Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886708676

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: Fw: The Irish in America
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Very well said, Edward. I think the SI are the
people who think they are SI as my mother's people
did. There were always leavings and returning
between Scotland and Ireland and even when you view
the Scots as simply one of the tribes of Ireland then
some of them remained in Ireland and some moved into
Scotland and some returned to Ireland from the
highlands and from the islands and others, most of
them I think went from the lowlands and borders to
the plantations. So we are a very diverse group,
but there are some definitive things to distinguish
the SI from the Scots and the Irish. And of course
many of us here in the US and Canada and I'm sure NZ
and Australia have all three as well as some English.
I'm always glad you're on this list.

---Edward Andrews wrote:

> Gail H wrote:
> >
> > oes this mean to say that my "IRISH"McDonalds
are just that,As they
> > claim ,and not scotch-irish because they were
Catholic?
> Like all classifications - outside science - the
classification of
> S-I is a vague one.
> It is not that the McDonalds are not S-I because
they are Roman
> Catholics, but because, if they are the Glens of
Antrim McDonalds,
> there were in Ireland for some time before the S-I
movement took
> place.
> There will be some McDonalds - in all the variety
of spelling who are
> S-I, some who will be Scots, and some who will be
Irish.
> I know that it is confusing, but you have to
remember that we have
> got at least four population movements. The
crossing between Scotland
> and Ireland. Which could have been basically before
or after the
> Plantation.
> The crossing of the Atlantic, which was either in
the eighteenth
> century or later.
> I am very glad that as an historian I am only
concerned with the
> travel on the Irish Sea. That is quite complicated
enough.
> If you don't try to put people into neat boxes in
an almost
> ethnocentric way, then you can enjoy the diversity
of people who have
> had a journey to get to where they are today.
> Religion is only a convenient marker. You have to
remember however
> that people can change their religious allegiance.
> You came into a fairly long running discussion
between Bill and
> others about the relative relationship between the
Irish and the S-I,
> (I'm not sure if Bill even believes in the
existence of the S-I. On
> the other hand Linda is very much into S-I.
> Myself. I live in Scotland, but my parents live in
Ireland and would

http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.htm