Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886537898

From: <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:31:38 EST

Linda
From what I iknow of my Irish potato people, they were not r eally
stereotypical.
They were Catholic, they had big families, they were not original in selecting
their kids';names (making my search that much arder.)
But they were hard working. They settled and acquired land as fast as they
could. They strove to give their kids educations. they gave one son or
daughter -- or both -- to the church. They tried to become good Americans.
My Irish family were very loving, laughed a LOT. Unfortunately, some of them
drank a lot, but they never caroused. My father, potato descendant all the
way, was one of the mosts loving men I have ever known. so proud of his
family. he instilled in my sister and me a love of life, of learning, of God.
What more can you ask for?
My grandson made a remark following a family funeral:
"I like being in your family, Grandmother. Everybody loves and respects each
other and everybody has fun."
Can you think of a higher compliment?
Call me a Potato Head if you wish. I take it as a compliment. I am proud of my
famine immigrants.
love'j
joan

P.S. did not intend to post this to the list until I saw that Linda had also
replied there. Don't think we ned to carry this any farther, however.
I respect her feelings, and I am sure she does mine.

This thread: