SULLIVAN-L Archives

Archiver > SULLIVAN > 2007-04 > 1177644747

From: ,
Subject: [SULLIVAN] Owen O'Sullivan, b. Abt 1673, Lynhaven Parish,Princess Anne County, Virginia
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 03:32:27 -0000

Author: angiesullivan70
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.sullivan/834.6/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

From:""
Subject: CHILDREN OF OWEN O'SULLIVAN I
Date: Jul 5, 2006 7:17 PM

Hi, Angie... I am the 7th great granddaughter of Owen O'Sullivan I and Elizabeth Claiborne

I've been looking over your postings worldconnect at rootsweb tonight. I have a question I hope you can help me with. I've always thought Elizabeth Claiborne was the second wife of Owen O'Sullivan I and that Mary Ruth Pleasants was his first wife. Do you know if Owen and Mary had children? When I go to the Kinship Report on FTM, I am listed as Owen and Elizabeth's 7 great granddaughter. When I change Owen's wife to Mary, this report then indicates that I am the great granddaughter of Mary's husband. Does this sound confusing? Anyway, if you could shed some light on my question, I would like to hear from you. You sent me some information a while back on O'Sullivan descendants; hopefully, I can locate it and check on Mary and Elizabeth. Hope you had a nice 4th. Mary Ellen

Taken from book Family History, Sullivan-Dorroh, Parker-Hannah-Lowe, Pearson-Gilliland, Elrod-Conwell-Fendley and Related Families by Eddie Ruth (Pearson) Wilcox
US/CAN 929.273, Su53W

Page I

The National Society Magna Charta Dames
An Hereditary Order Instituted March 1, 1909

William De Lanvallei
A Surety for the Magna Charta

Lineage of Eddie Ruth Pearson Wilcox from Magna Charta Baron William de Lanvallei, one of twenty-five Barons who signed the Magna Charta June 15, 1215. William de Lanvallei was one of the seventween barons known to have descendants living to the present day.

I am a member of the Dallas-Fort Worth Colony of Magna Charta Dames. The National Society of Magna Charta Dames was instituted at the Captial of the United States in the City of Washington, on March 1, 1909. An Hereditary Order, it is composed of member who are lineal descendants of one or more of the Barons of England who in or before the year 1215 rendered actual service toward securing, and who, after many defeats, finally did secure the articles of constitutional liberty, properly called Magna Charta, from their sovereign John, King of England, which he ratified and delivered to them "in the meadow which is called Runnemede between Windsor and Staines," on the Thames, above London, on the 15th day of June, A.D. 1215.

William de Lanvallei, Governor of Colchester Castle when he joined the insurgent barons. They constituted him one of the twenty-five Sureties to govern the kingdom, and he was likewise a party to that covenant which yielded to them the city and Tower of London. He appears to have been reconciled to Henry III at the great treaty of 1217, but there are no further particulars extant concerning him. He was sonof William de Lanvalli, who died 1211, and his wife, Hawise, the father being feudal lord of Hallingbury and Stanway, in Conty Esses. William de Lanvalli, II, married Hawise, daughter of Alan Basset of Wycombe County, Bucks. Alan Basset was brother of Phillip Basset, Chief Justice of England one fo the King's own liegemen. Alan Basset gave the King two hundred marks and "excellent palfrey" that his daughter Hawise might marry William de Lanvallei.

Page 2

Hawise Lanvallei, only daughter of William de Lanvallei and Hawise Bassett, died 1249, married John de Burgh, son of Hubert de Burgh, one of the most eminent and conspicuous nobles of his time, and his wife, Beatrix, Warren.

John de Burgh, died in the 8th year of the reign of King Edward I, married Cecily Baliol.

Margaret Burgh, died 1303, married 27 February 1280 or 1281, married Richard de Burgh, Earl of Ulster who was born 1259, son of Walter de Burgh, died 29 July 1326.

Lady Joan de Burgh m 1312 (1) Thomas Fitzgerald, 2nd Earl of Kildare d 1359

Maurice Fitzgerald, 4th Earl of Kildare, d 1390, m Lady Elizabeth Burghersh, daughter of Sir Bartholmew, Burghersh, Knt; 3rd Baron of Verdon, Lord Justice of Ireland, by 1st wife, Lady Maude Mortimer, daughter of Sir Edmund Mortimer, Baron of Wigmore.

Gerald Fitzgerald, 5th Earl of Kildare, Lord Justice of Ireland in 1405, died 1410 who married Lady Margery Rocheford, daughter of Sir John de Rocheford, Knt; Lord of Thistledown by his wife Lady Margery Bereford, daughter of Lord of Kill, Leixlip & Castlewarren.

John-Cam Fitzgerald, 6th Earl of Kildare, died 1427. He built the castles of Maynooth & Kilkea. The former was the famed stronghold of the Geraldines. The Earls of Kildare ruled in "the Pale" and intermarried with the Irish for some 300 years, until it was said they "were more Irish than the Irish", and her most loyal supporters. He had by wife Margaret de la Herne

Thomas Fitzgerald, 7th Earl of Kildare, Lord Deputy of the Kingdom in 1454 and 1463 and died 1478. He married Lady Joan Butler who died 1486, daughter of James Butler 7th Earl of Desmond and of royal descent from Edward I of England.

Gerald Fitzgerald, 8th Earl of Kildare, Lord Deputy of Ireland and in effect, actual Ruler. He married Lady Allison, daughter of Sir Rowland Eustace of Harristown by Lady Maude, daughter of Jenico d'Artois, widow of John Dondall of Newton. In 1534 the Kildares declared war on England, and later 6 of them were hung.

Lady Eleanor Fitzgerald, sister of Gerald oge, 9th Earl of Kildare, She married (1) Donnell Mac Fineere Mac Carthy-Reagh, Prince of Carberry in Ireland. His mother was daughter of Donnell, 9th Lord of Bearehaven who died 1520.

Lady Julia MacCarthy married Dermod O'Sullivan, the Powdered, 11th Lord of Beare and Bantry of Dunboy Castle, who died 1549.

Page 3

Sir Owen O'Sullivan sat in Parliament 1585, died 1594, married Helena Barry, daughter of James, Lord Barry, Fitz Richard Barry Roe by wie Ellen, daughter of Cormac na Hory MacCarthy Reagh, Issue:
Owen, John, Donel, Julia

Owen O'Sullivan, flourishing 1612 (Carew's Pacata Hiberna p 293. He had a regrant of Dunboy Anno 9 James I) Died 31 August 1616. Married Helena, daughter of Pierce Butler of Gregolt. She died after 1616. Issue: Owen Donel, Dermod, Philip, Connor, Helena, Julia

Owen-Donel O'Sullivan, born after 1599, joined Rebellion of 1641, ws attainted and fled the country, His family scattered among relatives and friends, and some came to America. He married Jo-Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Brown and granddaughter of John Brown. Issue John (or called John Thomas for two maternal ancestors); Derman to America 1656 and left will; Elizabeth Ann

John O'Sullivan born 1637, came to America 24 October 1655 (Patent Book 3, p 392, Land Office, Richmond, Va. (Immigrant) (See Sullivan Family)

Owen O' Sullivan I, born Lynehaven Parish, Princess Anne County, VA., about 1673/4, married several times. Issue: (13) Owen II, Charles, William John, Pleasant. Mary (Mullins), Temperance (Farmer), Esther (Hart), Madeline, Margaret, Frances, Patience, Elizabeth

Owen Sullivan II, born in Luneburg, VA. 1699, died 1790, married Mary Margaret Hewlett May 1721. Issue included James, Sarah Harrison Choice, Owen III, Margaret m. Col Samuel Wharton, Pleasant. Charles

Charles Sullivan born Charlotte County, Virginia 2 April 1728, died in Greenville County, S.C. 3 Nov 1808, buried Lebanon Methodist Church, grave marked as Revolutionary Soldier. He married 15 June 1749 the widow Mary Charlton (Johnson) who was born 1 June 1722, died 20 Dec 1837. Issue: Moses, Sara married Joseph Dunklin. Claiborne, Stephen married Martha Powell; Hewlett.

Stephen Sullivant was born 22 February 1768 Georgia, died 17 Sept 1857 Union County, Kentucky, married Martha Powell

Elizabeth Sullivant born c 1797, d c 1857 Picken County Alabama, married James Dorroh who was born c 1794, died betew 1831 - 40

Rebecca Dorroh b c 1824, d 1897 (Spring, Jonquil-Time) maried William Alonzo Parker b c 1810, d 28 Nov 1911 Pickens County, Al. They were married 1840

Rebecca Ann Parker was born 8 Nov 1862 Al., died 6 June 1941, married John Henry Hannah who was born 1868 pr 74 (record differ) Miss d. 1944, both are buried Zion Cemetary near Gordo, Al. They married 13 Jan 1887 Pickens Co. Al.

Page 4

Jessie Velma Hannah b 8 Feb 1892, d 21 May 1976 m John Wesley Pearson b 28 Oct 1878 Pickens County, Alabama. They married 2 Jan 1907.

Eddie Ruth Pearson b 14 Jan 1924 Pickens County, Al., m. Ralph Osborne Wilcox 9 June 1952

Reference Sources: NSDAR 654394 of Ruth Eddie Pearson Wilcox, DAR Computer Code number 6-047-TX, Dorroh Family Records, 1850 Pickens County, Al. Census Records, 1850 Census Record of Oktibbeha, Miss., M/R, Settlement of Estate of Stephen Sullivan Nov. 1856, pp 186 b, c, d, the Sullivan Family in Ireland and America by Sarah Sullivan Ervin, p 42 Magna Charta Surety, pp 83 and 111 Magna Charta Barons and Their Descendants by Charles H. Browning, p 106 The Sheltons by Kathryn Morris Brown, pp 1507-8, 1511-12 Magna Charta Barons by Wurts, Magna Charta Dames, National Society and Dallas-Fort Worth Colony, certificate dated 24 March 1984.

Taken from book Family History, Sullivan-Dorroh, Parker-Hannah-Lowe, Pearson-Gilliland, Elrod-Conwell-Fendley and Related Families by Eddie Ruth (Pearson) Wilcox
US/CAN 929.273, Su53W

Page 7

Owen O'Sullivan
(Son of John O'Sullivan, Immigrant

Owen O'Sullivan I b Lynhaven Parish, Prince Anne County, Va. C 1673/4, was granted 240 acres 7 Nov. 1700 at Dam Neck, Near Owen Hayes at Fish Pond (Prince Anne County, Va., Bk 4, fol. 126) also granted 862 acres in Lunenburg County 10 Sep 1755 (Pat. BK. 32, 631) granted 225 A 15 July 1760 (Bell's Free State); Grante 160 acres 10 Sept 1755. The tithable List of William Caldwell, taken 1749 for Luenburg shows Owen Sullivan (Wm. and Mary Quart. 11, 57). Owen's will dated 12 Oct. 1768, prv. 6 Feb 1769 in Charlotte County. Family records state he married several times, once in 1693 to Elizabeth, born 1678/9 daughter of Lt. Col. Thomas Claiborne (1647/1685) who married Sarah Fenn. Owen Sullivan's last wife appears to have been Mary Ruth Pleasants b 1671/4, daughter of John I (1644/98) who m. c1666, the widow Jane Larcome Tucker.

Issue: Owen II, Charles, William, John, Pleasant, Mary (Mullins), Temperance (Farmer), Ester (Hart), Madeline, Margaret, Frances, Patience, and Elizabeth.

Taken from book Family History, Sullivan-Dorroh, Parker-Hannah-Lowe, Pearson-Gilliland, Elrod-Conwell-Fendley and Related Families by Eddie Ruth (Pearson) Wilcox
US/CAN 929.273, Su53W

Page 6

John O'Sullivan b 1637, came to America 24 Oct. 1655 (Patent Book 3, p 392, Land Office, Richmond, Va). He came as a minor with relative Elizabeth Va.; Wm. and Mary Quart. Vol. 26). He married (1)Mary daughter of Owen Hayes of Lymhaven Parish (see his will). He married (2) Sara daughter of Thomas Gore. In the early Virginia records the name is variously spelled: Usehulleven, Usuliman, O'Swellivant, O'Sullivan, and Sullivan. The will of John Sullivan is recorded in Princess Anne County, Va., Lymhaven Parish, dated 12 May 1699, prv. 7 Sept. 1698, Bk. 1. p 194; see also State Library, Richmond, Va. Lands owned by him are mentioned in the will of Matthew Brinson 12 June 1681. Abstract of will of Owen Hayes. (Jour. Irish-Amer. Soc.) Issue: Owen, Morris, Mary, Amie; Also John who m. Hester, but died before his father; they had son John who married Catherine Bright.

Taken from http://johndilbeck.com/genealogy/overview.html on October 6, 2002 -

Johnny Lee Dilbeck (John) (that's me) (1952- ), Smiter of Metals, Wizard of Computers.

His parents are:

Mattie Lee Godfrey (Mattie Lee) (1920- ) born November 6, 1920, Gainesville, Georgia, married November 25, 1950, East Point, Georgia (in her parents home), Willie Franklin Dilbeck (Bill) (see Dilbecks of Dawson County ), born February 5, 1913, Charleston, Tennessee, died July 9, 1991, Cherokee Co., North Carolina, buried in Godfrey section of Coal Mountain Cemetary, Forsyth Co., Georgia.

Her father was:

Lee Elbert Godfrey (1897-1985), born September 27, 1897, Coal Mountain, Forsyth Co., Georgia, died November 27, 1985, Atlanta, Fulton Co., Georgia, married 1st, December 19, 1919, Cornelia Edith Lockaby (Nelia), born July 8, 1900, Dawson Co., Georgia, died October 15, 1951, Atlanta, Georgia. Married 2nd, February 22, 1952, Elizabeth Eliza Collier, born September 1, 1907, Decatur, Dekalb Co., Georgia, died March 16, 1997, Atlanta, Fulton Co., Georgia.

His father was:

Elbert Cisney Godfrey (1) (1861-1929), born April 16, 1861 in Coal Mountain District, Forsyth County, Georgia, died March 24, 1929, Gainesville, Hall Co., Georgia, married November 29, 1883 in Dawson County, Georgia to Martha Carolyn Rives (Mattie), born December 8, 1861 in Dawson County, Georgia, died November 29, 1941 in Atlanta, Georgia. Both are buried in Alta Vista Cemetary, Gainesville, Hall Co., Georgia.

His father was:

William L. Godfrey (2) (1829-1865) Civil War Veteran , born December 1829 in South Carolina, was in Forsyth Co, Georgia in 1850 Census, died May, 1865 in Civil War. Married July 13, 1851 Caroline Bennett, born September 20, 1837 in Forsyth Co., Georgia, died April 30, 1926 in Dawson Co, Georgia.

His father was:

James S. Godfrey (3) (1807-after 1880), born July 10, 1807, Laurens Co., South Carolina, died after 1880 Census Dawson Co., Georgia, married 1st, Elizabeth McCoy , born ?, died before January 13, 1859, (was in her father's will 1838). James S. Godfrey married 2nd, Elizabeth Culbertson in Laurens Co., South Carolina, born January 13, 1859. They had no children)

His mother was

Sara Sullivan (4) (1777-1843), born April 9, 1777, died December 2 1843, married March 20, 1794 to John Godfrey, born August 13, 1766, died August 16, 1823.

Her father was

James Sullivan (5) (?-?) Revolutionary War Veteran, of Laurens, SC, bought land in Laurens County in 1781. Married 1st, Meta Boling; 2nd, Sara Harrison Choice.

[The preceding is from research conducted by Mattie Lee Godfrey Dilbeck from 1975 to present (January 24, 2001). The following is taken from South Carolinians in The Revolution by Sara Sullivan Ervin. and other sources including the Encyclopaedia Britannica.]

James Sullivan's father was

Owen Sullivan II (6) (1699-1790) Revolutionary War Veteran, born in Lunenburg, Virginia 1699, died 1790, married May 1721 Mary Margaret Hewlett (Hulit, Hughlett, etc.), born 4 March 1707 (daughter of "William Hewlett" (7) and "Mary Fearne" (7) who was daughter of "John Fearne" (8) and "Mary Lee" (8)). Owen II is named in father's will. By deed 1 October 1781, Owen Sullivan conveys to Charles Crenshaw 151 acres "including the late dwelling house of the late Owen Sullivan deceased, devised to said Owen Sullivan by Will of Owen Sullivan deceased" (Charlotte Co., Virginia, D BK 3, p. 571). There are records of other sales from Owen Sullivan to James Mullins, Stephen Farmer, etc. A History of Sullivan family was compiled 1882 and published by William D. Sullivan 1913. In it he states that the above OWEN and wife MARGARET HEWLETT had 5 children to move from Virginia to South Carolina.

His father was

Owen O'Sullivan I (7) (about 1673 - about 1769), born Lynhaven Parish, Princess Anne County, Virginia, about 1673 or 1674, was granted 240 acres 7 November 1700 at Dam Neck, near Owen Hayes at Fish Pond (Princess Anne County, Virginia, Book 4, fol. 126) also granted 862 acres in Lunenburgh County 10 September 1755 (Pat. Bk. 32, 631) granted 255 acres 15 July 1760 (Bell's Free State); granted 160 acres 10 September 1755. The tithable List of William Caldwell, taken 1749 for Lunenburg shows Owen Sullivan (William and Mary Quart. 11, 57). Owen's will dated 12 October 1768, proved 6 February 1769 in Charlotte County (this county cut off from Lunenburg in 1764). Family records state he married several times, once in 1693 to Elizabeth, born 1678 or 1679 daughter of Lt. Col. Thomas Claiborne (1647-1685) who married Sara Fenn. Owen Sullivan's last wife appears to have been Mary Ruth Pleasants, born 1671 to 1674, daughter of John I (1644-1698) who married about 1666 the widow Jane La!
rcome Tucker. The names -- Owen, Claiborne, John, Pleasant, Elizabeth, etc. -- come down through generations to present.

His father was

John Thomas O'Sullivan (8) (1637 - about 1698), born 1637, came to America 24 October 1655 (Patent Book 3, page 392, Land Office, Richmond, Virginia) He came as minor with relative Elizabeth Sullivan. He appears in "a list of Lower Norfolk People" in 1673 as 36 years old (Clerk's Office, Norfolk, Virginia; William and Mary Quart. Vol. 26). He married 1st Mary daughter of Owen Hayes of Lynhaven Parish (see his will). He married 2nd Sara, daughter of Thomas Gore. In the early Virginia records the name is variously spelled: Usehullevan, Usiliman, O'Swellivant, O'Sullivan, and Sullivan. The will of John Sullivan is recorded in Princess Anne County, Virginia: Lynhaven Parish, dated 12 May 1698, proved 7 September 1698, Book 1, page 194; see also State Library, Richmond, Virginia. Lands owned by him are mentioned in the will of Matthew Brinson 12 June 1681 (Journal Irish-American Soc. 25/103. Abstract of will of Owen Hayes, 25, 99).

Issue: Owen O'Sullivan I, Morris, Mary, Amie and John with wife Hester who died bef. Father & had son John, married Catherine Bright.

Important Note: