SZTERN-L Archives

Archiver > SZTERN > 2000-05 > 0957316623

From: "A.K. Masters, Frumious Bandersnatch" <>
Subject: Re: [SZTERN] Welcome, Audrey - Baranoff
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:17:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Audrey.

Isaac - we have several Isaacs on my mom's side (Sztern is my dad's side).
Mom's parents were visiting last week; Grandpa made a point of telling
me (repeatedly) that Isaac, Isidore, Israel, Itzak, etc. were used
interchangably as far as he'd ever heard - they all went by Izzy :-> .
Perhaps make your census search more general and look for all I. Sterns?

Isaac/Isidore/... seems about as common as Abraham Kagan and Sam Cohen
as Jewish names go, alas.

On the Baranoff front: realize you haven't traced back nearly that far,
but I saw one (well two) Baranoff refs on RootsWeb's WorldConnect project.
One is the daughter of the other one. They lived in the 1600s.
Here's the link, for your files, in case you're interested:
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=bern99&id=I0247

Arielle

Audrey said:
> My grandfather Isaac Stern and his wife Anna Sara Baranoff came from
> Russia. One from Minsk, the other from Pinsk. And that is really all I
> know.

This thread: