SULLIVAN-L Archives

Archiver > SULLIVAN > 1997-04 > 0862359478

From: MR DAN A SULLIVAN <>
Subject: Re: Sullivan Nansemond VA bef 1750
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:17:58, -0500

Bob or Betty and also the Sullivan mailing list,

I've attached my notes and thoughts on Daniel Sullivant of Nansemond.
It mainly verifies what you said in your note.

According to the Joseph Sullivant genealogy, Genealogy and Family
Memorial by Joseph Sullivant;Columbus,Ohio;1874;privately published;
Library of Congress, Joseph Sullivant states that he thought it was a
high probability that his great grandfather was Daniel Sullivant. Since
his grandfather was Michael Sullivant, this means that Daniel may have
had a son named Michael. Since Michael had a sister Elizabeth, then also
another daughter. I've found nothing to prove this and Joseph was going
on the fact of the spelling of the name Sullivant and the fact that his
father said that his grandfather was "a man of high respectability,
holding some appointment under the Colonial Government." Joseph also
mentions later in the chapter that his father said they were related to
General Sumner of the Revolution which also supports the Daniel
Sullivant connection via the marriage Sumner-Sullivant marriages.

Here are my notes and sources I've found on Daniel: (by the way, I
wasn't named for him!, and I've never found a connection to this line.)
But as you can tell, I'm extremely interested in the subject and please
send any information to me also.

Irish Settlers in America;J. O'Brien;Colonial;Fairfax County Library
discusses Daniel Sullivant
also Nansemond Chronicles 1606-1800 by Mrs. Evelyn Huriff Cross;book in
Lloyd House, Alexandria, VA; this book references Hathaways Will's and
Deeds of NC; Vol. 3 page 126 which discusses Daniel as a memberof the
House of Burgess, clerk of court, etc. it also mentions his only son
Daniel and his "daughter in law?" Bridget

Served in House of Burgesses in VA on Dec. 10, 1700; he also
served as the County Clerk of Nansemond and Clerk of Court

Link to Michael is an educated guess not proven and based on Joseph
Sullivant's recollections that there was a Daniel Sullivant in his line
(discussed above)
According to Sumner Researcher, Charles Sumner in an email note received
on Feb. 12, 1995, Jethro Sumner Sr. b. 1703 of the upper parish of
Nansemond
Co., VA, married between 1719 and 1728, Margaret Sullivan of VA, sister
of
Bridgett Sullivan, who was the daughter of Daniel Sullivan. Bridgett
married
William Sumner, Jr. William Jr. & Jethro were brothers, sons of William
Sumner Sr. born abt 1668 probably in England moved to VA in 1690
Jethro Jr. son of Jethro Sr. was the Rev. war gen from NC
Jethro Sr. and Margaret co-owned land in 1728 with Wm. & Bridgett
Sullivan
Sumner in Maiden Hair Neck Chowan Co. This land was proablly est. to be
in NC
after 2nd VA survey

Colonial Residents of Virginia's Eastern Shore by Houghton mentions
Sullenhond, Danl 10 July 1679

English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records compiled by Lous des Cognets
, Jr.
Burgesses mentions Tho. Mihner, Dan'l Sullivan,County clerk
Dan'l is in rent roll of Nansemond Cty. in 1704

Dan Sullivan

This thread: