Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886578921

From: <>
Subject: Re: McSweeney (sp?)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 02:55:21 EST

Several things could have occurred to cause the name change you indicate.
first) it could have been an error on the part of the census taker if the
person giving the information had a strong accent as in the case of my husband
where McManus came out as McGinnis and their oldest son came out as a girl in
the 1860 NY census

second) if you are using a transcription of the census which was done in some
census areas where the census taker took their records to someone who
reentered or transcribed the data instead of using the original data, the
transcriber could have either missed a half line up or down when transcribing

third) if you used an extract the person doing the extract could have made the
same mistake as the transcriber or, as in the case of my Tackabery which was
extracted as Zachary, did not read the information correctly and put down the
wrong information.

If you have the original I would suspect the first. Otherwise suspect second
or third.

My husband says you should probably check in county Donegal at that is the
most likely source location.

Phyllis

This thread: