Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886558147

From: "alice white" <>
Subject: Fw: Your 'Have A Nice Day' Laugh #0684
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:09:07 -0700

I found this on a humor list I subscribe to - thought you might enjoy --
Alice in Phoenix

Date: Sunday, February 01, 1998 6:56 AM

Your 'Have A Nice Day' Laugh is a true story:

A British family journeyed to Scotland for a summer vacation. The mother
and father were looking forward to enjoying the beautiful Scottish
countryside with their young son. But one day the son wandered off all by
himself and got into trouble. As he walked through the woods, he came
across an abandoned swimming hole, and as most boys his age do, he took off
his clothes and jumped in. He was totally unprepared for what happened
next. Before he had time to enjoy the pool of water, he was seized by a
vicious attack of cramps. He began calling for help while fighting a losing
battle with the cramps to stay afloat. Luckily, it happened that in a
nearby field a farm boy was working. When he heard the frantic cries for
help, he brought the
English boy to safety. The father whose son had been rescued was, of
course, very grateful. The next day, he went to meet the youth who had
saved his son's life. As the two talked, the Englishman asked the brave lad
what he planned to do with his future. The boy answered, "Oh I suppose I'll
be a farmer like my father." The grateful father said, "Is there something
else you'd rather do?" "Oh, yes!" answered the Scottish lad. "I've always
wanted to be a doctor. But we are poor people and could never afford to pay
for my education." "Never mind that," said the Englishman. "You shall have
your heart's desire and study medicine. Make your plans, and I'll take care
of the costs." So, the Scottish lad did indeed become a doctor.

There is more. Some years later, in December of 1943, Winston Churchill
became very ill with pneumonia while in North Africa. Word was sent to Sir
Alexander Fleming, who had discovered the new wonder drug, penicillin, to
come immediately.
Flying in from England, Dr. Fleming administered his new drug to the ailing
prime minister. In doing so, he saved Churchill's life for the second time.
For it was the boy Winston Churchill whom Alexander Fleming had rescued
from the swimming hole so many years before.

By From The Speakers Library of Business
from A Cup of Chicken Soup for the Soul (c) 1996

HAND! Have A Nice Day!

This thread: