SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > SURNAMES > 1995-05 > 0799892133

From: Pathcpis <>
Subject: HOLLISTER John; OH,USA / NY,USA / MA,USA; 1817-1859
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 19:15:33 -0500

My name is Pat Tucker. I am a historic archaeologist with Firelands
Archaeological Research Center, Milan, Ohio. I have been working with
Coreen Hallenbeck, Albany, New York (a certified genealogical researcher)
on tracking down a former Revolutionary War soldier whose cabin from
1830-1835 in Wood County, Ohio, was excavated several years ago by the
University of Toledo. I am currently working on a report of the material
culture from the excavations and historical background on Robert Dunlap.

Both Coreen an I are having problems tracing John Hollister who owned the
property upon which the Dunlap cabin resided. John Hollister came to
Perrysburg, OH, about 1817 with his brother Benjamin F. and became a
prominent merchant and local politician, and even mayor of Perrysburg
(1835-1837) before he left in 1859 for Buffalo, New York. Just today
through fortunate circumstances I stumbled onto an old newspaper article
that stated John Hollister was from Berkshire County, Massachusetts.

Can anybody assist me in either providing more information on John
Hollister or how to proceed in getting information on his family and
background in Berkshire County, MS, or Buffalo, NY.?

I am planning to present a paper to the Society for Historical Archaeology
Conference in Cincinnati, OH, on 2-7 Jan 96. Any assistance in this
matter will be greatly appreciated and proper credit given in the paper
and report that will be published after the conference by Dave Stothers
(The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio) and myself.

Pat Tucker

This thread: