SUFFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > SUFFOLK > 1999-10 > 0941049850

From: "Bob Ridge-Stearn (at home)" <>
Subject: Re: STEARN (linked to Bicker,Bradley, Moise & Wright family)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:44:10 +0400

Hi Adrian, (but consciously posting to the group in case others are
interested),

My mother again - she wants to know if you've come across the publication:
"Interesting incidents connected with the life of George Bickers,
originally a farmer's apprentice at Laxfield... being an autobiography ...
from 1809 to 1881 inclusive."
(Lowestoft, no date).

She says -

Long title, but I have read extracts and it gives a good account of life
for a young man in Laxfield up to May 1825 when he left there.

In a publication I have which includes items on Laxfield, dated 1841, there
are 3 Bicker names. James Bicker (Head of Household) ; Henry Bicker
(HoH) ; and Charlotte Bicker also HoH.

Best wishes,
Bob.

>I have a Charles born September 1734 who married a RACHEL Unknown and
>had 5 children.
>One of whom was a JOHN born 1754 married a Elizabeth BICKER at LAXFIELD.
>They too had 5 children!
>One of whom was a William born 1789 married a Elizabeth MISE or MOISE
>November 1881 at Laxfield. They had 10 children.
>
>One of whom was a Harriet STEARN born February 1820 at Laxfield.
>
>Harriet never married, but at a young age (18) became a servant to
>Joseph & Elizabeth Wright (nee Bradley of Brandeston) of Dennington .
>
>After Elizabeth died in 1840, Harriet and Joseph became lovers.
>Harriet died at the age of 38 years after bearing Joseph 8 children in
>10 years. On her gravestone in Dennington churchyard is the following
>inscription:
>"Faithful Housekeeper to Joseph Wright"
>
>I can supply details of all the siblings, to anybody that believes that
>may have a link.
>regards
>Adrian

This thread: