Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886355704

From: "Robert T. Hilliard" <>
Subject: RE: Ornery
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:55:04 -0500

Joe,
Maybe you'll appreciate this mule tale -
In one of the battles in the western theater of the Civil War, things were going badly
for the Union Army, then under the command of U.S. Grant before his promotion
to commander of the Army of the Potomac. As the Blues were beginning to fall
back from the battlefield under a Reb advance, a Union teamster (I couldn't resist
using this phrase which now has a quite different meaning) lost control of his team
of mules and they charged forward towards the advancing Greys.
In the confusion of battle, the Union soldiers took this as a rally so they reformed
and charged, retaking the field and eventually winning the battle (I think this was
at Chattanooga).
When the battle was later being discussed and field brevets (promotions) were
being handed out, the subject of the teamster and his heroic mules came up.
The commanding officer suggested that the entire team be given a promotion...
to horses!
This is apparently a true story that I'm recalling from memory from the book,
"Campaigning with Grant", written by Horace Porter, and aide to Grant, after
Grant's death in the late 1800s.
Rob