SUMNER-L Archives

Archiver > SUMNER > 2000-10 > 0971827993

From: "J. Anderson" <>
Subject: Sumner Cemeteries - Worth County, Georgia
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:13:13 -0400

Sharon Sumner Fields:

For information:

There are several cemeteries in Worth County, Georgia called "Sumner Cemetery".

One is the Sumner Family Cemetery and is located in a field on the old Joe Sumner homeplace just outside the town of Sumner. This cemetery contains the remains of Joseph Sumner and his wife Mahala Smith Sumner among others.

Another is the Sumner Cemetery, so named simply because it's in the little town of Sumner, Georgia. Joseph M. Sumner, Henry L. Sumner, Elizabeth Jane Sumner and other SUMNER relatives are buried here.

Yet another is the George W. Sumner Family Cemetery with the remains of George W. Sumner, his son James Buchanan Sumner and others.

There's also the Monk-Sumner Family Cemetery. Daniel S. Sumner, Mary Ann Monk Sumner, (2nd wife of John C. Sumner), Mary E. Sumner (dau of Daniel S. Sumner) and others are buried here.

If you have access to the book, "The Complete Cemetery Records of Worth County, Georgia" compiled by Catherine Fussell Wells, you can see all the burials in each cemetery in present day Worth County as well as some cemeteries now in Tift or Turner Counties that were, originally, in Worth County. (and there's some "Sumner" cemeteries in Tift!) (until I read your post, I had never seen Snowridge Cemetery, in Turner County, referred to as Sumner Cemetery!)

Julian Anderson

This thread: