Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886545314

From: <>
Subject: Picts/Myths & Civil War
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:35:14 EST

Whew Linda-

You sure stirred the pot today! Considering the issues, let me say this about
that!

First to the Picts- I have given careful consideration to the view points
presented. Study Latin. The stories read are the classic Greco Roman myths.
The myths themselves are not historical accounts, so why have they survived
for centuries? The tales of Zeus and Hera, Hercules and Mercury. Why? They
do not give an account history of the period, and yet they live on. Because
those myths tell us about the minds and hearts of the people of that day.
Those people worshipped those gods and built legends around them. There were
shreds of truth in them as well. Myths are a mix of bits and pieces of real
life, and the writer's mind's eye of the past.

American Civil War- While there were social, economic, and political issues to
be considered, the Civil War was fought for one major reason. One man weighed
the counsel of his advisors, considered the events of the day, and
contemplated the future of his country. Abraham Lincoln realized the United
States of America could not stand were it to divide. Had another man been
president of the United States, the decision may have been different. Instead
of one country united as we are today, another man may have allowed the South
to secede. In light of the events of the early to mid 20th century, modern
Americans could easily be speaking German.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Sharon in MO

This thread: