Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886671361

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: HAGGIS: Recipe for the brave
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:36:01 +0000

Colleen Eagan wrote:

> I think our American dinners have lost something in the translation! So,
> it's a Burns Dinner, is it? Well, it sounds delicious. The bubbling Jock
> rang a bell in my memory.

My father used to call a dish cooked in one pan
> as "bubbling squeak."
I think you are thinking of Bubble and squeak, which is I think a
mixture of potato, cabbage, and something like sausage meet fried up
in a pan.

I don't think it was anything like the English bubble
> and squeak (if that's correct), but that was our American version. My
> children ate my spaghetti dish that I called "bubbling squeak." Well, as I
> said, there's a loss in the translation. I've had the Cock O Leekie soup,
> too, and like it.
Like many maid up dishes, the contents can vary from family to family
or community to community.
> When is your next, yearly performance?
The Burns season runs from mid January on. (people have to recover
from the New Year).
Edward
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: