Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886353020

From: "Leslie Campbell" <>
Subject: CAMPBELL / COWIE and "ignorance"
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 09:10:20 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0116_01BD2EF1.3863C2E0

Thank you to P.K. for asking the question about "Ulster"...I was =
wondering the same thing and didn't want to show my ignorance!

Anyone want to educate me? My Great-grandfather was from Scotland, and =
in the British Army in India in the late 1800's (see reference below). =
I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance, but I don't understand how Scotland =
is "British"....okay, I didn't pay attention in history and geography! =
Be nice, It's taken me a while to get up the nerve to ask such a stupid =
question!

------------------------------------
CAMPBELL, Peter (b. 1861, Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland)
+COWIE, Minna (b. about 1864, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
m. 1884 (Stirling, Scotland)
CAMPBELL, Peter (Nowshera, in the Punjab province of India)
------------------------------------
My great-grandfather, PETER CAMPBELL, was born in Dunblane, Perthshire,
Scotland in 1861.

My great-grandmother was named MINNA COWIE. I don't know her year of =
birth,
but she was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. MINNA was raised on a farm =
in
Aberdeenshire. MINNA was married to PETER in 1884 in Stirling, Scotland.
MINNA accompanied her husband PETER on all his travels.

Their son, also PETER CAMPBELL (my grandfather), wrote the following =
family history:
------------------------------------
"I was born at Nowshera, near Peshawar, in the Punjab province of India, =
part of the country now know as Pakistan. This area was know as the =
Northwest Frontier. My father was in the regular British Army. He =
enlisted in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of the British Army, a =
kilted regiment. He saw service with the regiment in Scotland, England, =
Ireland, twice to India, and Hong Kong, China. We returned to Britain in =
1900, when my Father was appointed Colour-Sergeant of the Territorials =
at Ballachulish in Argyllshire, Scotland. I attended school at =
Ballachulish until 1908 when we moved to the nearby town of =
Kinlochleven. When we moved to Kinlochleven, my Father retired from the =
Army. Late in 1909, we moved to Govan, a suburb of Glasgow, and through =
that winter Dad got the idea to move to Canada. This happened in 1910, =
and we reached Vancouver on May 29. In Govan, I had completed public =
school and had been in high school for a couple of months."
------------------------------------
That's about all I have regarding this branch of my family tree except =
that
PETER and MINNA had children in every country that they visited, except =
England. That would be at least 4 children, plus their son Peter. Any =
CAMPBELL's out there that might fit this description? =20

Any help would be great!

Leslie Campbell

------=_NextPart_000_0116_01BD2EF1.3863C2E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Thank you to P.K. for asking the question about =
"Ulster"...I was=20
wondering the same thing and didn't want to show my ignorance!</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Anyone want to educate me?&nbsp; My Great-grandfather was from=20
Scotland, and in the British Army in India in the late 1800's (see =
reference=20
below).&nbsp; I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance, but I don't understand =
how=20
Scotland is "British"....okay, I didn't pay attention in =
history and=20
geography!&nbsp; Be nice, It's taken me a while to get up the nerve to =
ask such=20
a stupid question!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>------------------------------------<BR>CAMPBELL, Peter (b. 1861, =
Dunblane,=20
Perthshire, Scotland)<BR>+COWIE, Minna (b. about 1864, Aberdeenshire,=20
Scotland)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; m. 1884 (Stirling,=20
Scotland)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; CAMPBELL, Peter=20
(Nowshera, in the Punjab province of=20
India)<BR>------------------------------------<BR>My great-grandfather, =
PETER=20
CAMPBELL, was born in Dunblane, Perthshire,<BR>Scotland in =
1861.<BR><BR>My=20
great-grandmother was named MINNA COWIE.&nbsp; I don't know her year of=20
birth,<BR>but she was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. MINNA&nbsp; was =
raised on=20
a farm in<BR>Aberdeenshire. MINNA was married to PETER in 1884 in =
Stirling,=20
Scotland.<BR>MINNA accompanied her husband PETER on all his=20
travels.<BR><BR>Their son, also PETER CAMPBELL (my grandfather), wrote =
the=20
following family =
history:<BR>------------------------------------<BR>"I was=20
born at Nowshera, near Peshawar, in the Punjab province of India, part =
of the=20
country now know as Pakistan.&nbsp; This area was know as the Northwest=20
Frontier. My father was in the regular British Army.&nbsp; He enlisted =
in the=20
Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of the British Army, a kilted =
regiment. He=20
saw service with the regiment in Scotland, England, Ireland, twice to =
India, and=20
Hong Kong, China. We returned to Britain in 1900, when my Father was =
appointed=20
Colour-Sergeant of the Territorials at Ballachulish in Argyllshire, =
Scotland. I=20
attended school at Ballachulish until 1908 when we moved to the nearby =
town of=20
Kinlochleven. When we moved to Kinlochleven, my Father retired from the=20
Army.&nbsp; Late in 1909, we moved to Govan, a suburb of Glasgow, and =
through=20
that winter Dad got the idea to move to Canada.&nbsp; This happened in =
1910, and=20
we reached Vancouver on May 29.&nbsp; In Govan, I had completed public =
school=20
and had been in high school for a couple of=20
months."<BR>------------------------------------<BR>That's about =
all I have=20
regarding this branch of my family tree except that<BR>PETER and MINNA =
had=20
children in every country that they visited, except England. That would =
be at=20
least 4 children, plus their son Peter. Any CAMPBELL's out there that =
might fit=20
this description?&nbsp; <BR><BR>Any help would be great!<BR><BR>Leslie=20
Campbell<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:"></A><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

------=_NextPart_000_0116_01BD2EF1.3863C2E0--

This thread: