Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886502125-01

From: Bonnie M Fountain< >
Subject: Re: HAGGIS: Recipe for the brave
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 05:35:25 EST

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:06:30, -0500 ( BOBBIE M HALL)
writes:
>Warning: If you are SQUEEMISH - hit the DELETE key !!
>
>>From my 1968 Scottish Women's Rural Institutes Jubilee
>Cookery Book comes this recipe (flame me not for off-topic
>or I'll send you some):
>
>HAGGIS
>1 lb lean mutton
>2 cupfuls oatmeal
>4 onions
>1/4 lb suet
>1 pint liquid
>pepper and salt
>stomach bag of sheep and the pluck
>(pluck=lights, liver and heart)
>
>Wash the stomach bag in cold water and salt. Boil pluck for
>1 1/2 hours, leaving windpipe attached and hanging out of pot
>in order that impurities may pass out. When cooked and cold,
>cut away windpipe and any skin and gristle adhering to it.
>Mince the pluck (leaving out some of the lights) along with
>mutton and suet. Toast oatmeal in the oven and chop onions and
>herbs (if desired). Put into a bowl the minced ingredients, toasted
>oatmeal, chopped onions, herbs, salt and pepper. Add about 1 pint
>of the liquid in which the pluck was boiled and mix all together
>till
>of a soft consistency. Take sheep's bag and fill a little more than
>half full (allow room for the meal to expand). Sew up tightly, prick,
>
>and tie in cloth. Put into a pan of boiling water with a plate at the
>
>bottom and boil for three or four hours. Prick occasionally to
>prevent bursting.
>

>I also have a recipe for sweet haggis, if anyone would like it :>
>Made with the sheep's stomach and substituting raisins for the
>other "sheep parts".
>
>There's also a recipe for Sheep's Head Broth, should you find
>it necessary to use -all- of the parts of your sheep.
><waste not, want not?>
>Or how about Hatted Kit, which has you start by carring your
>dish to the side of a cow to milk it... Drat... I need a cow...
>
>Cheers, and bon appetite!
>Bobbie

Hi Bobbie!

Can't believe you have that cookbook! I have what I assume to be an
earlier version published by the same group. I say that 'cause there's
no pub. date and my copy is pretty battered.... it came to me used, alias
antiquarian.

The only difference I noticed in your original recipe and mine is that
mine calls for double the amount of suet! Wonder if the threat of high
cholesterol was the cause of this change, or if one of the recipes has a
typo. I know there'll be lots of folks who will want to consider this
before they make this delectable dish, so thought I had best get this off
right away.

I love the part "leaving windpipe attached and hanging out of pot in
order that impurities may pass out."

Too bad they don't give instructions on what do when the cook passes out.

And can't you just imagine that thing bursting?

Thanks for a memorable and valuable message!
Bonnie

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

This thread: