Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886449053

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Scot Catholics?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 19:50:53 +0000

wrote:

> Hello all,
> A curious thought has passed my might and I decided to throw it up to you
> all. My great-grand father was a Scot...a John Cameron...who married a
> catholic Irish lass in Tralee. Would it be likely that he was a Catholic? I
> know enough to be very skeptical about the possibility that he was, but would
> like some opinions.
It would be perfectly possible that he was a Catholic.
While many people identify Scotland with the reformed faith, the
Reformation was not complete. There were pockets of Catholicism in the
Highlands and Islands and in the North East. They were numbered
however in no more than hundreds. Bishop Hay's census of 1780
estimated only 6,600 Total pop in 1795 say 1.5M (Sinclair). Many of
the original Scottish Roman Catholics were Jansenist
From the late 18th Century there was a spectacular increase of the
Roman Catholic Population.
There was a growth of industry in the western and central lowlands,
providing opportunities for immigrants, especially from Ireland. The
98 and famine providing the incentive for emigration.
In 1795 there were only 50 Catholics in Glasgow, by 1829 there were
25,000. In Edinburgh there were only about 1,000, which by 1839 had
increased to 14,000. By 1885 there were at least 342,000 Roman
Catholics in Scotland, 220,000 in the diocese of Glasgow.
In the early Twentieth Century there was a considerable influx of
Catholics from Italy, and in connection with the second world war
Ukrainians and Poles.
Today the Roman Catholic Church shares with the Church of Scotland
the overwhelming number of Christians in Scotland. The exact
relationship being difficult to work out because of the different ways
of calculating the membership of their faith communities.
Edward Andrews
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: