Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886625991

From: <>
Subject: Re: AOL Problems - Not really
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:59:51 EST

<< Entering into the discussion....I have been on AOL for over 4 years and
have never had an E-mail problem. Early on the ascii text (foreign letters)
wouldn't travel, but that was a common problem with many servers, it is not
the case today.
I do know that you periodically have to reload your program. (I have
instructions for doing this without losing your various settings, mail,
personal filing cabinet and address book.)
At any rate, it would be better to phone AOL or go to the online
technical
help and ask for a "fix" for the problem than discuss it here on the list.
These people are great to work with. You might find it a very simple
adjustment. >>

I've been on AOL since the beginning (die-hard user here). The problem
happened when AOL updated to the latest version which included enhancements to
the e-mail reader. It does take the HTML mark up and embeds it within the
text. It also uses it to display the e-mail. Thus when it receives a code to
display in a size 1 or size 2 font, it will do so. So, how do we tell a
computer program to ignore the code on one e-mail, but obey it on another?
AOL is working on a better way to do this.

In the meantime, for those AOL users, we have to live with what is sent. For
those who aren't, maybe using text enhancement (color, style, and size)
shouldn't be used for posting to newgroups and mail lists? I don't know, but
we shall see what AOL is going to do in response.

Phil

This thread: