SUVCW-L Archives

Archiver > SUVCW > 2009-08 > 1250690539

From: Jim Pahl <>
Subject: Re: [SUVCW] Any National Encampment Reports?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:02:19 -0700 (PDT)

Brother Beard and others interested:

I would like to comment on the IRS issue.  Our previous accountant advised that we could give our national officers unaccounted for expense accounts, upon the proven assumption that they would actually spend far more than the expense money provided.  I can testify from my own experience as a former National Treasurer and Past Commander in Chief, this is indeed true.

When this past accountant stopped filing our annual income tax return, we fired him and hired a new accountant.  We contacted the IRS about the back income tax returns and they allowed us to file late (4 years worth), without penalty, as we discovered the problem and brought it to their attention, with adequate action on our part to correct the issue.  The new accountant completed the returns - which the IRS audited.  They ruled that unaccounted for expense accounts are taxable income to the recipient and the Order was fined for back taxes owed.  We have quickly changed over to an accountable system, so this will not happen again.  I have begun to discuss legal action against our former accountant, but not widely - maybe it is time for me to do so with our current commander in chief.

As to the financial help in keeping the books, our former National Treasurer, Max Newman, was working 60+ hours a week on the books of the Order, possible as he was retired.  Rich Orr volunteered to fill out the remainder of the term to help the Order out, but only upon the condition that we hire a bookkeeper to assist.  This is a temporary solution and gives the Order a year to seek out a new National Treasurer and explore other methods of keeping our books.  We do not want to bring something to the floor of next years Encampment that will involve the raising of per capita, but I have to be frank here, this is a possibility.  We are anticipating an expense of $15,000 to $20,000 to retain a bookkeeper.

Hope this explains things for everyone.  We need to find a long term solution to our bookkeeping and National Treasurer issues.  We have a year, but as we all know, a year goes quickly.  Please discuss this, as we need to find a competent person who can step in and do this important job for us.

Jim

James B. Pahl
Past Commander-in- Chief.