SUFFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > SUFFOLK > 2001-10 > 1004202192

From: lizzy johansen <>
Subject: BECCLES NON-CONFORMIST RECORDS
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:03:12 +0100

I am hoping someone on this wonderful List will be able to "point me in
the right direction"...

I need to find the location of the Independent chapel records for
Beccles between l806 and l860.
I know that Stephen and Barbary CLARK (mar. Metfield l780) had three
children baptised at the Beccles Independent Chapel -
William, l794, Mary l804 and Robert l806. Their previous child, Phoebe
was born in Ditchingham (baptised C. of E.)in l792.
I note from William's l794 entry it says:
"William C. the son of Stephen C. and Barbara his wife of the Parish of
Hemling (sic.) in the county of Norfolk born the 30 day Aug l794 and
bap. 8 day of Sept. l794 Congregational Chapel Beccles".
I can't find Hemling anywhere - can anyone confirm that this might have
been near to Ditchingham? On Mary and Robert's baptism entry it says
their abode was Beccles so the family must have moved - both home and
religious allegiance!

I have had the Beccles St. Michael burials checked from l806 to l833
without finding a burial for Stephen or Barbary. Would there have been
specific burial places for dissenters at this time? and can I gain
access to the chapel records?

I was overjoyed when I thought I had found Stephen's death certificate
in Beccles for l853 (aged 9l) but, cross-checking this with the l85l
Census, the place of birth for this Stephen is given as Ellough, with
parents Joanna and Abraham - and these names do not continue down the
family at all.
I feel more and more that I have the wrong Stephen and that the answer
lies deep in the Independent Chapel records. Can anyone help?

Diane Johansen

This thread: