SUMPTER-L Archives

Archiver > SUMPTER > 2007-08 > 1188251972

From: "Deb McKay" <>
Subject: Re: [SUMPTER] Sumpter family line
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:59:32 -0400

Howdee Cousin -- you have more information than I do, at least more
detailed. My e-mail address is , we can hook up either
way.
The MAIN problem I have, is I have a back-up of the file, but it's on the
desktop which is temporarily incapacitated, so what I'm about to include in
this message will, most likely, not be everything I have as I am getting it
from a smaller file (my database is over 2 gigabytes long).

This Margaret Sumpter is my 2nd great-grandmother: I wholly welcome any
corrections to this information -- Also Note: I LIVE in Knox County, TN and
you will see a lot of references to this family in Knox County and Roane
County Tennessee -- I have not had the opportunity to get to Roane County
during the week, only on the weekends as I own 14 acres of property in that
county. If ANYONE has any IDEA of where the graveyards, etc. are of those
listed as having died and are buried in Knox County, PLEASE send them to me,
as I have spent the last 10 years stomping around all the OLDER graveyards
in Knox County seeking these lost relatives. I also hope that all of this
gets through.

Ancestors of Margaret Sumpter

Generation No. 1

1. Margaret Sumpter, born 1828 in Ohio; died 1896 in Crawford
County, Indiana. She was the daughter of 2. John Sumpter and 3. Hannah
Darby. She married (1) Jackson Myers 18 November 1849 in Crawford County,
Indiana. He was born 1829 in Ripley County, Indiana, and died 01 January
1897 in Cape Sandy, Crawford County, Indiana. He was the son of James Myers
and Sarah Kinnett.

More about Margaret Sumpter:

Burial: Fredonia Cem., Crawford County, Indiana

Occupation: Housekeeper

Residence: 1880, Ohio, Crawford, Indiana, United States

Notes for Jackson Myers:

Jackson Myers is buried in Fredonia Cemetery, Crawford County, Indiana in an
unmarked gravesite.

More about Jackson Myers:

Died 2: Cape Sandy, Crawford County, Indiana

Burial: Fredonia Cemetery, Crawford County, Indiana

Occupation: Miller

Residence: 1880, Ohio, Crawford, Indiana, United States

More about Jackson Myers and Margaret Sumpter:

Marriage: 18 November 1849, Crawford County, Indiana

Generation No. 2

2. John Sumpter, born Bet. 20 - 29 October 1792 in Knox County,
Tennessee ("State of Franklin"); died 24 September 1861 in Crawford County,
Indiana. He was the son of 4. Thomas Sumpter and 5. Lydia Kirkpatrick. He
married 3. Hannah Darby 26 August 1819 in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio.

3. Hannah Darby, born 15 February 1803 in Clermont County, Ohio;
died 12 April 1877 in Crawford County, Indiana. She was the daughter of 6.
Owen Darby and 7. Margaret Frits.

More about John Sumpter:

Burial: Crawford County, Indiana

Occupation: Farmer

More about Hannah Darby:

Date born 2: 15 February 1803, Virginia

More about John Sumpter and Hannah Darby:

Marriage: 26 August 1819, Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio

Children of John Sumpter and Hannah Darby are:

1 i. Margaret Sumpter, born 1828 in Ohio; died
1896 in Crawford County, Indiana; married Jackson Myers 18 November 1849 in
Crawford County, Indiana.

ii. Robert Sumpter, born 25 December 1829 in
Daviess County, Indiana; died 06 August 1912 in Crawford County, Indiana;
married (1) America Myers; born 20 December 1838 in Ripley County, Indiana;
died 20 November 1922 in Crawford County, Indiana; married (2) Sarah Ann
Myers; born 1846 in Harrison County, Indiana (Sarah is the sister to
America).

More about Robert Sumpter:

Burial: Cedar Hill Leavenworth, Indiana

Occupation: Farmer

Residence 1: 1900, Ohio, Crawford, Indiana

Residence 2: 1910, Ohio Twp, Crawford, Indiana

More about America Myers:

Died 2: 20 November 1922

Burial: Fredonia Cemetery, Crawford Co., Indiana

Occupation: Housekeeper

iii. Sarah Sumpter, born 15 July 1832 in
Kentucky; died 15 January 1916 in Crawford County, Indiana; married Pleasant
Carver, Sr. 06 October 1853 in Crawford County Indiana; born 1834 in
Indiana.

More about Sarah Sumpter:

Occupation: Housekeeper

More about Pleasant Carver, Sr.:

Occupation: Farm Hand

More about Pleasant Carver and Sarah Sumpter:

Marriage: 06 October 1853, Crawford County Indiana

iv. Isabelle Sumpter, born 07 March 1835; died
05 March 1909 in Crawford County, Indiana; married Daniel Carver 01 December
1853 in Crawford County Indiana; born 02 March 1832 in Larue County
Kentucky; died 30 July 1870 in Meade County Kentucky.

More about Isabelle Sumpter:

Residence: 1860, Not Stated, Meade, Kentucky

More about Daniel Carver:

Burial: Mount Hope Cemetery Meade County Ky

Occupation: Farm Labor

More about Daniel Carver and Isabelle Sumpter:

Marriage: 01 December 1853, Crawford County Indiana

v. Mary J. Sumpter, born 1839.

Generation No. 3

4. Thomas Sumpter, born 15 December 1761 in Albemarle County,
Virginia; died 14 January 1845 in Knox County, Tennessee. He was the son of
8. William Thomas Sumpter, Jr. and 9. Judith Randall. He married 5. Lydia
Kirkpatrick 18 March 1790 in Burke, North Carolina.

5. Lydia Kirkpatrick, born Abt. 1769 in Burke County, North
Carolina; died 26 August 1850 in Knox County, Tennessee. She was the
daughter of 10. Robert Kirkpatrick and 11. Elizabeth Guiering.

Notes for Thomas Sumpter:

Thomas was a fifer in the Revolutionary War.

[Brøderbund WFT Vol. 45, Ed. 1, Tree #0839, Date of Import : Jun 5, 2002]

Thomas Sumpter served as a fifer and private. He lived in Burke Co., NC
1778, moved to Knox Co., TN in 1798 or 9 , stayed there until about 1824 and
then moved to Butler Co., OH for 6 months, returning to Knox Co., TN.

Was said to have a daughter, Mrs. Sally Green.

He was a "Fifer" in the Rev. War.

TN Pension Roll of 1835

COPIED AND INDEXED BY:

WILLIAM R. NAVEY

P. O. BOX 251

HOLLY RIDGE, NC 28445

THOMAS SUMPTER KNOX COUNTY' PRIVATE - FIFER NORTH CAROLINA LINE $55.66
ANNUAL ALLOWANCE

$166.98 AMOUNT RECEIVED OCTOBER 2, 1833 PENSION STARTED AGE 72

More about Thomas Sumpter:

Move 1: 1798, to Knox Co., TN, from Burke Co., NC

Move 2: 1824, to Butler Co., OH

Move 3: 1824, to Knox Co., TN

Notes for Lydia Kirkpatrick:

IGI Also has a possible birth year of 1765 for Lydia as well as 1773, 1777.

"That Thomas Sumpter aforesaid died on the 14th day of January A.D. 1845
leaving a surviving widow Lydia Sumpter who also died on the 26th day of
August A.D. 1850 leaving the following children as her heirs at law.
Elizabeth Bayless, Mary Anderson, Elvira Kline and the affiant on this
declaration. Affiant makes this declaration in order to obtain the arrearage
of pension due his mother Lydia Sumpter at her death under the acts of
Congress of June the 17th 1844 and February the 2nd 1848 with reference to
the act of May the 6" 1846. For proof on the case affiant would refer the
department to that which is already upon file and that which accompanies
this declaration."

More about Lydia Kirkpatrick:

Occupation: Housewife

Marriage Notes for Thomas Sumpter and Lydia Kirkpatrick:

On this 3" day of July 1847 personally appeared before me Philip D. Bell an
acting Justice of the Peace for said county Lydia Sumpter a resident of the
county of Knox and State of Tennessee who being first sworn according to law
doth on her oath make the following Declaration in order to obtain the
benefit of the provisions made by the act of Congress passed the 4" July
1836 and its Emendations Acts. That she is the widow of Thomas Sumter Decd
who was a soldier and fifer in the war of the revolution and departed this
life on the 15th day of January 1846 and drew a pension of fifty five
dollars and sixty six cents per annum up to the time of his death for
further particulars. She refers the department to their own files and that
she was married to the said Thomas Sumpter on the 18th day of March 1790 in
the county of Burke and State of North Carolina - And that she has remained
a widow ever since the death of her said husband as will more fully appear
by reference to the proof thereto annexed.

Lydia (her + mark ) Sumpter

Justice of the peace for Knox County

I, John Bayless a resident of the county of Knox and State of Tennessee do
hereby certify that I am well acquainted with Lydia Sumpter who has
certified in the foregoing Declaration, that she is the widow of Thomas
Sumter, Dec'd who drew a pension for services rendered the United States in
the war of the revolution that I become acquainted with them in Knox County
Tennessee in the year 1793 or 4 and that they had at that time two or three
children that I have known them and lived near them most of the time since.
That they sustained the relation of husband and wife up to the time of the
said Thomas Sumpter death which took place the 15" day of January 1846. And
that the remains a widow ever since.

John Bayless

Knoxville April 25th 1843.

Sir:

I am requested by Thomas Sumpter a pensioner under the act of 7th June 1832
to ask for such information as will enable him to obtain pay due him from
the Government for the following service for which he has never had any
compensation. He volunteered under Capt. John Baird Sept. 17, 1794. I served
as a soldier under him until 31 Dec following when he was discharged with a
promise from his Captain that he should have promise from his Captain that
he should have his pat (pay?) at some future period most of those who served
at that time did subsequently secure their pay and also trusts of land none
of which was ever paid to the above individual who also states that during
the whole of the tour he fed and clothed himself and horse. There is now
but one man living that he has any knowledge of served at that time. He
lives some 60 miles distant and should his claim be allowed on his proving
the above facts. The evidence of this individual can be obtained. Mr.
Sumpter is a nephew of the late Gen. Sumpter is a nephew of the late Gen.
Sumpter and has 3 sons all of whom served under Gen. Jackson and men with
him in the battle of the Horseshoe. but the whole family are in very narrow
circumstances.

I am respectfully Yr obt sert

Wm Goodrich

J.L. Edwards Esq.

Commissioner of Pensions.

More about Thomas Sumpter and Lydia Kirkpatrick:

Marriage: 18 March 1790, Burke, North Carolina

Children of Thomas Sumpter and Lydia Kirkpatrick are:

i. Jean Sumpter, born 18 January 1791 in Knox
County, Tennessee; died Abt. 1832; married Moses Martin 11 October 1808 in
Knox County, Tennessee; born in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee; died
1860 in Arkansas.

More about Jean Sumpter:

Date born 2: 18 January 1791, Albemarle Co., Va

More about Moses Martin and Jean Sumpter:

Marriage: 11 October 1808, Knox County, Tennessee

2 ii. John Sumpter, born Bet. 20 - 29 October 1792
in Knox County, Tennessee ("State of Franklin"); died 24 September 1861 in
Crawford County, Indiana; married Hannah Darby 26 August 1819 in Hamilton,
Butler County, Ohio.

iii. James Nelson Sumpter, born 17 April 1794 in
Knox County, Tennessee; died 24 September 1861 in Hot Springs, Arkansas;
married Susan Geren 14 January 1819 in Knox County, Tennessee.

More about James Nelson Sumpter:

Name 2: James Sumpter

Date born 2: 17 September 1794, Knox County, Tennessee

More about Susan Geren:

Name 2: Susan Gearing/Geren

More about James Sumpter and Susan Geren:

Marriage: 14 January 1819, Knox County, Tennessee

iv. Robert Sumpter, born 30 October 1795 in Knox
County, Tennessee; died 1812; married Elizabeth Griffith.

v. William Sumpter, born 13 March 1797 in Knox
County, Tennessee; died Bef. 1850; married Elizabeth Moad 11 January 1816 in
Knox County, Tennessee.

More about William Sumpter and Elizabeth Moad:

Marriage: 11 January 1816, Knox County, Tennessee

vi. Elizabeth Ann Sumpter, born 16 January 1802
in Knox County, Tennessee; died 16 February 1864 in Knox County, Tennessee;
married Isaac Bayless 26 November 1821 in Knox County, Tennessee.

Marriage Notes for Elizabeth Sumpter and Isaac Bayless:

Information from:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/knox/vitals/marriages/knxmrs-s.txt

SUMPTER, Betsy marr. BAYLESS, Isaac on
26-NOV-1821

More about Isaac Bayless and Elizabeth Sumpter:

Marriage: 26 November 1821, Knox County, Tennessee

vii. Susannah Sumpter, born 30 April 1804 in Knox
County, Tennessee; died Bef. November 1821 in Knox County, Tennessee;
married Isaac Bayless 27 July 1820 in Knox County, Tennessee.

More about Susannah Sumpter:

Burial: Knox County, Tennessee

More about Isaac Bayless and Susannah Sumpter:

Marriage: 27 July 1820, Knox County, Tennessee

viii. Lydia A. Sumpter, born 08 August 1806 in
Knox County, Tennessee; married Samuel L. Kline 06 September 1849 in Knox
County, Tennessee.

Notes for Samuel L. Kline:

It is unknown whether this is the husband of Lydia - will prove with further

research.

Marriage Notes for Lydia Sumpter and Samuel Kline:

Information from:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/knox/vitals/marriages/knxmrs-s.txt

SUMPTER, Lydia A marr. KLINE, Samuel L on
06-SEP-1849

More about Samuel Kline and Lydia Sumpter:

Marriage: 06 September 1849, Knox County, Tennessee

ix. Mary Sumpter, born 02 December 1807 in Knox
County, Tennessee; married John Anderson 17 July 1842 in Knox County,
Tennessee.

More about John Anderson and Mary Sumpter:

Marriage: 17 July 1842, Knox County, Tennessee

x. Edward Sumpter, born 1810 in Knox County,
Tennessee; married Amanda Ezell 31 March 1853 in Knox County, Tennessee.

Marriage Notes for Edward Sumpter and Amanda Ezell:

Information from:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/knox/vitals/marriages/knxmrs-s.txt

SUMPTER, Edward marr. EZELL, Amanda on
31-MAR-1853

More about Edward Sumpter and Amanda Ezell:

Marriage: 31 March 1853, Knox County, Tennessee

xi. Elivira Sumpter, born 1815 in Knox County,
Tennessee; married Archibald Cline 20 April 1843 in Knox County, Tennessee.

More about Archibald Cline:

Name 2: Archibald Kline/Cline

Marriage Notes for Elivira Sumpter and Archibald Cline:

Information from:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tn/knox/vitals/marriages/knxmrs-s.txt

SUMPTER, Elvira marr. CLINE, Archibald on
20-APR-1843

More about Archibald Cline and Elivira Sumpter:

Marriage: 20 April 1843, Knox County, Tennessee

6. Owen Darby, born 13 July 1782 in New Jersey; died 26 March 1844
in Indianapolis, Marion Co., in. He was the son of 12. Samuel Darby and 13.
Hanna Owen. He married 7. Margaret Frits 1799 in Monongalia County, Va.

7. Margaret Frits, born 03 March 1783 in Virginia; died 02 January
1822 in Ohio. She was the daughter of 14. John Michael Frits and 15. Nancy.

More about Owen Darby and Margaret Frits:

Marriage: 1799, Monongalia County, Va

Children of Owen Darby and Margaret Frits are:

i. Sara Darby, born 10 March 1801 in
Monongalia County, Va.

3 ii. Hannah Darby, born 15 February 1803 in
Clermont County, Ohio; died 12 April 1877 in Crawford County, Indiana;
married John Sumpter 26 August 1819 in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio.

iii. John Darby, born 02 December 1804 in
Virginia.

iv. Daniel Darby, born 10 June 1806 in Ohio.

v. Samuel Darby, born 25 July 1808 in Indiana.

vi. Ezra Darby, born 10 June 1810 in Ohio.

vii. Squire Darby, born 01 December 1811 in Ohio.

viii. Rowlen Darby, born 05 October 1813 in Ohio.

ix. Thomas Darby, born 30 July 1814 in Butler
County, Oh.

x. Hester Darby, born 04 May 1817 in Ohio.

xi. Joseph Marsh Darby, born 27 February 1819 in
Butler County, Oh.

Generation No. 4

8. William Thomas Sumpter, Jr., born 29 August 1731 in Hanover
County, Virginia; died 23 October 1819 in Burke County, North Carolina. He
was the son of 16. William Thomas Sumpter, Sr. and 17. Elizabeth Patience
(Dulce') Iveson. He married 9. Judith Randall Abt. 1754 in Albemarle
County, Virginia.

9. Judith Randall, born Abt. 1736 in Albemarle County, Virginia;
died Aft. 1788 in Burke County, North Carolina.

Notes for William Thomas Sumpter, Jr.:

William, along with his brother, Thomas, was in the Revolutionary War.
William's son, Thomas, named after his famous uncle, was also in the
Revolutionary War. William's brother John was also in the Revolutionary
War.

Two separate Dates of Birth for William, the one listed, and 29 October
1731.

>From the book "Sumpter - A Branch of the Family Tree" by Harold E. Sumpter

'William was married to Judith Randall and became a farmer and land owner in
Virginia. He made several land purchases after his father's death. After a
period of time his land holdings were in the hundreds of acres. Deciding to
go south he sold his land holdings in Virginia and moved to Burke County,
North Carolina, in 1779. They lived near the Catawba River. Today the city
of Morgantown is the county seat of Burke County and is located on the
river. During the American Revolution William served as captain in the army
fighting out of the state of North Carolina. He commanded a company of
troops in Burke County under Colonel James Richards. William and his wife,
Judith Randall, had nine children, all born in Albemarle County, Virginia.
William died in 1819.'

In 1776 Wm. Moved to Burke Co., NC. He commanded a company of Burke Co., NC
troops, under Col. James Rickard, in American Rev., serving under General
George Washington.

Hi David

According to my card file and Dr. Ward Sumpter of Kentucky, William Sumpter
is referred to as Capt William to keep him separate from all the William
Sumpters. He was born 29 Oct 1731 in Hanover Co, VA. He died about 1819 in
Burke Co, NC. He married Judith Randall about 1754 in Virginia and probably
moved to Burke Co, NC, about 1776. William and Judith Randall Sumpter had
the following children: John b @1775 married Ann Alexander - moved to NC,
William b @1757 married Jane? - lived NC, James b @1759 married Nancy
Jinkins in Burke Co but probably moved to KY, Thomas b 1761 married Lydia
Kirkpatrick - lived Knox Co, TN. This man is well documented by his pension
application papers for the Revolution. Elizabeth b @ 1763 married Edward
Owings (Owens) - lived in TN. Also well documented by family and TN records.
Amelia b @ 1766 married? Buckner - believed moved to KY. Fielding b 1769
married Sarah? - moved first to KY and later to MO., This man and family
have been well researched by several people. Judith b @ 1771 believed to
have married? Randall - lived NC Livingston b 1773 married Charlotte
Temple - lived Indiana. This man has been fairly well researched by
descendants. Now come the problems: according to Jane, Capt William's
daughter in law, Capt William married a second time and had 10 more
children, now unknown although there are various Sumpters who have surfaced
in North Carolina and we cannot determine parentage. One possibility: a
William Sumpter married a Margaret Hoskins in 1774 in Albemarle Co, VA. If
Judith Randall Sumpter passed away shortly after Livingston's birth, Capt
William could have remarried by 1774 and before the family moved to NC.
However, by 1774, William Junior would have been about 17 years old and
could have married Margaret Hoskins. We do believe that William, Jr., was
married before he married Jane. Jane told her stories to Lyman Draper of the
Wisconsin Historical Society after the Civil War which indicates that she
was much younger than William, Jr. Yes, Capt William was a brother of
General Thomas Sumter. They also had a brother John, a sister Patience and
probably a brother Edmund and a sister Anne.

Jane Sumpter Malone-George

More about William Thomas Sumpter, Jr.:

Date born 2: 29 October 1731, Hanover County, Virginia

Died 2: 23 October 1820, Burke County, North Carolina

Military service: Burke County, North Carolina

Move: 1779, Burke County, North Carolina

More about Judith Randall:

Date born 2: 1731, Virginia

Died 2: 1788, Burke County, North Carolina

More about William Sumpter and Judith Randall:

Marriage: Abt. 1754, Albemarle County, Virginia

Children of William Sumpter and Judith Randall are:

i. John Sumpter, born Abt. 1755 in Albemarle
County, Virginia; died 04 March 1800 in Lincolnton, Lincoln County, North
Carolina; married (2) Ann Alexander 20 July 1785 in Lincoln County, North
Carolina; born 1774 in Lincoln County, North Carolina.

More about Ann Alexander:

Name 2: Annie Alexander

More about John Sumpter and Ann Alexander:

Marriage: 20 July 1785, Lincoln County, North Carolina

ii. William Sumpter, born Abt. 1757 in
Albemarle County, Virginia; died 22 June 1843 in North Carolina; married (2)
Jane Crisp 1774; born 1757 in Georgia; died 1875 in Caldwell County, North
Carolina.

More about William Sumpter:

Name 2: William Sumter

Died 2: 22 June 1843, North Carolina

More about Jane Crisp:

Name 2: Jane Crispes

More about William Sumpter and Jane Crisp:

Marriage: 1774

iii. James Sumpter, born Abt. 1759 in Albemarle
County, Virginia; married Nancy Jinkins Abt. 1780 in Burke County, North
Carolina.

More about James Sumpter and Nancy Jinkins:

Marriage: Abt. 1780, Burke County, North Carolina

4 iv. Thomas Sumpter, born 15 December 1761 in
Albemarle County, Virginia; died 14 January 1845 in Knox County, Tennessee;
married Lydia Kirkpatrick 18 March 1790 in Burke, North Carolina.

v. Elizabeth Sumpter, born Abt. 1763 in
Albemarle County, Virginia; died Abt. 1845 in Roane County, Tennessee;
married Edward Owings; born Abt. 1766 in Baltimore County, Maryland; died 23
October 1857 in Post Oak Springs, Roane Co, Tennessee.

Notes for Edward Owings:

Alias: Edward /Owen/

[Brøderbund WFT Vol. 14, Ed. 1, Tree #1690, Date of Import: Oct 21, 1998]

Residences: Baltimore Co., MD; Rowan Co., NC; Roane Co., TN.

Purchased from Stockley Donaldson 300 Acres on Caney Creek, on the north
side of Clinch River in Roane Co., TN on 30 Jan 1797.--Deed Bk I, p.9.

They had 10 children.

Source: "Owings & Allied Families" by A.D. Owings

His will in Roane Co., TN was probated in 1857., Estate Bk. F. 1856-62, p.
114.

>From "Goodspeed Biographical Sketches,"

"..........He is the eldest of thirteen children born to Samuel and Sarah
(Randolph) Owings. The father was born and reared in Roane County, and was a
soldier in the war of 1812, and assisted in the removal of the Cherokee
Indians to the Indian Territory. He was the third of nine children born to
Edward and Elizabeth (Sumpter) Owings, natives of North Carolina, and he was
the first man to cross the Big Emory River and there build a house. Both
were of English descent, and the grandmother was a woman of remarkable force
of character."

More about Edward Owings:

Military service: Roane County, TN

vi. Amelia Sumpter, born Abt. 1766 in Albemarle
County, Virginia; married Mr.Buckner.

vii. Fielding Sumpter, born 14 October 1769 in
Albemarle County, Virginia; died Aft. 1850 in Duncan's Bridge, Monroe
County, Missouri; married Sarah 16 May 1798 in Burke County, North Carolina;
born Abt. 1783 in North Carolina.

Notes for Fielding Sumpter:

On January 24, 1853 the Randolph County Court appropriated $ 40.00 for the
support of Fielding and Sarah Sumpter who were living with Henry Sumpter at
that time.

On April 10, 1854 Fielding Sumpter is listed in the Randolph County Court
Records as one of the persons "subject to a poll tax to work the public
roads in District No. 3 in Sugar Creek Township". Sarah Sumpter, age 77, is
last listed in the Randolph County, Union Township, Milton Post Office
Census of July 25, 1860 (page 894) as living with Henry and Barbara Sumpter.

More about Fielding Sumpter:

Residence: 1850, District 59, Monroe, Missouri

More about Sarah:

Residence 1: 1850, District 59, Monroe, Missouri

Residence 2: 1860, Union, Randolph, Missouri

More about Fielding Sumpter and Sarah:

Marriage: 16 May 1798, Burke County, North Carolina

viii. Judith Sumpter, born Abt. 1771 in Albemarle
County, Virginia; married ? Randall.

ix. Livingston Sumpter, born 10 October 1773 in
Albemarle County, Virginia; died 05 February 1846 in Union Twp. Union
County, Indiana; married Charlotte Temple; born 12 December 1788 in North
Carolina.

More about Livingston Sumpter:

Burial: College Corner, Indiana

10. Robert Kirkpatrick, born Abt. 1743 in Morris, NJ; died Bef. 23
March 1803 in Roane County, TN. He married 11. Elizabeth Guiering 04 August
1768 in Morris, New Jersey.

11. Elizabeth Guiering, born Bet. 1748 - 1750 in Morris County, New
Jersey; died Aft. 1815 in Roane County, Tn. She was the daughter of 22.
Joseph Guerrin.

Notes for Robert Kirkpatrick:

05 Dec 1778 - Burke County, North Carolina:

...which was 300 acres of land, grant #1442, entry #177, described as on the
Middle Fork of Brumleys Creek.

1792: Greene County, North Carolina (Source: Title: The Kirkpatrick Family
Paint Rock Valley, Alabama And Allied

Derrick and Smith Families, Abbrev: Fam Kirk Pnt Rck, Author: Eva A. SMITH,
Publication: , 2708 Day Rd., Huntsville, AL, 1985 Repository: Name: Eva
A.Smith, Date: 26 MAR 1995 )

1802: Roane County, TN

Of Capt. Gray Sym's Company: (Source: Title: History of Roane Co (TN)
Abbrev: TN Roane Co Bk History of Author: Emma Middleton Wells Repository:
Genealogy Section-8th Floor. ALSO Title: Pioneers of Roane County, Tennessee
1801-1830

Abbrev: Pioneers of Roane County, TN Author: Mable Harvey Thornton
Publication: n.p., Rockwood, Tennessee, 1965

Note: Photocopy in files of Jeri Steele acquired August 27, 1996 from
photocopy owned by Melodie Young Sanders who acquired her photocopy from the
Denver Public Library, Denver, CO and she acquired it 18 Aug, 1980. Pg 8)

04 Aug 1779, Wilkes County, NC: 100 acres on both sides of the Yadkin River
between the upper and lower Dark Bottom, including the dry ford at fork of
river. (Source: Title: The Kirkpatrick Family Paint Rock Valley, Alabama and
Allied Derrick and Smith Families Abbrev: Fam Kirk Pnt Rck Author: Eva A.
SMITH Publication, 2708 Day Rd., Huntsville, AL, 1985

Repository: Name: Eva A. Smith Date: 26 MAR 1995)

June 1780, Wilkes County, NC: 100 acres on small branch that runs into the
Yadkin River between where James Barkley now lives and Simon Mills, on the
path that leads off Reedy Branch to the Indian Grove Camp. (Source: Same as
above)

1790 Wilkes County, North Carolina: sold 100 acres in Dark bottom to
Hezekiah Sutton (Source: Same as above)

More about Robert Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Guiering:

Marriage: 04 August 1768, Morris, New Jersey

Child of Robert Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Guiering is:

5 i. Lydia Kirkpatrick, born Abt. 1769 in Burke
County, North Carolina; died 26 August 1850 in Knox County, Tennessee;
married Thomas Sumpter 18 March 1790 in Burke, North Carolina.

12. Samuel Darby, born Abt. 1730 in Scotch Plains, Union Co., New
Jersey; died Abt. 1830 in Virginia. He married 13. Hanna Owen Bet. 1728 -
1762.

13. Hanna Owen, born Bet. 1748 - 1789.

More about Samuel Darby and Hanna Owen:

Marriage: Bet. 1728 - 1762

Child of Samuel Darby and Hanna Owen is:

6 i. Owen Darby, born 13 July 1782 in New Jersey;
died 26 March 1844 in Indianapolis, Marion Co., in; married Margaret Frits
1799 in Monongalia County, Va.

14. John Michael Frits, born Abt. 1730 in Germany. He married 15.
Nancy.

15. Nancy

Child of John Frits and Nancy is:

7 i. Margaret Frits, born 03 March 1783 in
Virginia; died 02 January 1822 in Ohio; married Owen Darby 1799 in
Monongalia County, Va.

Generation No. 5

16. William Thomas Sumpter, Sr., born 18 August 1695 in Histon,
Cambridge, England; died Bef. 07 July 1782 in Louisa County, Virginia. He
was the son of 32. Nicholas Sumpter II and 33. Katherine Mathews. He
married 17. Elizabeth Patience (Dulce') Iveson 18 June 1728 in England.

17. Elizabeth Patience (Dulce') Iveson, born Abt. 1695 in England;
died Abt. 1806.

Notes for William Thomas Sumpter, Sr.:

According to Draper MSS: The only daughter born to William and wife
Elizabeth was Patience. William and Elizabeth settled in Hanover Co., VA
where William owned and operated a grist mill on Preddy's Creek near Piney
Mountain. The county is now Albemarle but was Louisa County in 1743-52 and
Hanover County in 1734-43. It was here that their five children were born.
Patience lived with her first husband, John Franklin, between
Charlottesville and Staunton, VA. Mr. Franklin died of lock-jaw.

Harold E. Sumpter, "Sumpter, A Branch of the Family Tree (Turney, Mo.), 1,
"Our ancestor, William Thomas Sumpter, born in 1692 in Histon, Cambridge
County, England, came to America and the Colony of Virginia in the early
1700s. Soon after arriving in this country, he became acquainted with a
widow, Elizabeth Patience Iveson. They fell in love and later married on the
18th of June, 1728 in Hanover County, Virginia."

However, Elizabeth and her husband William died in Cambridge, likely having
never come to America. Another William and Elizabeth may have been the
parents of the General and his siblings. It makes one wonder if the marriage
date & place are reliable.

More about William Thomas Sumpter, Sr.:

Occupation: Miller

Will: 07 July 1752, Louisa County, Virginia

More about Elizabeth Patience (Dulce') Iveson:

Occupation: Housewife

More about William Sumpter and Elizabeth Iveson:

Marriage: 18 June 1728, England

Children of William Sumpter and Elizabeth Iveson are:

8 i. William Thomas Sumpter, Jr., born 29 August
1731 in Hanover County, Virginia; died 23 October 1819 in Burke County,
North Carolina; married Judith Randall Abt. 1754 in Albemarle County,
Virginia.

ii. John Sumpter, born 1733 in Preddy's Creek,
Hanover County, Virginia; died 13 June 1798 in Manchester County, Virginia;
married (1) Anna Blaize; married (2) Catherine Booker 1762 in Albemarle
County, Virginia; born 1737 in Virginia.

Notes for John Sumpter:

>From the book "Sumpter - A Branch of the Family Tree" by Harold E. Sumpter

'John ... was also a farmer and lived in Albemarle County, Virginia. There
has been considerable controversy as to the birth of John. Some believe that
Gen. Thomas was older but I am led to believe that John was older. According
to the will of William, his sons William and John were the only children old
enough to be named in William's will. Evidently the other children were not
of age to be named in the will.'

'A short time after his father's death John purchased 250 acres on September
10, 1775. (Deed Book 3, p. 673). In 1777 John purchased 101 acres in
Albemarle County near Miney Mountain from his brother, William and wife,
Judith. In 1780 John Sumpter and wife Catherine, sold their properties and
followed William to Burke County, North Carolina.

In 1762 John's land grants in Albemarle County, Virginia exceeded a thousand
acres. They moved to Halifax County, Virginia, and then to Burke County, NC.
According to records documented in the D. A. R. John Sumpter served in the
war of the Revolution. He was a private in the Halifax County Militia in
Virginia. After his move to North Carolina, he was appointed rank of Captain
in the Burke County Militia. (Proof of service: 1780 Index of Revolution
Soldiers of Virginia Service, 9th Virginia Regiment Halifax County Militia).

John and Catherine had a family of nine children. Since John was not listed
in the Burke County census after 1780, it is believed he died about
1787-1788 in Burke County.'

More about John Sumpter:

Land Purchase 1: 10 September 1775

Land Purchase 2: 1777, Albemarle County near Miney Mountain, VA

Land Sale: 1780, Albemarle County, VA

Military service 1: Halifax County, Virginia

Military service 2: Abt. 1780, Burke County, North Carolina

Move: 1780, Burke County, North Carolina

Marriage Notes for John Sumpter and Catherine Booker:

Two separate sources on IGI Individual Record for birth. The one listed in
the charts, and this one:

12 Dec 1809 - Caldwell, North Carolina

More about John Sumpter and Catherine Booker:

Marriage: 1762, Albemarle County, Virginia

iii. Thomas Sumpter, born 14 August 1734 in
Hanover County, Virginia; died 01 June 1832 in South Mount Plantation near
Statesburg, South Carolina; married Mary Cantey Jameson Abt. 1765 in
North/South Carolina.

Notes for Thomas Sumpter:

Thomas Sumpter was a Brigadier General during the Revolution War. His
nickname was old "Gamecock". Fort Sumpter, SC (located near Charleston) was
named for this famous General, as well as Sumpter County. Thomas preferred
removing the "p" from the name for some reason.

iv. Patience Sumpter, born Aft. 1728 in Hanover
County, Virginia; died Abt. 1805 in Albemarle County, Virginia; married (1)
James Suddarth, Sr. 09 December 1746 in Albemarle Co., Va; married (2) John
Benjamin Franklin Abt. 1751; born 1730 in St Ann, Albemarle, VA, USA; died
1751 in Profitt, Albemarle, VA, USA.

Notes for Patience Sumpter:

Patience SUMPTER's first husband was John Benjamin Franklin and he was
supposedly the nephew of Benjamin Franklin

More about Patience Sumpter:

Occupation: Housewife

More about John Franklin and Patience Sumpter:

Marriage: Abt. 1751

v. Edmund Sumpter, born Abt. 1738 in Hanover
County, Virginia; died Abt. 1790 in Charlotte County, Virginia; married
Claudine Anne Buester Abt. 1755; born Abt. 1738; died 1755.

Notes for Edmund Sumpter:

>From the book "Sumpter - A Branch of the Family Tree" by Harold E. Sumpter

'Edmund Sumpter was born about 1738 in Hanover County, Virginia. The
first record to be found of Edmund was in the list of tithables for the year
1764 in Lunenburg County, Virginia. There is also on record a land transfer
to Edmund Sumpter in October 1768, in Charlotte County, Virginia. Edmund
Sumpter and wife, Anne, had nine children. Edmund died sometime before 1797
since a deed dated June 1, 1797, mentions Anne Sumpter, widow of Edmund
Sumpter.'

More about Edmund Sumpter and Claudine Buester:

Marriage: Abt. 1755

vi. Dorcas Sumpter, born Abt. 1742 in Hanover
County, Virginia.

22. Joseph Guerrin, born Abt. 1730 in Morris County, New Jersey.

Child of Joseph Guerrin is:

11 i. Elizabeth Guiering, born Bet. 1748 - 1750 in
Morris County, New Jersey; died Aft. 1815 in Roane County, Tn; married
Robert Kirkpatrick 04 August 1768 in Morris, New Jersey.

Generation No. 6

32. Nicholas Sumpter II, born Abt. 1669 in Histon, Cambridge,
England; died in St. Botolph, Histon, Cambridge, England. He was the son of
64. Nicholas Sumter, Sr. and 65. Mary ?. He married 33. Katherine Mathews
29 April 1688 in Cambridge, England.

33. Katherine Mathews, born 22 December 1673 in St. Botolph,
Histon, Cambridge, England; died 1728 in Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.

Notes for Nicholas Sumpter II:

Nicholas was a church warden (from Histon Parish Records for 02 Oct 1710, 12
Dec 1715, 12 Feb 1716 From research by Frank Daniels

More about Nicholas Sumpter and Katherine Mathews:

Marriage: 29 April 1688, Cambridge, England

Children of Nicholas Sumpter and Katherine Mathews are:

i. Nicholas Sumpter III, born 03 March 1687/88
in Impington, Cambridge, Eng.

ii. Patman Sumpter, born 1690 in Impington,
Cambridge, Eng; married Elizabeth Howlett 24 January 1715/16 in Histon,
Cambridge, Eng; born Abt. 1695 in Histon, Cambridge, England.

More about Patman Sumpter:

Christening: 06 April 1690, Impington, Cambridge, Eng

More about Patman Sumpter and Elizabeth Howlett:

Marriage: 24 January 1715/16, Histon, Cambridge, Eng

iii. Mara Sumpter, born 1692 in Impington,
Cambridge. Eng.

More about Mara Sumpter:

Christening: 20 February 1691/92, Impington, Cambridge, Eng

16 iv. William Thomas Sumpter, Sr., born 18 August
1695 in Histon, Cambridge, England; died Bef. 07 July 1782 in Louisa County,
Virginia; married Elizabeth Patience (Dulce') Iveson 18 June 1728 in
England.

Generation No. 7

64. Nicholas Sumter, Sr., born 1649 in Histon, Cambridge, England;
died Abt. 31 August 1693 in Histon, Cambridge, Eng. He married 65. Mary ?.

65. Mary ?

Notes for Nicholas Sumter, Sr.:

Research on Nicholas was done by Frank James Daniels, P. O. Box 2568 Aubum,
Washington 98071

More about Nicholas Sumter, Sr.:

Name 2: Nicholas Sumter I

Date born 2: Histon, Cambridge, Eng

Burial: 31 August 1693, Histon, Cambridge, Eng

Children of Nicholas Sumter and Mary ? are:

32 i. Nicholas Sumpter II, born Abt. 1669 in
Histon, Cambridge, England; died in St. Botolph, Histon, Cambridge, England;
married Katherine Mathews 29 April 1688 in Cambridge, England.

ii. William Sumter, born 1665 in Histon,
Cambridge, England; died 1665 in Histon, Cambridge, England.

iii. Patman Sumpter, born 06 April 1690

iv. Mara Sumpter, born 20 February 1691/92

Deb McKay

Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee