SW_VA-L Archives

Archiver > SW_VA > 2001-01 > 0980477581

From: Phil Crowther <>
Subject: Re: Rocky Station-Charles Cox
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:53:01 -0600

Wilma

Thanks for passing this on. The Rocky Station Fort was still standing
last year, although the new owners were planning on tearing it down
(which they may not have done because it was solidly built and would
have taken a lot of effort). They were kind enough to let me take
a lot of pictures inside and out. Like a lot of forts in those days, it
was really a fortified house that had initially been built by Isaac
Chrisman, Sr. and was, or so I am told, later used as the Courthouse for
Lee County and was also the site of a battle in the War Between the
States. The deed sure looks like a deed for the Fort.

You are right in that Charles Cocke was in command from 1780 to 1782.
It is said that he was in charge of a "company" of Rangers. However, it
appears that, in his case, a "company" was only about 10 men.
Nevertheless, it appears that they did a good job of actively patrolling
the area since, unlike the other forts in the area, theirs was never
overrun.

I am told that there were a lot of skirmishes at the Fort. Have you
ever run across anything describing those skirmishes?

Phil