Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886378863

From: "Robert T. Hilliard" <>
Subject: RE: Finley
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:21:03 -0500

Jan,
No problem. I can't recall the dates on your original post, but another little tip
that might help is that Rostraver (at least part of it) is located along the
Youghiogheny (pronounced YOCK-uh-gay-knee) River. If the timing is right
you could surmise that your Finleys came by way of Braddocks Road, which
roughly followed the Yough from MD, or perhaps the National Road, which
also passed through the area. People who later followed Forbes Trail or Road
(now approximately the route of the PA Turnpike) tended to end up nearer to
Pittsburgh or north.
This is extremely generalized, but it could help. If you ever need more details
on the history of the area, drop me a note. I'm sometimes slow, but I am
thorough.
Regards,
Rob