Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886695796

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:23:16 +0000

Gail H wrote:

> oes this mean to say that my "IRISH"McDonalds are just that,As they
> claim ,and not scotch-irish because they were Catholic?
Like all classifications - outside science - the classification of
S-I is a vague one.
It is not that the McDonalds are not S-I because they are Roman
Catholics, but because, if they are the Glens of Antrim McDonalds,
there were in Ireland for some time before the S-I movement took
place.
There will be some McDonalds - in all the variety of spelling who are
S-I, some who will be Scots, and some who will be Irish.
I know that it is confusing, but you have to remember that we have
got at least four population movements. The crossing between Scotland
and Ireland. Which could have been basically before or after the
Plantation.
The crossing of the Atlantic, which was either in the eighteenth
century or later.
I am very glad that as an historian I am only concerned with the
travel on the Irish Sea. That is quite complicated enough.
If you don't try to put people into neat boxes in an almost
ethnocentric way, then you can enjoy the diversity of people who have
had a journey to get to where they are today.
Religion is only a convenient marker. You have to remember however
that people can change their religious allegiance.
You came into a fairly long running discussion between Bill and
others about the relative relationship between the Irish and the S-I,
(I'm not sure if Bill even believes in the existence of the S-I. On
the other hand Linda is very much into S-I.
Myself. I live in Scotland, but my parents live in Ireland and would
see themselves as Settlers.
I hope that this explains the background
Edward Andrews
--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: