SURNAME-ORIGINS-L Archives

Archiver > SURNAME-ORIGINS > 2004-10 > 1097794124

From: "Rick and Susan" <>
Subject: Re: [SURNAME-ORIGINS] PRIDEAUX
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:49:29 -0400

Thank you.
All this is so interesting.
And I really like the French, pray God.
Susan
BTW Did anyone find out more about the De La O yet? That discussing was interesting too.
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 10:56 PM
Subject: [SURNAME-ORIGINS] PRIDEAUX

Suzanne wrote:

Prideaux is a Norman name.
Paganus Prideaux came to England with William
I understand the French would be translated "pray God".
A prie-dieu is a kneeler used by Roman Catholics and
means something very similar to "pray to God." It is
most often seen in funeral parlors and accommodates
one person at a time.

Those who prefer a Cornish/Welsh origin say that
the word meant "nature" or "that's the way it is."
This complicates or may contradict what I've
previously said but all these meanings have
come up in various places. I'd stick with
the Norman French even tho' Cornwall
was a place where your ancestors lived.

Gary