Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886576687

From: <>
Subject: McSweeney (sp?)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 98 23:18:07 PST

Hi All,
I received more information on my MCSWEENEY line and have a question. On the 1880 census my gggrandfather is listed as John L. MCSWEENEY b. 1810 and he and both parents born in Ireland. On the 1870 census he is listed as John L. McLevina b. 1820 with same wife & children but it shows he came from England. I don't have the headings for the 1870 census so I don't know if Eng. is where he was born or just the last place he lived. Might the difference in the spelling of the last name just be the census enumerators spelling error or could the name have been changed after arrival or is there a difference in Irish & English spelling of the name? He was not living in the 1900 census so I cannot find the immigration information there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mary

This thread: