SUSSEX-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > SUSSEX-PLUS > 2000-11 > 0973268029

From: "nlas.newman" <>
Subject: Re: Heritage Craft School in Chailey
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:13:49 -0000

Hi Paul,

On our last visit to St Peters Church in Chailey (checking the Parish
Register transcripts for the CRUSE family!), we bought a small booklet there
entitled 'Chailey Through the Centuries', edited by Edwin Matthias. From
this, it would appear that the Heritage school is still there. The book
says 'There are two hospitals.........Chailey Heritage, for handicapped
children. This latter also has a craft school and powered limbs research
unit.'

and then...

'On North Common on the site originally occupied by the Workhouse, is the
world famous Chailey Heritage. In 1903 Dame Grace Kimmins and her friend
Alice Rennie gave a home here to seven physically handicapped boys from the
East End of London. Today there are about 160 physically handicapped
residential and day pupils on three sites on Chailey Common. At the New
Heritage site there are hospital wards, day rooms for lessons, therapy
units, rehabilitation engineering, operating and X-ray, an indoor swimming
pool and all weather riding surface, and two bungalows for visiting parents
and older children. The Old Heritage has the main school buildings,
dormitories, gymnasium, memorial hall and St Martin's Chapel, built in 1913
and designed by Sir Ninian Cooper; and St Georges, up by the windmill is a
residential building for older children. Pouchlands Cottage and Chailey
Heritage are listed as buildings of special architectural or historical
interest.'

No mention of the Revd. Ford that I could see, though.

Hope this is of some use,

Regards,
Nigel Newman
Gosport, Hampshire