SWAIN-L Archives

Archiver > SWAIN > 2003-08 > 1060968118

Subject: [SWAIN-L] Re: SWAIN-D Digest V03 #19
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:21:58 EDT

Michelle,
There are two references to Gurganus in Bob's book. The first one is
regarding land John Swain left his sons--John who had died about 1806 leaving an
infant daughter Cynthia and Jehu who died single in 1799. The sisters of John and
Jehu and their husbands contested Jehu's will, and Bob writes, "A jury of men
made distribution of the land on 23 Jan. 1818 as follows: Lot. No. 1 to
Cynthia Swain, No. 2 went to George Clements (husband of Sarah Swain), No. 3 to
David Gurganus, and No. 4 to Willis Reddick (husband of Ruth Swain)."
The second reference is to Ann Swain, b. 1853, daughter of Cleophus Swain, b.
1821, Tyrrell Co. NC, and Ann Elizabeth Davenport, b. 1828 dau. of Stephen.
Ann Swain married Joe Gray Gurganus, b. 1850, d. 1882. Children: John, Ben,
Della, Ardean and Joe G. Garganus, Jr.
I have the 1990 edition of Bob's book, and he did publish a 2nd edition
before his untimely death, but I don't have a copy of that one to check for further