SUTHERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > SUTHERLAND > 2008-07 > 1217519407

From: "Richard" <>
Subject: Re: [SUTHERLAND] Lucinda Sutherland m. James J Taylor
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:50:07 -0400

Hello Laine,

I saw your entry of William W. Sutherland b.1826 TN. Your comment that Wm went to MO with "Uncle Will" caught my attention. I have Cherokee Indian married a Ruhemma Cartwright. Their daughter Margareth Cartwright m. George Marcum b.VT. Of that marriage, one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Marcum was born shortly before George Marcum died in his 20's. George died in MO. His daughter Mary was born in MO. His daughter Mary Elizabeth married William Augustus Sutherland. I have the family listing with their children as living near Lincoln, IL.
I have been searching for more info for Wm A. Sutherland born in NY, died IL. Considering that my Wm was in MO to have met Mary Elizabeth and you have an "Uncle Will" in MO at possibly the same general time, might there be a connection? Your mention of "that is all we know of his past".....is that for WW Sutherland or Uncle Will? I have been searching for many years for the background for William Augustus Sutherland but have found nothing except b in NY, lived in MO, d IL. To make it more strange is that he had 6 children, the family had numerous reunions over the years, no one has any information on the man. My father is the son of Wm's first child, Mae Sutherland who died within a year of my fathers birth. I am the last of my line to try to get this man identified as to who, where, what, why so have no further way to go.
I appreciate anything that might show me this man existed. Thanks
Richard Ashley