Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886651939

From: "Aaron Orr" <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 23:12:19 -0500

Are we to be drawn into this noxious fen of name-calling again?
The early settlers in America referred to themselves as Scotch-Irish.

the first presbytery in Itreland of the Presbyterian Church was one for
which a cleric gave thanks for the arrival of the "Scotch" army, and he was
a Scot himself.

I thinkk it is preferable, today, to refer to these settlers as Scots-Irish
or Ulster-Scots. Either of these appellations are unlikely to create a
furore on either side of the Atlantic.

A rose by any other name is still a rose - so let's get on with the
business of seeking theconcrete information and eschewing the things that
make for friction and trouble,

Aaron
----------
> From: Betty Bivins <>
> To: Raymond W. Ryan Jr. <>
> Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
> Date: February 4, 1998 7:31 PM
>
> Hey all you people---Scotch is a whiskey--why were they not called
> Scotts-Irish or Scotland-Irish?
> PLease don't all of you answer my question--just the ones who "really'
> know they answer.
> I enjoy reading all the comments on this list serve.
> betty in GEORGIA
> Raymond W. Ryan Jr. wrote:
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Raymond W. Ryan Jr. <>
> > > Subject: Re: The Irish in America
> > > Date: Wednesday, January 28, 1998 1:09 AM
> > >
> > > Hi SaraWeb,
> > > Although the main thrust of the potato famine was felt in the west
and
> > > northwest of Ireland, Northern Ireland also suffered many hardships
> > during
> > > this time due to the blight. I would be interested to know the
source of
> > > information that "then wanted to be known as the "Scotch-Irish." Did
> > they
> > > call themselves "Scotch-Irish" in the 1840s? Also, if they lived
during
> > > that time and in Ireland, why not call them the "potato people"? The
> > > famine was pretty much Ireland-wide. Thanks for your answers.
> > > Best regards,
> > > Ray
> > >
> > > Raymond Whiting Ryan, Jr. (descended from: Boyd, Carmichael,
Harkness,
> > > Andrews, Wilson, Baskin, Skinner, Lester, Butler, Mullins, Edwards,
> > Evans,
> > > Liggan, Aiken, Macklin, Farley, Ryan, and others still trying to
figure
> > > out) equals = Scotch, Irish, English, Welsh, and Scots-Irish.
> > >
> > > --------

> > > pipers
America
> > > was