SUFFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > SUFFOLK > 2008-07 > 1216889659

From: David Gobbitt <>
Subject: [SFK-UK] Ipswich Journal 1800-1900 available online
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:54:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Joan

I was enjoying online access to the Ipswich Journal from my own computer for several months until last week. When I tried to log in again yesterday, the interface had changed and I was informed that my free trial had expired. New registrations are accepted at http://access.gale.com/gdctrial/register.html but the trial period is now limited to just two weeks, which would have been far too short for me to explore the hundreds of interesting items I found in the 19th-century Ipswich Journal, let alone all the other periodicals etc. provided by Gale, such as 18th-century Suffolk poll books (see http://tiny.cc/zWFit).

Although the Ipswich Journal is the only East Anglian newspaper in the Gale Digital Collections, it aimed to reach as many right-wing voters as possible, throughout Suffolk and beyond. The maintenance of law and order was a major concern for them, so, as Sharon has said, legal proceedings were well reported, perhaps more fully than in the official court records of the Assizes (at Kew) if not those of the lower sessions (in local archives).

David (at home - nowhere near the Suffolk Record Office or the British Library!)