SWEDEN-L Archives

Archiver > SWEDEN > 2002-11 > 1038608534

From: Chris Troy <>
Subject: [Sweden] Re: Head Cheese/Pressylta recipe
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:22:14 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol Vanlandingham" <>
Date: Friday, November 29, 2002 6:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Sweden] Re: Swedish Christmas Recipes

> Hi all,
> I have been busy with my family for Thanksgiving dinner and just
> saw the
> messages about Sylta. My mother made Sylta, very much like Chris
> Troy'srecipe but she made it from a freshly butchered pig from the
> head and neck
> meat. We called it head cheese and all of us loved it cold, some
> of them
> like a little vinegar on it. I liked it plain. She put it up in
> round stone
> crocks and weighted it down with a stone on top of a small plate.
> Carol

Hi Carol

Here's the recipe I have for Head Cheese (Pressylta in Swedish) -
similar in some ways but not the same as sylta:

Head Cheese - Pressylta

1/2 hog's head (about 5 lbs)
2 lbs lean pork
2-2 1/2 lbs veal shoulder
1 large piece hog's rind

To every quart water:

1 tbsp salt
5 whole allspice
5 white peppercorns
1-2 cloves
1/2 bay leaf
2-3 slices onion
1/2 carrot

Spices (Do not add to cookpot)

Mix together:
2 tbsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Clean hog's head and singe off hair and bristles. Clean teeth with
stiff brush and cut off ears. Soak in cold water 6-12 hours, changing
water if necessary. Place with other meats and rind in boiling water to
cover. Bring water to boiling point again, skim and add remaining
ingredients other than those listed under Spices above. Simmer 1 1/2-2
hours or until tender. Remove meat and cut rind away from head.

When cold, cut all meat in thin slices. Spread cloth or towel wrung out
in hot water in deep bowl and line with rind, right side down. Arrange
fat and lean meat in alternate layers, sprinkling spices on each layer,
and cover with pieces of rind. Pull cloth together tightly and tie
securely with string. Place head cheese in saucepan, cover with stock
and cook slowly for 10 minutes. Remove to platter, cover with board
and put weight on top for 24 hours. Then remove cloth, keeping head
cheese in strongly salted water. Serve sliced with pickled beets.

Cheers, Chris

This thread: