Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886522947

From: <>
Subject: Re: First Scottish settlers came here from and when.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:22:27 -0800

Szucs Janet wrote:

> According to the book "A History of Simcoe County," by A.F.Hunter
> Groups of first settlers Page 64.
> Scots (from Sutherlandshire at first, Immigrants with Lord Selkirk's Red
> River Colonists. Seventeen families, located here in 1819) West
> Gwillimbury Co., Ontario.
>
> Scots (from Islay, Argyleshire, Begun in 1832) Oro and Nottawasaga
> chiefly, and a few families of the same migration into Medonte, Orillia,
> Sunnidale CountiesOntario.
>
> Scots (Lanarkshire and Refrewshire, via Dalhousie Township, Ont., in 1832.
> Many Glasgow and Paisley weavers were among these.) Innisfil, Essa
> Counties, Ontario
>
> Scots (Dumfriesshire, 1832 to 1850) Innisfil Co., Ont.,.
>
> Irish ( begun in 1830. Prostestants from Ulster. Extensive settlement)
> West Gwillimbury, Tecumseth, Innisfil, Essa, Tossorontio Counties, in
> Ontario.
>
> Irish Palatines (about 10 families in 1831) West Gwillimbury Co., Ont.
>
> Irish (Catholics, begun in 1828) Adjala, Vespra, Flos, Medonte, and
> Nottawasaga Counties, Ontario.
>
> Irish (from Londonderry in 1850, etc.) Innisfil Co. Ontario
>
> Hope that helps some of us. <g>
>
> Janet.
>
> You wrote:
> Surnames: STARK,SLIMMON,WILSON,GILLES, Just starting on this line. My
> 3rd Great-Grandfather JOHN STARK b. 1791 Scotland m. date unk. MARGRET
> WILSON b. 1807 Scotland They left Scotland And by 1838 was living in
> Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada Their son JAMES STARK b. 1838 Ontario, Can.
> m. 1 April 1863 ELIZABETH SLIMMON b. 1845 / 1850 SCOTLAND d/o ROBERT
> SLIMMON b. ? wife ANN (ANNIE)GILLES I Have NO Idea where in Scotland
> they came from, Any help, on any names or info would be VERY MUCH
> appreciated. THANK YOU ALL. Kathy Newton e-m
>
> ______________________________

Dear Janet,

Have never heard of the counties mentioned in this book, in all my years
of research in Ontario, but perhaps you can teach me something I do not
know. The counties mentioned sound more like townships. Orillia &
Tecumseth (Tecumseh), for example.
I have many Ontario kin.

Thanks,

Joan Somers
San Diego, Ca.

Researching
LOGAN/SECORD(SICARD)/SIDER/CLIMENHAGA/MABEE(MABILLE)/MILLARD/DAMUDE(DEMUTH)in
Ontario, Canada/New YORK/Pa.
http://www.netcom.com/~jsomers/jsomers.ht

This thread: