Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886359871

From: Colleen Eagan <>
Subject: Re: Shawnee and Deleware Indians...
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:04:31 -0500

At 06:26 PM 1/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Colleen
>
> The Shawnee Indians of the western PA were know to be
>a raiding tribe but as for the Deleware Indians
>
>The Lene Lanapi tribe was one of the first to be with the foreigners
>and learned to live with them in peace. Granted there were small uprisings
>but nothing to say that they were unfriendly.
>
>The Deleware warred with the Iraquois mainly because they were attacked
>by the Iraquois.
>I study Native American Culture and live in an area where the Delewares
>inhabited the lands all the way to Southern MD.
>

>Steve Oge
>
>Thanks Steve,

A FRIENDLY DISPUTE??
My source was William H. Egle, M.D., An Illustrated History of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania [Harrisburg: DeWitt C. Goodrich & Co., 1876],
page 1008. In 1756, there were two Delaware villages in the Sherman's
Valley area where James MCCONNELL and others were living along Big Buffalo
Creek. One Delaware village was located, according to Egle, on the flat
between Big Buffalo Creek and the location of present day Newport, PA. The
other village was located at present day Millerstown. The Shawnee were
located on Duncan's Island a few miles east of Sherman's Valley. The
Delaware had moved west because they had lost their land from "The Walking
Purchase" of 1737. When the Iroquois sold their land out from under them
again in 1755 with the Treaty of Albany, I would characterize them as betrayed.
WRONG CHOICE OF WORDS??
I will concede to your interpretation of the Delaware Indian's friendliness,
but looking at the "raid" from the written history, it appears that the
Delaware villages nearby may have joined in to drive the settlers in
Sherman's Valley away from their homes? I guess what happened was a
friendly misunderstanding? That's o.k., it's all over, anyway, and I like
Native Americans, too, and appreciate your understanding of their culture in
this country. My husband's family has an ancestor "Little Moon" that we
cannot find, yet, but I hope to someday.
IN DIGEST MODE
I really got some responses to my horse thief story; so glad to hear from
everyone. I shall answer the rest of you as soon as I can.

"A people without history is like the wind on the buffalo grass."
Anonymous: Native American Sioux

Best Wishes,

Colleen McConnell Eagan
Gainesville, FL USA