Page Number 34D

viii.ALFRED STUBBS, b. 1821, Roane County, TN; m. EDY FRIEND, March 24, 1840, Greene County, MO; b. Abt. 1824, MO.

Notes for ALFRED STUBBS:
1860 Christian County Missouri Census, Linden Township, pg. 532

Alfred Stubbs39FarmerTN
Edy36MO
Isham T20MO
Henry18MO
Elizabeth14MO
Nancy12MO
Alsey 7MO
Neulen 4MO
John 3MO

Household Record 1880 United States Census
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Alfred STUBBS Self M Male W 63 TN Farmer TN TN
Edie STUBBS Wife M Female W 48 AR Keeping House VA VA
John STUBBS Son S Male W 21 MO Farm Laborer TN AR
Mary STUBBS Dau S Female W 14 MO At Home TN AR
Source Information:
Census Place Linden, Christian, Missouri
Family History Library Film 1254681
NA Film Number T9-0681
Page Number 71B
.

9. ABNER6 STUBBS (EVERETT5, THOMAS4, RICHARD3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1779 in Tyrrell County, NC, and died Aft. 1850 in Tattnall County, GA. He married UNKNOWN. She died Bef. 1846 in Tattnall County, GA.

Notes for ABNER STUBBS:
1850 Tattnall County, GA Census, Division 79, pg. 348b

Abner Stubbs70O.S.B.Liberty
America25Bulloch
Aaron Elders 8Tattnall

More About ABNER STUBBS:
Census: 1820, Bulloch County, GA, Book 1, pg. 20, 1- - - 1- 4 - 1 - 1 -

Children of ABNER STUBBS and UNKNOWN are:
i.PENELOPE7 STUBBS, b. August 18, 1803, NC; d. August 09, 1868; m. JAMES K ARCHER.
ii.MARY ANN STUBBS, b. Abt. 1806, FL; m. THOMAS V FAGAN, November 15, 1824, Bulloch County, GA.
iii.ELIZA STUBBS, b. 1808, FL; m. BERRIEN DAUGHTRY.
iv.EVERETT MACGILBERT STUBBS, b. October 07, 1810, FL; d. Aft. 1880, Tattnall County, GA; m. WELTHA ANN KENNEDY, January 07, 1841, Tattnall County, GA; b. March 27, 1814, Bulloch County, GA; d. April 14, 1891, Tattnall County, GA.

Notes for EVERETT MACGILBERT STUBBS:
1850 Tattnall County GA Census, Division 79, pg. 345a

EveretteStubbs39FarmerFlorida
Welthyann36Bulloch
James 8Tattnall
Leander 4Tattnall
Maryann 1Tattnall

1870 Tattnall County GA Census, Reidsville PO, pg. 229b

STUBBSEverett M59FarmerGA
Wealthy56Keeping HouseGA
Mary20No OccupationGA
Everett16Farm LaborerGA
Carolina13At HomeGA

Household Record 1880 United States Census
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Everett M. G. STUBBS Self M Male W 69 FL Farmer NC NC
Welthy A. STUBBS Wife M Female W 65 GA Keeping House GA GA
John B. STUBBS Nephew S Male W 24 GA Farm Laborer GA GA
Lavincy BANKS Other S Female W 25 GA Domestic Servant GA GA
Source Information:
Census Place Dog Fennell, Tattnall, Georgia
Family History Library Film 1254166
NA Film Number T9-0166
Page Number 480A

v.HARRIET ELLEN STUBBS, b. Abt. 1812, Bulloch County, GA; m. JEREMIAH ELDERS, March 26, 1834, Bulloch County, GA.
vi.JANE E STUBBS, b. September 22, 1814, Bulloch County, GA.
vii.CAROLINA COLUMBIA STUBBS, b. August 06, 1817, Bulloch County, GA; m. WILLIAM EDWARD WARNELL.
viii.EMILY "EMMA" STUBBS, b. 1819, Bulloch County, GA.
ix.JAMES L STUBBS, b. April 29, 1821, Bulloch County, GA; d. December 07, 1860, Tattnall County, GA; m. RACHEL MOODY; b. 1828, Liberty County, GA.

Notes for JAMES L STUBBS:
1850 Tattnall County GA Census, Division 79, pg. 345b

JamesStubbs27FarmerBulloch
Rachel22Liberty
William 3Tattnall
James 1Tattnall

Notes for RACHEL MOODY:
1870 Tattnall County GA Census, Reidsville PO, pg. 229b

StubbRachel40FarmerGA
Emma17HousekeeperGA
Jasper16Farm LaborerGA
John14Farm LaborerGA
Mary Ann13At HomeGA
Martha12At HomeGA
Georgian 7GA

x.AMERICA STUBBS, b. February 05, 1824, Bulloch County, GA; d. May 09, 1874.

This thread: