SUFFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > SUFFOLK > 2003-11 > 1068159165

From: Brenda King <>
Subject: [SFK-UK] "Crossroads" Burial Site in Ipswich
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:52:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello Listers

Thanks to the film of the Ipswich Journal at the Record Office I now know what happened to my ancestor who hanged himself in Ipswich Gaol in April 1792 the day before he was due to be publicly hanged.

The Coroner's inquest brought in a verdict of Self Murder and he subsequently suffered the fate which, according to the newspaper report, seems to have been the usual procedure with suicides' bodies. He was "buried in the crossroads with a stake driven through him". Most unpleasant but I suppose it's better than being dissected for medical research - just.

Are there any Ipswich historians out there who may know or hazzard a guess as to where these crossroads would have been?

Brenda