Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886393988

From: Joseph Fowler< >
Subject: Re: Scots Pot Stills?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 23:33:08 -0500

Bonnie,great response.Two years ago I visited a distillery located in
Scotland where the barley was sun dried,thus did not give the whiskey
that smokey,peat taste.They aged their whiskey in white oak barrels that
had previously held sherry.When they were properly aged,it was poured
from the barrels and was bottled.The empty barrels were stored in the
sun to dry.TALK ABOUT A WONDERFUL AROMA! The copper pot stills here
were three stories high.I beleive the pot still we have been talking
about is the household model.three to five gallon capacity that you
could sit on the cook stove or in the edge of the fireplace. There the
family private stock would be made. Take care,Joe

This thread: