Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886354530

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Credible Journey
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:35:30 -0500

Accolades and many many heartfelt thanks to Curt Sanders of Harrisburg, Pa.

Someday Ian Ross and I will have to give account of the rather incredible
journey we are in the midst of in our search for the ancestors of Alexander
McClay b. 1804 (Ian) and William McClay b. 1800 (John) County Tyrone.

Ian and I have shared information and research to a degree that is both
remarkable and amazing and we both have continued to work, research, write,
ask questions and think, all of which have brought an unexpected amount of
success in advancing our endeavors. PRONI manuscripts, Pindar's Survey,
Muster Roles, Clan Histories, Web Pages, the Campbell List, the Scottish
List, the Scotch-Irish list, obscure maps, to note just a few of the
sources, all have been used and consulted with positive results.

We have added another researcher and contributer to our group, Lee Fuell,
of Ohio. Diarmid A. Campbell of
Denver has accelerated our search immensely by contributing from the depth
of his experience and knowledge and with a printed account from the
Scottish History Society on the name of McLea. By George! he even has an
uncle who owns a farm near Otter on Loch Fyne in Argyll right next to
Lindsaig which Ian and I were trying at the time to locate specifically
(which we now have done).

Then out of the blue comes Curt Sanders who recently joined the S-I list
and who has really no interest in McClay. In reply to my inquiry about a
William McClay who married into the Harris family, founders of Harrisburg,
Curt said he's be happy to check the library there to see what he could
find. Curt mailed me some biographical data. Not only was William married
to the founder's daughter, he was a Revolutionary War hero in his own
right, and the first US Senator from Pennsylvania who served in George
Washington's first Congress! There was even some genealogical data on this
William's father and mother which added to notes that Ian had developed.

In addition, Curt sent me some sources that took a bit of time to get to,
primarily "The Maclays of Lurgan: being a biographical sketch of the
descendants of Charles and John Maclay who came to America in the year
1734, by Edgar S. Maclay, 1889. In the Largo, FL Library (yes, there is a
Largo in Scotland, too) they have consolidated all the Pinellas County
genealogy materials into one central genealogical research facility. Thank
God all the old-times and snow-birds from Pennsylvania who have retired to
the St. Petersburg, FL area have donated masses of Pennsylvania research
material to the library.

I found yesterday the reference cited by Curt in one of Engles books,"
Pennsylvania Genealogies" that has about 5 pages of McClay genealogy IN
ULSTER that confirms Ian's material, makes some corrections to what he had,
and very greatly expands upon it. I mean it is fantastic, incredible.
What a welcome welcome find.

I am talking documentation of ancestors who fell in the battle of the
Boyne, 1690. Dates of birth and marriages of 9 McClays to 1635 that fit
exactly with Ian's material to John Charles McClay, third son of Barron
MacLea of Linsaig. My grandma didn't name me John Charles for nothin'!!!

So thanks, Curt. It was a great lead. And what is super incredible about
this all is not only do we have the connections between Tyrone and Lindsaig
in Argyll, we have in the material we got from Diarmid the connections to
Lismore and the MacLeas who where heriditary physicians to the Lamonts who
where Lords of Lorne, their relationship as a cadet branch to Clan
MacDoughall, their relationship to the Campbells of Argyll as
foster-parents to young Campbells and Dr. Livingston, the African explorer.
The MacLeas were heriditary keepers of the bachuill more, the pastoral
staff of St. Moluag and which was apparantly carried in battle by the Lords
of Lorne, and which is now at the Campbell castle at Inveraray.

Then it's back to Ulster and Ireland. We are descendents of Dunsleve, son
of Aedh Alain and, through the marriage of a Scottish princess to the Irish
prince Anrothan, descendents of Aodh O'Neill, King of the North of Ireland
(1030-1033).

The wonderful thing about Ulster is that EVERYONE is special and related to
a king!

John Giacoletti

Cowan, County Down
McClay, County Tyrone&