SUFFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > SUFFOLK > 2003-10 > 1066119186

From: "sally roberts" <>
Subject: Re: [SFK-UK] GYPSIES GRAVE NEAR NEWMARKET
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:13:06 +0000

Hi Henry,

On visits to Felsham village from London as I child, this was a landmark
where we would stop and place flowers.

My mother always told us that the young gypsy boy was hung after stealing a
sheep, although I have no idea if this is based on fact. (A greatx3 uncle of
mine got three years penal servitude for the same thing in 1852 over the
borders in Huntingdonshire, so it would seem a harsh judgement if it's
true!)

Regards,
Sally.

>From: "Henry George" <>
>Subject: [SFK-UK] GYPSIES GRAVE NEAR NEWMARKET
>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:42:40 +0100
>
>Hello List,
>
>On a recent "fact-finding" trip to Suffolk, on the Newmarket to Kentford
>road I happened upon a well tended road-side grave, on the headstone cross
>of which was inscribed "Joseph an unknown Gypsy boy"!
>
>I would be interested to hear from any Lister who might happen to have
>further information about this curiosity.
>
>Regards,
>

>Henry George

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

This thread: